• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Replacement widgets for vanilla roms.

silverxbv2

May 4, 2010
Mods please feel free to move this if it's not in the right section. I'm running skyraider 3.0 rc2 vanilla and love it so far. There are only a couple of things that I miss from stock sense. The one that I am after is a bookmark widget. I can't find any on the market. This got me thinking about widgets in general. There should be a list of widgets somewhere for people going to vanilla roms. Is there such a list anywhere? We need one similar to the rooted apps thread. Just a thought. And if someone has any thoughts on a bookmark widget, that would be awesome. Or would the stock one work and where can I find it?

Mods please feel free to move this if it's not in the right section. I'm running skyraider 3.0 rc2 vanilla and love it so far. There are only a couple of things that I miss from stock sense. The one that I am after is a bookmark widget. I can't find any on the market. This got me thinking about widgets in general. There should be a list of widgets somewhere for people going to vanilla roms. Is there such a list anywhere? We need one similar to the rooted apps thread. Just a thought. And if someone has any thoughts on a bookmark widget, that would be awesome. Or would the stock one work and where can I find it?

If you aren't opposed to switching your current launcher, I recommend you try out LauncherPro Plus. It'll cost you a couple bucks, but it has most of the Sense widgets built in.

If you want to replace the clock widget, get Beautiful Widgets.

Reactions: necosino
Upvote 0
Good luck, I spent a lot of time trying to do the same thing. I finally came to my senses and realized I wasted so much time trying to make it look like Sense UI that I should just keep Sense UI.

The flip clock widget is an older build of Beautiful widget with the airportone theme (I believe)

Never found a suitable replacement for the "Favorite"/Contact widget nor the bookmark widget.

My search for replacements also made me realize that there is a lot of really crappy apps out there.

Upvote 0
If you aren't opposed to switching your current launcher, I recommend you try out LauncherPro Plus. It'll cost you a couple bucks, but it has most of the Sense widgets built in.

If you want to replace the clock widget, get Beautiful Widgets.

I'm going to agree with this, this is what I did. LauncherPro Plus gives you a twitter widget, a bookmarks widget, a contacts widget just like senses, and a calendar widget just like senses. I actually like LauncherPro Plus's widgets much more, they just seem to look better. I'm also using Beautiful Widgets, its definitely worth the money. There are so many skins to choose from, which is what I believe makes it worth its money for.

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat. I have flashed the Skyraider Vanilla at least 5 times. I really love the look and feel but I flash back to Skyraider Sense 3.1 normally within a couple hours every time as I miss the Calendar and Favorites widget. I could really care less about the rest of them. I don't care for the SMS app on the Vanilla Rom either. I do like the one on the Sense ROM. Tried Handcent and Chomp on the Vanilla but I don't care much for them either.

Upvote 0
Good luck, I spent a lot of time trying to do the same thing. I finally came to my senses and realized I wasted so much time trying to make it look like Sense UI that I should just keep Sense UI.

The flip clock widget is an older build of Beautiful widget with the airportone theme (I believe)

Never found a suitable replacement for the "Favorite"/Contact widget nor the bookmark widget.

My search for replacements also made me realize that there is a lot of really crappy apps out there.

Lol I figured this out myself when for 5 minutes I thought of using something other than sense. Tried Launcher Pro and realized pretty quick I wasn't gonna be able to make it work/look the way I wanted it to so sense it was.

Upvote 0

Except Sense doesn't let you customize the dock bar, give you scrollable dockbars and scrollable widgets, swype gestures for the dock, rotate your phone home screen (at least on 2.1 when I was using it first), hide apps from the app list, change the number of screens, have a built in count for missed calls AND gmail AND text notifications without a third party widget, change the home key action, the home key default screen, hide the notification bar, hid icon labels, disable scrolling wallpaper... ok I'll stop.

Don't get me wrong. I did almost the same thing at first and I have Beautiful Smaller Home with the flip clock going and use the LauncherPro Plus contacts widget. But once you start really using the apps like LauncherPro Plus and ADW and not just install them to de-sense your home screens you'll be amazed at how much more productive you can be. I held off on using the swype gestures for the dock icons until I realized I could add an up swype to my phone icon to launch my contacts. It went down hill from there. Heh.

Whoa.. long post /10char + too much.

Upvote 0
Wow, this discussion is a lot deeper than I intended it to be. I was simply looking for 2 things I could not find. I did find a workaround though. For my bookmarks I downloaded live bookmarks from the market. You longpress the screen and select it from folders. When you open it on the homescreen it takes up the whole thing, similar to the widget, but it stays open until a reboot. Not as pretty as sense, but it does the same thing.

Upvote 0
The default LauncherPro Plus widgets are almost enough for me. What I really miss is a nice News widget like Sense's. I'd like a full 4x4 widget to display headlines from RSS feeds that I select. I don't care if it has the Sense/LauncherPro look (actually, I'd prefer to be able to customize, or even remove the frame/background like I can with the dock), just a full, scrollable screen of news feeds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones