• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing cracked screen....

The process so far is a very simple one. take the four screws off the front and the four off the back. Snap the four pieces off the front and back that were held on by those screws. Take the gray buttons off the side by prying them off. There will be two more Tri-wing screws on each of the sides of the phone. Take those out then separate the internals of the phone from the outer casing. You will see little slots to help pry them apart. ( randomly two tiny silver pieces of metal will fall out. and maybe a little black piece of plastic. lol.) then unconnect the flash for the camera and unhook the digitizer. ( I don't know why, but it connects under the phones flash. . . .) Then take the shattered digitizer off by prying it off the top. But be careeeeeful, because the LCD sure is closeee to the digitizer. NOWW. . . if someone can figure out where those two pieces of metal go we can put it back togetherr. :)

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed that a Chinese aftermarket screen replacement is around $16.00, and in contrast an official Verizon screen replacement by Casio is $218.00. The official part costs more than I paid for the phone. So, looking at the Chinese knockoff, I wonder if it will work as well, if the touch sensitivity is as precise. I suspect that the Chinese part is probably in patent violation. I've been using my Commando with several cracks all over the screen for a few months now. The phone functions fine. It is simply not easy looking through all the cracks and try to read any text. Possible, but unpleasant. For me the decision to try and replace the screen is somewhat difficult. I have a functional phone now, even though the screen is cracked all over. By ordering the Chinese aftermarket screen and trying to replace it, I risk the functionality of my phone if there is a mistake. I am considering buying a dead Casio Commando with another problem so I can harvest the screen of it, and have a genuine Casio screen as another option but still feel the repair process is somewhat intimidating. I am intimidated by the process and I used to build ham radio kits.

Upvote 0
Well I bought a screen and went through the head ache of taking it completely apart,only to find that now the sensitiveity isn't there.It will not work now.I thought maybe I did something wrong,so I took it apart again,and still doesn't work.I think maybe I should have bought the lcd and digitizer together so they'er fused together.

Upvote 0
Hey folks, I wanted to let the few remaining Commando owners know that I found a cheap and reliable place that will fix our broken screens. Garrett Pohl at Wolf Wireless is "Da Man". For $50 he will replace your digitizer and mail the phone back to you. He is a student, a cell phone service tech, and a firefighter. So give him a a couple days to get the phone fixed and shipped out. Here is his direct email address. Just make sure to put Casio Commando Repair in the subject of the email, and he will get back to you asap.

garrettallen09@hotmail.com

Good day....... :D

Upvote 0
We bought this phone for our son after watching the video where it claims be to rugged and far from fragile. Wish I'd known that the screen could crack so easily. He hasn't even had it six moth. The phone fell out of the side pocket of his cargo pants...he's only five feet tall so it only fell a couple of feet and smashed the screen. Can't even see through screens because of all the cracks. Very disappointed.

Upvote 0
We bought this phone for our son after watching the video where it claims be to rugged and far from fragile. Wish I'd known that the screen could crack so easily. He hasn't even had it six moth. The phone fell out of the side pocket of his cargo pants...he's only five feet tall so it only fell a couple of feet and smashed the screen. Can't even see through screens because of all the cracks. Very disappointed.

Welcome to the AndroidForums, AndroidLoyal.

If you're interested in getting the screen replaced or doing it yourself, here's a YouTube video that shows someone doing it:

(note, the above is only part 1 :)).

Don't have any idea what the screen replacement costs, but thought this might help you out.

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF.

:)

Upvote 0
( randomly two tiny silver pieces of metal will fall out. and maybe a little black piece of plastic. lol.) . . . if someone can figure out where those two pieces of metal go we can put it back togetherr. :)

I was able to, I can show you guys a picture on where they should go. Also I have taken 5 different devices apart at least once each some up to 3 so I can help anyone in taking it apart. For example, for the security (triwing) screws you can use a .5 size flathead and turn the device, and the screws come out.
Maybe if I have time I will make a video of it along with my one on how to root and make recoverable from a system wipe.:)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
First, let me say that I really like my Commando and I don't see why so many people here don't like it. It is built like a tank and not a skinny, slippery piece of plastic. I've taken a dozen of these phones apart so I know.
The screen will break. Its made of glass and if you run over it with your car or drop it from the roller coaster at Six Flags it will break.

Replacing the digitizer is not difficult but it is very tedious and fussy work. In addition, half of those screens on ebay are defective, even the OEM versions. That's why they are $20, or even less if you order them from China.The cheap tri-wing screwdriver with the red handle is not a good choice for this phone. The tip is too big and the handle to small to allow any torque. Get the Eclipse brand set with 4 sizes. You also need a good pry tool. Your fingernails will not be enough. The parts are held together really tight. I made a tool from a paint can lid opener. You could file down a kitchen knife as well.

The video on Youtube is great, but you don't have to take the phone apart as much as he does. The end trim pieces along with the red brackets and test plugs can be left in place. Once you remove the 4 screws on the edges the two haves will come apart.

At this point you have done the easy work. Next you have to get all the glass removed from the frame. On the inside of the glass there is a foam gasket that has to be removed very carefully and saved. Next,you have to remove all the glass. The adhesive gasket that holds the glass in place is rubbery and VERY tacky. You probably won't be able to save most of that gasket. Heating it will help. Be careful! There is also a reflective strip at the bottom of the screen that lights up the front buttons. Replacing that adhesive gasket is another pain. The new digitizers usually don't come with that gasket. You can buy a roll of it on ebay or make your own from the black Scotch double sided heavy duty exterior mounting tape. Its a little thicker than the original but it works.

Now, the easier way is to just buy a broken phone on ebay for $50 and take out the entire digitizer unit with frame and speakers and pop it on your old phone. Use a microfiber cloth to clean the inside of the digitizer and the LCD. This process takes about an hour and works 99% of the time. The other method takes about 3 hours and is about 50% successful.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones