• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replacing SD card in Ace

Smudgeboy

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
Hi all, newbie to the world of Android, and not very tech-savvy, so please be patient with me! :)

I want to replace the pathetic 2Gb SD card that comes with my Galaxy Ace with a ScanDisk 8Gb card.

I tried the obvious - going to Samsung Kies to see if that helped - nada! Useless piece of kit, slow, crashy, uuurrgh! Anyway . . .

I then wondered if it would be as simple as taking the old card out and simply putting the new one in (especially because I don't have much in the way of photos on the old one, and no music/videos etc).

However, when I did this, i noticed that some of the Apps were no longer available, so it's obviously not that simple.

It probably IS reasonably simple if you know how, but I don't. Anybody care to walk me through it?

Cheers, Smudge

I tried this:

I connected the phone to my PC via USB cable, and it appeared as "Removable Disk (H)" in the left column of My Computer. In the right column are about 20 directories, which I copied to a folder on my desktop.

I then took out the old card, inserted the new one and, after following a prompt to re-format the new disk, I re-connected it to the PC - and saw exactly the same 20 directories.

Do I delete all these 20 and replace them with the original ones; or is there one directory in there that is the dedicated SD card directory?

(Told you I wasn't very tecchy!)

Upvote 0
OK, I inserted the new card and connected the phone to the PC. Then, when I clicked on the 'Removable Disk (H)' on My Computer, I get a pop-up box saying 'Please insert a drive in H:'

So I couldn't copy anything across.

I disconnected the phone from the PC, unmounted the new SD card and formatted t, and now when I connect it to the PC, it doesn't appear in My Computer at all.

Incredibly frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones