• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help **Request** Ascend PRL 3020 Update Tutorial

You need to install the Ascend drivers, The download has been posted in a couple threads. The posts were made by Nutmegg. I just cant remember where right now.

On a different note. Went to the other side of town today and I had 3g with the 3019 prl! Then bout an hour later I still had 3g and I went to see what my prl was and it switched to 3020 all on its own!

Upvote 0
On a different note. Went to the other side of town today and I had 3g with the 3019 prl! Then bout an hour later I still had 3g and I went to see what my prl was and it switched to 3020 all on its own!

SO my PRL is STILL 3020. Changed all on its own and now my data didnt work again because of it. So I had to call *228 and change it back. I dont know why it changed since I didnt update the roaming list and I had 3g signal while one 3019!

Attachments

• 3019.jpg
    3019.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 5623.jpg
    5623.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
Ok, so here is what i managed to do :) I installed a bunch of LG software to try to force the new PRL 3020 to the ascend for 3G.. My issue that arose from that is now when i plug in the phone to USB, i get 5 Android Mobile Device driver errors, and 1 USB driver success.. The problem I have is I can no longer connect through ADB.. Keep getting device not found.. I've uninstalled all the LG software, uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for ascend, still no luck.. Anyone been in a situation like this? Its almost time to reformat the laptop but i'm trying to put that off as long as possible..
Hey man, I have the exact same problem and when I try to connect to QPST or SDK my phone dooesnt show up in the list like it isnt being picked up because of the driver issue. Any luck fixing that?

Upvote 0
Hey man, I have the exact same problem and when I try to connect to QPST or SDK my phone dooesnt show up in the list like it isnt being picked up because of the driver issue. Any luck fixing that?

Not yet.. Haven't had too much time to put into it lately though.. Read that some people were having trouble with the drivers and Pg's build so I flashed to 0521 and still no luck.. May try stock this weekend.. Never been stuck like this.. Will digg out the spare laptop soon just to narrow down the problem..

Reactions: mteezey
Upvote 0
Yes most of the cm7 builds have minor USB issues that keep you from pushing the 3020PRL. So if you want to get this done and not have to flash completely stock and start over just flash to PG's Deodexed 2.2 build, push 3020, and then flash back to cm7. Some people get no data with this 2.2 build (me included) but it won't stop the push. This is how I did it and it works great I enjoy 3G almost everywhere I go in town!

Upvote 0
Yes most of the cm7 builds have minor USB issues that keep you from pushing the 3020PRL. So if you want to get this done and not have to flash completely stock and start over just flash to PG's Deodexed 2.2 build, push 3020, and then flash back to cm7. Some people get no data with this 2.2 build (me included) but it won't stop the push. This is how I did it and it works great I enjoy 3G almost everywhere I go in town!

Lemme get this right... if I flash the Deodexed 2.2 QPST will finally see my phone and I can push the 3020 prl, then I can flash back to the build that I'm currently using and the PRL will stay the same?? Will it work if I make a backup then flash 2.2 then restore my backup??

Upvote 0
For those that have completed the step of putting the 3020.PRL or forced it whatever it may be.

go to Dial pad enter *#*#4636#*#* and go into Phone Info at the bottom there will be a drop down of antenna receivers, hit EvDo only and it should acquire signal at the top of the Phone info section you can run ping test

what i found to be weird with this by forcing your 3020.PRL i havent been receiving texts maybe due to APN settings if anyone knows but it does work for those that did it right if it doesn't you can always switch back within Phone Info to CDMA auto (PRL) and your device will work even with 3020.PRL

Reactions: kevinrubio
Upvote 0
For those that have completed the step of putting the 3020.PRL or forced it whatever it may be.

go to Dial pad enter *#*#4636#*#* and go into Phone Info at the bottom there will be a drop down of antenna receivers, hit EvDo only and it should acquire signal at the top of the Phone info section you can run ping test

what i found to be weird with this by forcing your 3020.PRL i havent been receiving texts maybe due to APN settings if anyone knows but it does work for those that did it right if it doesn't you can always switch back within Phone Info to CDMA auto (PRL) and your device will work even with 3020.PRL
okay i changed mine to EvDO only but at the top notification bar my bars has a x over them and no 1x sign or 3g sing, now what do i do?

Upvote 0
from there see about doing a run ping test which is on the phone info tab where you switched to Evdo if it doesn't work then its because there is no signal and try going back to Cdma auto prl and run ring test again ,
its for those that no they have it 3g coverage in there area there are 7 markets for it...if it doesn't work sorry just helping to speed process alil

Upvote 0
from there see about doing a run ping test which is on the phone info tab where you switched to Evdo if it doesn't work then its because there is no signal and try going back to Cdma auto prl and run ring test again ,
its for those that no they have it 3g coverage in there area there are 7 markets for it...if it doesn't work sorry just helping to speed process alil

yup when i run the ping test, my signal strength increases but the overall test failed... still no bars or nothing.
my signal strength increase from -96 dBm to -120 dBm

Upvote 0
Lemme get this right... if I flash the Deodexed 2.2 QPST will finally see my phone and I can push the 3020 prl, then I can flash back to the build that I'm currently using and the PRL will stay the same?? Will it work if I make a backup then flash 2.2 then restore my backup??
Not sure as I didnt do it that way. And I dont know if backups actually backup that kind of data or just your apps and settings. Try it and let us know if it works that way. If not I know the way I did it works.

Upvote 0
Just to give you guys an FYI.. I'm not totally convinced the 3020 PRL doesnt have some issues... That may be why its not available via *228. At least not here in Orlando. And I know that there is 3g here. I forced the update on my Indulge but it just made data very unstable overall. It even affected my stability in areas that I know for a fact have strong 4g signals from personal experience..

I'm not going to say don't try it... but it may not be worth the trouble... I started this thread bc I thought it may help my wife's data speed on her Ascend but after all the problems it caused on my Indulge I decided just to leave it alone.

Good luck to everyone attempting the update.. but like I said it's not all its cracked up to be... at least for me here in Orlando... I would love to hear from someone that has had a positive experience after updating to 3020.

Upvote 0
Was finally able to get prl 3020 on my phone by doing a backup then flashing pg's 2.2, went through the steps then restored my backup. Used the *#*#4636#*#* tip to switch it to edvo only and turned the radio off and on a few times. 3G did actually come up a few times but failed the ping test. I was driving at the time so maybe if I find a stationary location with a good signal I'll have better luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones