• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Retrieve Stored SMS from SD Card

Hello forum!

Newbie here experiencing a bit of bother! I better provide a bit of background for this one!

I had a Samsung Europa phone (my first android) and one day it decided to go haywire and deleted all of my messages, call logs and generally started acting funny. As you can imagine this was quite traumatic as I had a lot of important text messages on there! Heavily dependent on my phone, I bought a new one, this time the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro. (Notice the cheap - entry phones here! :p)

While my Europa was still working, I did a back up using Safe Backup and Mobile Backup 2 (can't be too careful!). Having little faith, I assumed all of the previous messages were gone forever but after setting up my new phone and noticing the lack of space on the SD card, I decided to investigate.

I found a LOST.DIR folder which I did some research on and deleted that. However there is a folder entitled 'private'. A sub folder of this is called '1000484b'. Inside this again there is a folder called 'Mail2'. Clicked it and low and behold there are a lot of DATA files and after viewing them in Notepad (although surrounded by symbols) I discovered that they were my old SMS messages!

So to get to the point (finally!!!), is there any way that I can have these messages displayed on my new phone (Galaxy Y Pro), either saved on the SD or the internal phone memory? I'd sacrafice space for apps to have these messages back, thats how important they are! :D

Any information you have would be very helpful! Thank you! :)

Hello forum!

Newbie here experiencing a bit of bother! I better provide a bit of background for this one!

I had a Samsung Europa phone (my first android) and one day it decided to go haywire and deleted all of my messages, call logs and generally started acting funny. As you can imagine this was quite traumatic as I had a lot of important text messages on there! Heavily dependent on my phone, I bought a new one, this time the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro. (Notice the cheap - entry phones here! :p)

While my Europa was still working, I did a back up using Safe Backup and Mobile Backup 2 (can't be too careful!). Having little faith, I assumed all of the previous messages were gone forever but after setting up my new phone and noticing the lack of space on the SD card, I decided to investigate.

I found a LOST.DIR folder which I did some research on and deleted that. However there is a folder entitled 'private'. A sub folder of this is called '1000484b'. Inside this again there is a folder called 'Mail2'. Clicked it and low and behold there are a lot of DATA files and after viewing them in Notepad (although surrounded by symbols) I discovered that they were my old SMS messages!

So to get to the point (finally!!!), is there any way that I can have these messages displayed on my new phone (Galaxy Y Pro), either saved on the SD or the internal phone memory? I'd sacrafice space for apps to have these messages back, thats how important they are! :D

Any information you have would be very helpful! Thank you! :)

You know what, You've saved my live dude.

I've just registered to this forum to say: THANXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I was looking for any way to even see a special referral code been sent to me by an embassy, since i sold my old cell phone and kept the old SD card, Finalllllllllllllly after seeing your post, I've been able to view those sms and get back my referral no from a similsr folder that you've mentioned: private / 1000484b / Mail2 and after tracing each sms - accroding to the date of that file, I've got my sms. thannnnnnnnnnnxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones