• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Revert from DK28?

Ok, I tried this method [How To] Return to Stock / Fix Bricked Epic - xda-developers and now my phone is dead. The power/volume down/home combination won't work. Power on won't work. The only thing I can get to work is download mode and the methods given at that link through "ODIN" has resulted in the following:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> param.lfs
<ID:0/004> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.bin
<ID:0/004> recovery.bin
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Upvote 0
put the phone in download mode without plugging it in

start odin, check PDA and select the DI18 mdf file
select the victory pit file

under options make sure that only "auto reboot" is checked.

plug in the phone, should be some indication in the top left with i think a yellow box that it is connected

and hit start.

that did it for me, but i have heard of some people trying without the PIT file when they have failed attempts.

Upvote 0
You need to only have auto reboot on. Maybe that's your problem?

And I used a different pit file.

But yeah, the android setup wizard didn't pop up for me either.

I've actually done it wrong before and checked f reset instead of auto reboot, and it always still worked. had to pull the battery to start my phone back up, though.

maybe check the samsung drivers, too? I forget which programs need that to work and which dont.

I wish the set up wizard worked. I tried wiping all the caches and doing resets and still no luck, but it always worked when I reloaded DK28.

Upvote 0
put the phone in download mode without plugging it in

start odin, check PDA and select the DI18 mdf file
select the victory pit file

under options make sure that only "auto reboot" is checked.

plug in the phone, should be some indication in the top left with i think a yellow box that it is connected

and hit start.

Just tried that and got this:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> param.lfs
<ID:0/004> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.bin
<ID:0/004> recovery.bin
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.

I'm gonna try it without the pit like you said...

Upvote 0
I'm gonna try it without the pit like you said...

This is what I'm getting without the pit:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..

Upvote 0
looks like it gets farther with the pit.

I feel like I erased the md5 extension to get it to work back when i flashed DK28. my DI18 flashed with the md5 still there, but that may be worth a shot.

edit-- I just read here

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-su...nrooted-need-help-going-back-di18-eclair.html

that checking to make sure that you have the full tar file (mine is 261,441 KB). aside from that and making sure you have the samsung drivers installed im running out of ideas...good luck

Upvote 0
After redownloading all the files multiple times and researching on the internet for over 8 hours now, trying every method I found, I really don't know what else to do. Please help?!?! My phone won't even turn on anymore... No recovery mode. No led charging indicator. The only thing I can get it to do is go into download mode. I think I may have bricked my Epic. What do I do?

Upvote 0
when I used odin it was stuck in download mode as well. I took out the battery and put it back and I got a funny looking icon (like a computer connected to the phone) then when I tried odin again it worked. As long as you get the yellow box to show up your not bricked. Do you still see a yellow box? Try a different usb port or a different computer altogether. Good luck

Upvote 0
when I used odin it was stuck in download mode as well. I took out the battery and put it back and I got a funny looking icon (like a computer connected to the phone) then when I tried odin again it worked. As long as you get the yellow box to show up your not bricked. Do you still see a yellow box? Try a different usb port or a different computer altogether. Good luck

THANK YOU! I've seen the term "bricked" tossed around all over the web with multiple contradictory meanings. If what you say is right, then I guess there's still hope.

Now, that icon, if you're talking about a phone, connected to an exclamation point inside a triange, connected to a computer... I get that too.
Whenever I do "PIT" normally and put the "SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar" file into "Phone" instead of "PDA", the process goes the farthest and then freezes without saying it failed. Then I turn the phone on normally and I get that image.

When I do both "PIT" and "PDA" following the directions, however, the things I've stated in my previous posts happen. It doesn't get very far and it states some kind of failure. Then I go to turn on the phone normally and it goes to the "Samsungmobile.com" screen and freezes.

I've only tried this on my laptop using every USB port but I can only get the yellow box to pop up in Odin through one USB port. Through all the other ports, Odin doesn't acknowledge the phone and a miniature pop-up appears on the bottom right of my screen saying "USB Device Not Recognized".

Right now, I'm at the computer lab, so I'm about to try every method and post the results.

Upvote 0
How did you get to DK28 in the first place? I'd do whatever you did then. Even if you were still on DK28, having a working phone again would be a plus.

I used the SD Card method to get the update by downloading the update.zip file and copying to my SD card. I forget the details but basically, I did the Power/Volume/home combo which brought me to some screen where I loaded the update. I didn't use ODIN or clockwork or any of the other things I keep seeing.

The problem is that now I can't even do that "Power/volume/home" thing. When I try that, it starts up and goes to the "Samsungmobile.com" screen and freezes.

USB is the ONLY way I'm gonna be able to do anything.

Upvote 0
Do you have access to another cable?

Try pulling the battery, booting into download mode then running it.

Another cable: Yeah, from some research I saw that several people got it to work simply by using a new USB cable... I ordered a new one from buy.com so it should be here by Thursday. I'll try it then but I'm kinda preferring that I wasted my money, meaning that I'll get this to work before that new cable gets here. I need my phone *tear*.

Battery thing: Do you mean trying the process with no battery? If so, I've tried that too, in combination with different versions of Odin, in combination with having and not having the pit file, in combination with various tar files (SPH-D700-DG27-8Gb-REL.tar, SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar, sph-d700-dk28-8g-rel.tar.md5).

UPDATE: I tried to install the Samsung Drivers here at my school's computer lab. They won't let me install drivers on their PCs... We do have MACs, if you know of a similar procedure for the MAC... Perhaps they have less security on them.:(

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I tried to install the Samsung Drivers here at my school's computer lab. They won't let me install drivers on their PCs... We do have MACs, if you know of a similar procedure for the MAC... Perhaps they have less security on them.:(

UPDATE: I went to the library and the driver install worked but it still keeps saying that the "USB Device Not Recognized". Tried unplugging and replugging, remove and reinsert the battery to try again, try without battery. No dice. I guess I'm stuck trying on the laptop until the new USB cable arrives. Maybe it will miraculously work for me like it did for other people with problems similar to mine...

Upvote 0
Now that the official update is out you can use Samsung's user friendly version of Odin to Odin directly to the official version of Froyo (will wipe everything).

Samsung

Click Software then the one that says EB13 (assuming you are on Windows).

THANKS!!! I'm gonna try it right now. If that doesn't work, I'll just be patient and wait for the new USB cable.

sidenote: Did they just add that? Cuz I swear I've been on that page at LEAST 4 times today...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones