• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews/impressions about the Moto Xoom.

Too late.. got a refund on it

I can't be messing around with equipment where the video stops when your streaming.

My windows laptop doesn't do that using the same sites.

Its a shame as all the rest I really loved

But I am a huge tv/movie fan and use my computers for watching... and there is nothing more annoying than jerky video and video that stops 4 mins in..

Upvote 0
I have never experienced that. You might have a bad unit. Call VZW and make them help you see if resetting helps, otherwise take it back. If you're talking about the wifi only version, drop everything and take it back. This behavior is not normal.

Yes i took it back. It was just the wifi version

Like i tested it out.. I went to the 3rd level of my house ( my router is in the basement on the 1st level )

I loaded up my windows laptop and went to 2 different sites and loaded tv/movies - no problem, no jerking, no stopping

I then shut my laptop down

I then loaded up my xoom, did same thing.. same places and 3 times in a row the streaming video stops ( and wont start again, you physically have to leave the site and come back to it to get it to start and then a few minutes in.. around 4 or 5 mins it stops again )

I can't be done with that... So i took it back to the store and got a refund.

I am looking at buying a laptop now and will come back to android tablets 1 or 2 years from now, once they are out of the early stages and have something stable and comparable to laptop quality

Upvote 0
Yes i took it back. It was just the wifi version

Like i tested it out.. I went to the 3rd level of my house ( my router is in the basement on the 1st level )

I loaded up my windows laptop and went to 2 different sites and loaded tv/movies - no problem, no jerking, no stopping

I then shut my laptop down

I then loaded up my xoom, did same thing.. same places and 3 times in a row the streaming video stops ( and wont start again, you physically have to leave the site and come back to it to get it to start and then a few minutes in.. around 4 or 5 mins it stops again )

I can't be done with that... So i took it back to the store and got a refund.

I am looking at buying a laptop now and will come back to android tablets 1 or 2 years from now, once they are out of the early stages and have something stable and comparable to laptop quality
Like I said, it's a router issue.

Oh well.

Upvote 0
Your wifi issues are related to the channel your Wifi network is broadcasting.

Set it to auto. If you have it set to a specific channel, you will have issues.

So - my router is set to auto for the channel, but videos/tv being played on it do what the other person said - they stop a lot and are very choppy. My internet service is 15mbps which from what I can tell is more than is needed to watch videos smoothly.

From my perspective, there is a problem either on the Xoom or with Android, or with Flash, where videos are not playing well consistently. If there are other settings that control this I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
So - my router is set to auto for the channel, but videos/tv being played on it do what the other person said - they stop a lot and are very choppy. My internet service is 15mbps which from what I can tell is more than is needed to watch videos smoothly.

From my perspective, there is a problem either on the Xoom or with Android, or with Flash, where videos are not playing well consistently. If there are other settings that control this I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Hm, weird.

My Xoom had the problem you were describing, with the WiFi dropping in and out. I changed the channel from "11" to "auto" and the problem went away.

Oh well. Must be something else then.

Upvote 0
Browser, browser, browser!

I love Android! It's like what Linux COULD BE. But, with that said, WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE INTERNET SUPPORT ON A MOBILE INTERNET DEVICE????

Why can a device running an OS made by GOOGLE, the creators of CHROME not surf the internet properly? I have pages that wont load, pages that wont scroll properly, pages that wont zoom properly, and lets not even get started on video playback! Why is my NETBOOK with a smaller screen, slower processor and less ram, not limited by this "mobile device" nonsense, and my Xoom is? Why are devices with little hard drive space, and geared toward "cloud computing" not enabled to even start their engines really to get up to those clouds??

As awesome as these tablet devices are, somebody is still getting bent over, and once again it's the consumor.

Upvote 0
Well it's my second day with my Xoom and it's been sitting in the corner all day :thinking:
I'm usually excited, but for some reason I'm not.
I actually find the Xoom to be slower than my iPad2
The screen response really sucks compared to the iPad
I was so excited to get this tablet, now that I have it, I just want to return it!

I love my Atrix, and I thought why not?, let's get the Xoom and live happily ever after...but it was a divorce story that was destined!!!

Maybe it's me, but do you guys really "like" your Xoom???

Upvote 0
I love my Xoom.

But, usage may vary.

Yeah, the screen transitions don't go quite as smoothly as on an iPad 2, but the fact that I can view Flash sites makes up for it. About 40-50% of my browsing involves sites with Flash content that I NEED to be able to see. Also, the text wrapper when zooming in and out of web pages is far better than what iOS does. No contest.

Also, if you get into customizing your home screens, that's where a lot of the fun is for me. I have very minimalist icons with Circle Launcher to make things pop. Way cooler looking than anything the iPad does on the home screens, and it's not even close.

So, in conclusion, Just Do It.

Reactions: Kyrotech
Upvote 0
I set the Xoom up last night and the first thing that jumped out at me, which I think an Android tablet highlights more than a phone, is that a lot of 'named' apps really do feel like an afterthought of the Apple version, where the dev has actually bothered to cater for Android that is.

It's a smart bit of kit, a bit on the heavy side for its size though, but I still can't see why I would use it over my phone. If app data could sync across devices, such as last viewed twicca (Twitter) position for example, then owning multiple devices would interest me.

It's still highly possible that the Xoom will be returned.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the screen transitions don't go quite as smoothly as on an iPad 2
Really? Are you on ICS 4.04? With the update, this Xoom is absolutely seamless from input to graphical representation. If there was any hesitation whatsoever in the stock launcher, it was eliminated completely in going to NOVA Launcher. You might give it a try. Some neat options, in eliminating margins (so you can use the entire desktop!) and eliminating labels under icons. The picture is enough for me and looks much cleaner without the text.

I love this thing!

Only thing that didn't meet my expectations was the weight. A tablet should be lighter if you're going to hold it in your hands.

Upvote 0
While its going to be a while till I have any money, I do see Xoom's from good sellers on Ebay, especially ones that have the 4g conversion in them, for less than 300 bucks. Now, when I have money, I probably wouldn't mind forking 30 a month for a 2 gig data plan for it, unless I go big and get a new extended battery for my Thunderbolt and get the 30 a month wireless hotspot instead, but its still QUITE a ways away, but how overall is the Xoom? Note I'm not needing to go crazy, regular internet usage, some LIGHT gaming, and of course use of Netflix/HBOGo a must.

Upvote 0
Seems like this forum is mostly quiet now that all us original Xoom owners have had them so long. But I thought i would post anyway in case anyone is still listening. :)

So - I have recently been thinking of getting a new tablet. The newly announced ASUS that was announced today caught my eye and it looks like it would be out before xmas later this year. Here is a forum thread I posted on that one:
http://androidforums.com/general-tablet-talk/726869-new-asus-transformer-infinity-tablet.html

But - all this made me wonder: How is YOUR generation 1 Xoom holding up? Still have it? Working like it did when new?

Mine has seen better days.

The first most noticeable thing is that I can not longer plug in the charging cable. I must use the charging dock to charge it. My Xoom fell off my bed side table when it was charging, about 6 or 8 months ago, and after that the charging cord no longer works. Its not the cord as I had one for the car too and that does not work either. Something got messed up in the port itself. Tried taking it apart but did not see anything obvious to fix.

More importantly - I perceive that my device is much slower than it used to be in terms of response time. A lot of times when I open an app there is a period of no response before the app really appears. I see this a lot with Netflix and some other gaming apps. I also notice that my web browser of choice - Dolphin, is very slow to respond upon start up. Once things are running it usually seems to go well. Although, again with Dolphin, I find that after browsing a while something things no longer work. Links will stop working. Flash videos will not play, etc. I have to close the app and at least to a simulated reboot. When it is slow I notice the simulated reboot says it reclaimed between 250 and 400+ meg of memory. then, the app will run normal again.

A year ago or more - I only used the simulated reboot app about once every couple weeks. Now - sometimes I use it a few times in a single day.

Other than that - my Xoom is working great. Still a very good picture. Works fine.

How about your Xoom?

Upvote 0
The Xoom I use works just as the first day I picked it up at Verizon in February launch day.

Not sluggish, no physical issues, screen is flawless, physical case is still scratch free. Still have plenty of memory on board plus external card. I'm typing this post on the Xoom. Still use a logitech BT keyboard as well.

For me, I currently don't see a reason to move to another tablet as the Xoom is filling the spot nicely. it was a trailblazer and is still a Google Experience Device. This feature alone is worth the cost of admission..

Reactions: gamul1
Upvote 0
Mine was running well in January when I shut it off for the last time. I was part of a Team on XDA that had gotten 4.2 running on it, but the increased memory footprint coupled with the slow Flash memory just meant too much lag for me (and I'd wrung out every available speedup I could out of the kernel). It's still a great device, but I just needed more speed.

I'm now using a Galaxy Note 10.1.

Reactions: gamul1
Upvote 0
The Xoom I use works just as the first day I picked it up at Verizon in February launch day.

Not sluggish, no physical issues, screen is flawless, physical case is still scratch free. Still have plenty of memory on board plus external card. I'm typing this post on the Xoom. Still use a logitech BT keyboard as well.

For me, I currently don't see a reason to move to another tablet as the Xoom is filling the spot nicely. it was a trailblazer and is still a Google Experience Device. This feature alone is worth the cost of admission..

Thats cool. I wonder if some app or combination of apps, I have installed is affecting the performance. Or is it my imagination and my tolerance for whatever it is doing has just gone down? This is clearly the biggest factor causing me to consider a new tablet though as I could live with the docking only charge.

Of course - the spec's of the new ASUS also teases me to consider it. The resolution and the memory size for GPU seem like this would be pretty sharp.

I could add too that my battery life suck now too. If I am using it constantly my battery only lasts about 2 hours depending on what apps I am using. So - it spends a LOT of time in the cradle. I wish more companies did what Toshiba tried with the Thrive - user replaceable batteries. Would go a long way towards keeping me happy.

Its not like I will chuck my Xoom. I would hand it off to my sons to play with while I use a newer one.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones