• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ridiculous battery drain on everything except for stock

majzoob

Lurker
Jul 30, 2012
So I've tried ctmod, MIUI, and Quattrimus ICS, all of which are amazing, but for some reason I have really insane battery drain even though I barely use my device. I'm pretty sure its the wifi, but I'm not sure why this doesn't happen on stock? How is it the same exact issue on 3 different roms? Battery drain occurs on clean installation, I just log into my google account. It's frustrating because battery life is amazing when wifi is turned off. Here's an example from MIUI:

Screenshot_2012-09-04-10-40-52_zps919621cb.png

Any ideas?

LOL, yeah man.... I know why you're getting terrible battery life. You're using the heck out of wifi. Wifi is a battery killer man. Go check my post out in the ctmod thread. I posted a Screen shot of my battery usage. I hadn't been using the phone that much but it was good nonetheless.

Go in to settings then go to your wireless setting. Tap menu and set it so that your wifi turns off when your screen goes to sleep. Either that or just turn it off when you're not using it.

Also, how's your phone signal? If your coverage is not that good, your phone will spend a lot of juice looking for signal.

Upvote 0
I was thinking more along the lines of why is it constantly running and draining power? Shouldn't I be able to keep it on and have it constantly give me real time notifications for things like email and not suck that much battery life? For example, I had the HD2 running 4.0 for a bit and it had about 2 days of battery life without having to toggle wifi. Isn't that the norm for all smartphones?

Upvote 0
It should not be running all the time unless it's set to do that. Do this to check your setting.

Settings/wireless & networks/wi-fi settings. Then tap the settings on the bottom of the phone and another menu will pop up. Select ADVANCED, then select wi-fi sleep policy and make sure it's not set to be on all the time. Select WHEN SCREEN TURNS OFF. That will keep it from running all the time.

As for real time notifications, they don't need wifi to be on. They work just fine with nothing but 3g.

There really is no NORM for phones with custom ROMs . Custom ROM usually = shitty battery life.

Reactions: majzoob
Upvote 0
In my experience if your phone has a good wifi signal it will use LESS battery than if you stay on the towers. The key is a good wifi signal -- if there is no signal or if it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting the phone will have worse battery life. What I usually do is if I am at home, I have wifi ON, and set to stay on even if the phone goes to sleep. When I leave the house I turn wifi OFF.

I use 2 tools to make sure that my battery life is as it should be:
- GSam Battery monitor - available in the Play store. The "App sucker" part of this app shows if there is a runaway process.
- BetterBatteryStats - also available in the Play store, or free from XDA. This is really valuable to see how long the phone is in deep sleep... and if it isn't, what processes are keeping it awake. GSam has a similar function, but BetterBatteryStats has a better widget for awake/sleep.

Reactions: captbly1
Upvote 0
So I've tried ctmod, MIUI, and Quattrimus ICS, all of which are amazing, but for some reason I have really insane battery drain even though I barely use my device. I'm pretty sure its the wifi, but I'm not sure why this doesn't happen on stock? How is it the same exact issue on 3 different roms? Battery drain occurs on clean installation, I just log into my google account. It's frustrating because battery life is amazing when wifi is turned off. Here's an example from MIUI:

Screenshot_2012-09-04-10-40-52_zps919621cb.png

Any ideas?

I have serious drain problems with my battery, I had experience this with stock or CMT, I charge the battery with the phone off, when is full I turn on the phone and as soon the phone is loading my apps it goes from 100 % to 97% without even touch it, I have wifi off, display set at minimum, gps off, only 3g is on, signal is full bars, :thinking: after I unlock the phone to check my mail and my facebook, about 5min. the battery shows 80% :mad: I have not mod anything on the phone but seems to me that this phone is wasting more battery then usual, if I watch a 20 min video using my phone from 100% it will go to 35%, I know androids are like that but I used to have a HTC my touch 4g and I used to watch at least a full movie and still have like 50% on my battery, just to mentioned I have juice defender installed and still problems, yesterdar I was checking my facebook and have 40% left and after it got frozen and remove the battery, when I turn on the cell phone I had 9% left WTF :mad: please let me know of anything I can do for my phone besides burn it :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones