• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RO/DI installation-Closet organization or Garage

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    ok so i just need some thoughts and opinions.

i am currently planning to install an RO/DI unit. it is not going to be for drinking water purposes. it is going to used in a saltwater mixing station that i am going to build in my closet.

so first off i need a few opinions:
    1. right now i am using this, https://www.easyclosets.com/tool/?d=EC259408007, to design the closet. is there a better online tool? or a website to purchase the organizer? i was also thinking about IKEA as well......thoughts?

2.i plan on getting water for the RO/DI unit from a spigot that is right outside my window. i was thinking of drilling a small hole in my wall. it will be going thru some stucco as well. the RO/DI lines will go thru the hole from the spigot, thru the hole, and into my room where the unit will be installed in my closet. there will be a second line running out of the room thru the hole which will be the waste water line. is this a good idea? i plan on plugging the hole up with something, just do not know what just yet. or i was also thinking of using my bathroom for the RODI system, but i would then need to feed the line to the mixing station thru the attic......which i prefer not to go up there if i can help it.

any ways just thought i ask my fellow AF family here, for opinions and ideas.

thanx

Reactions: MrJavi
    RO/DI meaning Reverse-Osmosis and De-Ionization?

Drilling a hole through your exterior wall is not something I normally recommend, since is allows for leakage and access for pests if not done correctly. You will want to be sure that there is nothing behind that spot that will be damaged by your drill (wiring, pipes, studs, etc) and thoroughly caulk/seal both sides afterward. Is there a convenient drain for you to dump that waste water? It is going to be toxic to any plants (or animals) exposed to it, by its very nature.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    RO/DI meaning Reverse-Osmosis and De-Ionization?

Drilling a hole through your exterior wall is not something I normally recommend, since is allows for leakage and access for pests if not done correctly. You will want to be sure that there is nothing behind that spot that will be damaged by your drill (wiring, pipes, studs, etc) and thoroughly caulk/seal both sides afterward. Is there a convenient drain for you to dump that waste water? It is going to be toxic to any plants (or animals) exposed to it, by its very nature.
    RO/DI stands for Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionized

and yes there is a drain right below where the spigot is on the outside. and yes i plan i sealing up the holes.....though i do not know with what just yet. i was thinking of foam sealant and then maybe silicone. i know there will not be a stud there, but how do i know about pipes and wires?

Upvote 0
    If you get electrocuted and your drill is wet, there is a pipe.
    If you get electrocuted and your drill is dry, there is a wire

Seriously, and expecially because you are trying to get through the wall in that area because there is a spigot on the outside, I'd be careful. Maybe open an access panel on the inside and have a plumber tap into the same pipe that is feeding the spigot. You also have the benefit of no new hole on the outside of the house for weather or critters to exploit.

Upvote 0
    As to installing the RO/DI in a closet, as well as a saltwater mixing station, before proceeding, I would strongly suggest you check the local building codes. If it's not allowed, it's not as though anyone will know about it, but if there is a negative result that could result in an insurance claim (such as a leak) then the insurer might deny the claim (claims resulting from violations of local building codes are often excluded from coverage). Also, when you go to sell, it would have to be removed as a violation of the building code, and then you have all of the additional work not just to remove it, but to patch/plaster/seal/paint to clean it all up, even if the new buyer wants it.

If you find it's permissible under the building code, then from inside the closet drill (or cut if you are going into drywall) a small pilot hole in the wall and use a lighted borescope (really cheap option plugs into a phone, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Fantronics-Waterproof-Borescope-Adjustable/dp/B071HYRPND) to look around in the wall opening to check for wires, pipes, etc. Then if it's clear, go ahead and proceed with your installation. On the stucco side use an elastomeric sealant (like this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-ElastoPatch-32-fl-oz-White-Patching-Compound/50198043) to close the gap (that allows for expansion/contraction due to heat and cold).

Good luck.

Upvote 0
    As to installing the RO/DI in a closet, as well as a saltwater mixing station, before proceeding, I would strongly suggest you check the local building codes. If it's not allowed, it's not as though anyone will know about it, but if there is a negative result that could result in an insurance claim (such as a leak) then the insurer might deny the claim (claims resulting from violations of local building codes are often excluded from coverage). Also, when you go to sell, it would have to be removed as a violation of the building code, and then you have all of the additional work not just to remove it, but to patch/plaster/seal/paint to clean it all up, even if the new buyer wants it.

If you find it's permissible under the building code, then from inside the closet drill (or cut if you are going into drywall) a small pilot hole in the wall and use a lighted borescope (really cheap option plugs into a phone, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Fantronics-Waterproof-Borescope-Adjustable/dp/B071HYRPND) to look around in the wall opening to check for wires, pipes, etc. Then if it's clear, go ahead and proceed with your installation. On the stucco side use an elastomeric sealant (like this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-ElastoPatch-32-fl-oz-White-Patching-Compound/50198043) to close the gap (that allows for expansion/contraction due to heat and cold).

Good luck.
    awesome info guys. so it looks like i need to do some more research. a plumber might be a good idea. he can probably install it better then i can. but at first glance it seems relatively simple. the hole in the wall would be my main concern. i am looking into get something like a drip pan where my mixing tanks will sit on to help with leaks and over filling.

Reactions: MrJavi and Dngrsone
    Upvote 0
    awesome info guys. so it looks like i need to do some more research. a plumber might be a good idea. he can probably install it better then i can. but at first glance it seems relatively simple. the hole in the wall would be my main concern. i am looking into get something like a drip pan where my mixing tanks will sit on to help with leaks and over filling.
    At least call a plumber to give an estimate/advice. He/she should also be familiar with the building codes. ;)

Upvote 0
    I agree with the plumber recommendation. Not knowing your floor plan it's difficult to say but you'll be way ahead of the game if you can keep your station entirely indoors. Sealing and patching stucco at some point would be my last option. It would be great if the closet you want to utilize was close to a water source or shared a wall. I assume that your dwelling is on a slab so tapping into the feed to the spigot is likely your best option. Waste water is still an issue however.

As for shelving etc in the closet.. I have no recommendations. I was in the business of building closet shelving among other carpenter duties but never shopped online for any. Something to consider would be the amount of weight your station represents. Water weighs eight pounds per gallon. Most shelving isn't designed to support much weight per square foot. Perhaps some metal racking might be your answer.

Good luck with your project.

One last thought about tapping into the feed line to your spigot.. They do sell a cheap tap/saddle designed to tap a standard copper pipe. They are used to create a feed line for an icemaker for older homes that weren't plumbed for such. They are easy enough to install if you can access the pipe and don't need a great deal of water pressure/flow for your station.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I agree with the plumber recommendation. Not knowing your floor plan it's difficult to say but you'll be way ahead of the game if you can keep your station entirely indoors. Sealing and patching stucco at some point would be my last option. It would be great if the closet you want to utilize was close to a water source or shared a wall. I assume that your dwelling is on a slab so tapping into the feed to the spigot is likely your best option. Waste water is still an issue however.

As for shelving etc in the closet.. I have no recommendations. I was in the business of building closet shelving among other carpenter duties but never shopped online for any. Something to consider would be the amount of weight your station represents. Water weighs eight pounds per gallon. Most shelving isn't designed to support much weight per square foot. Perhaps some metal racking might be your answer.

Good luck with your project.

One last thought about tapping into the feed line to your spigot.. They do sell a cheap tap/saddle designed to tap a standard copper pipe. They are used to create a feed line for an icemaker for older homes that weren't plumbed for such. They are easy enough to install if you can access the pipe and don't need a great deal of water pressure/flow for your station.
    so they sell RODI fittings that can screw into a spigot. it's basically a tee fitting so that you can still use the spigot. on my spigot i have a y fitting that came with my expandable garden hose. so i have the perfect spot to attach the RODI hose.

i'm basically gonna split my closet. my closet dimensions is 69"x24"x96"........i plan to shrink the closet down to 47" or 49" with my mixing tanks being 18"x18"x43". i do plan on stacking the tanks vertically.....so yes i will need to build a stand for them. and yes i understand the weight is going to be a lot. and no the tanks are not part of my closet build.

so far the easycloset website has given my an estimate for a closet that is 48"x24" for a grand total of $1,196.60......that is a lot!!!!! i need to find other sites to price compare. supposedly ikea has an online closet organizer.....gonna check that out next.

edit: would it be cheaper if i hired a carpenter to do my closet? and most likely have them build the stand for my tanks as well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MrJavi and Dngrsone
    Upvote 0
    so they sell RODI fittings that can screw into a spigot. it's basically a tee fitting so that you can still use the spigot. on my spigot i have a y fitting that came with my expandable garden hose. so i have the perfect spot to attach the RODI hose.

i'm basically gonna split my closet. my closet dimensions is 69"x24"x96"........i plan to shrink the closet down to 47" or 49" with my mixing tanks being 18"x18"x43". i do plan on stacking the tanks vertically.....so yes i will need to build a stand for them. and yes i understand the weight is going to be a lot. and no the tanks are not part of my closet build.

so far the easycloset website has given my an estimate for a closet that is 48"x24" for a grand total of $1,196.60......that is a lot!!!!! i need to find other sites to price compare. supposedly ikea has an online closet organizer.....gonna check that out next.

edit: would it be cheaper if i hired a carpenter to do my closet? and most likely have them build the stand for my tanks as well.

Materials nowadays are expensive but not so for craftsman... at least in Kansas. Your project is likely too small to be attractive for a carpenter however. The setup and break down of equipment is the killer. Unless you design something that can be constructed off site, a carpenter will likely shy away from your project. A phone call or two might be worth the effort to at least get an idea what might be possible in your market.

Upvote 0

If you are in an area with a Home Depot they have a closet design section that may be able to help. Until you agree to buy something their services to help design are free. ;)

Upvote 0
    If you are in an area with a Home Depot they have a closet design section that may be able to help. Until you agree to buy something their services to help design are free. ;)
    hmmmm i never thought of that. i might drop by and see what they can do for me. so this weekend i plan on hitting up both ikea and home depot.

i'll keep you guys posted.

Upvote 0
    ok i just edited the title.

i was originally going to install the mixing station in my garage. but i was worried about heat and also thought having it in my room would be super convenient....but and after much thinking, i think this is a terrible idea. it will be a better option to have it in the garage. plus i have water access from my washing machine. just need to find a drain for the waste water. i also will need a powerful pump to accommodate the extra head pressure as it will need to go 70ft or so to pump the water to my tanks in my room.

i still need to get a closet organizer though.

Upvote 0
    ok i just edited the title.

i was originally going to install the mixing station in my garage. but i was worried about heat and also thought having it in my room would be super convenient....but and after much thinking, i think this is a terrible idea. it will be a better option to have it in the garage. plus i have water access from my washing machine. just need to find a drain for the waste water. i also will need a powerful pump to accommodate the extra head pressure as it will need to go 70ft or so to pump the water to my tanks in my room.

i still need to get a closet organizer though.
    You should be able to use the drain for the washer, assuming that kind of runoff is permitted in your provider's systems.

Upvote 0
    I was thinking the same.. source and drain will be at the washer. They make some great little in-line pumps. I was using them at a micro brewery to switch tanks etc. In-line is likely the way you want to go. 70' of hose full of water will make a mess if you don't push it all through or pump it back into your station. The pumps I was using quick coupled to the hoses.. one direction flow. Snap it in to pull from one tank to another. Turn it around to pump back the other direction.

Upvote 0
    I was thinking the same.. source and drain will be at the washer. They make some great little in-line pumps. I was using them at a micro brewery to switch tanks etc. In-line is likely the way you want to go. 70' of hose full of water will make a mess if you don't push it all through or pump it back into your station. The pumps I were using quick coupled to the hoses.. one direction flow. Snap it in to pull from one tank to another. Turn it around to pump back the other direction.
    so the idea is that i will have my tanks in the garage. the RO/DI will be stored in one tank. using ball valves, i will then pump in the RO/DI water into the 2nd tank where the salt will be mixed with the water. the same pump will then be used to pump the water from the garage and into my tank.

this was my original idea. but i had a light bulb moment and thought that the closet would be a good idea. and then i asked you guys about it.

my main concern about the garage was heat. my garage is not insulated and gets quite hot during the summer. but i have been on a few reef forums and have read that it rarely a concern for most folks who have a mixing station in the garage. and these were folks that were in Texas and Florida that said it is never an issue for them. if it is a problem you can always use a trashcan and have that filled with the water and let it cool down to room temp in the house.

and thanx guys, i did not think to use the washing machine's drain to dump the waste water......gonna look into that this weekend.

i found a local supplier of water tanks that has the ones that will fit the area i have in mind. they are called chemtainers.....(http://www.chemtainer.com/) they have one in Compton here in LA. they are closed on the weekends. so i'll try and get them picked up on monday. now i need to figure out how to build a stand for them....or see if they have stands for their tanks.

Upvote 0
    Sounds like you have the plan man. Insulation for the garage would be a cheap fix if heat becomes a problem. Most around here are insulated against the cold. Same problem in reverse.
    I'm sure with your experience with fish tanks, a stand will not be a problem. Good luck with your project.
    is it just insulating the garage door? if so then that is another project i should add to my list. how easy of a fix is it?

Upvote 0
    is it just insulating the garage door? if so then that is another project i should add to my list. how easy of a fix is it?
    I've seen insulated garage doors and I've seen squares of Styrofoam cut to fit into the divided sections of metal doors. Outside walls of garages are often not covered in drywall. There insulation batts will take care of that. The common walls your dwelling shares with the garage will already be insulated. Attic is where the majority of the heat will come from. Make certain it is insulated. Often they aren't. Batt insulation will take care of that unless you want to mess with blown in. If you buy batts of insulation they will have an R rating. The higher the R value the greater insulating factor it provides. Also keep in mind that wall studding will be on 16" centers for the most part. Your attic will likely be on two foot centers. They make insulation in both sizes. It also can be had in given lengths or in a roll of greater length.

Upvote 0
    i found a local supplier of water tanks that has the ones that will fit the area i have in mind. they are called chemtainers.....(http://www.chemtainer.com/) they have one in Compton here in LA. they are closed on the weekends. so i'll try and get them picked up on monday. now i need to figure out how to build a stand for them....or see if they have stands for their tanks.

Be sure to use food safe containers... they will cost a little more, but you don't want to poison your tanks

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    so the next thing i have to think about is if i need a booster pump or not. the water source (washing machine) and where i am going to put the mixing station is probably be about 30 feet away, i'm not exactly sure what my water pressure will be like by itself. the other thing i am contemplating is where do i put the RODI unit. right above the washing machine? or near the mixing station?

Upvote 0
    ok so an update. i have pretty much everything i need for my RODI/saltwater mixing station minus the tanks. i have the RODI unit and most of the plumbing parts that i need. i also bought a booster pump, just in case i need more pressure.

i have not bought the tank as i still need to figure out where i want to put the mixing station. i have a spot, but it is very far from the water source. i am considering another spot, but that would mean i need to take down a storage rack and sort thru the stuff that is on it. i think most of the stuff stored there can be thrown away.

my other concern is that it is near the garage door which means it will probably get hotter and colder then in other spots in my garage. the garage does need to be cleaned so i guess it is time to do some spring cleaning in there. this alone is a huge project and will require a lot of beer to keep me hydrated.......gonna attempt this tomorrow......wish me luck....LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones