• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RO/DI installation-Closet organization or Garage

Garage beers are the best. You might want to stock up before you start cleaning to be on the safe side. :)
i'm pretty stocked TBH. i bought almost a $100 worth of beer.....granted most of them are micro brewery beers so they are not necessarily cheap.

i also want to take down the rack.......anybody want a nice storage rack?

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
ok so the rack is disassembled. pretty much the stuff has been sorted and gone through. i do have 3-4 boxes i need to go thru thoroughly, but that will be for another day. and after a six pack, i still have plenty of beer for tomorrow.

and tomorrow will entail installing the RODI unit.....at least to the point where all i need to do is install the float valve in the storage tank....when i get it.

next week i will address the closet. probably will get it at IKEA to keep the cost down.

Upvote 0
You will have to share a pic when the project is completed.
IKEA might well be the solution to your closet needs. I was not involved, but a number of years ago I did the trim work in a home that bought their closets from California Closets. I just did a quick look at their site and IKEA site. Both provide design consultation and custom closet work but the California site's prices are WoW! I always think of a closet being functional and utilizing space. Not a shrine :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
well here is what i have done so far:
RODI1.jpg

RODI2.jpg

have not run it just yet. i do not have a ball valve to shut the water easily. i have a float valve. i'm think maybe i will use a bucket and install the ball valve on it to run and test for leaks. probably i'll do that tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Looking good my friend.
thanx....i'm trying to get mounts for the tubing, but Bulk Reef Supply where i got my unit from are out of them. i just want to tidy it up a bit. they are also out of ball vavles as well. luckily plumbing RODI is much easier than pvc. i just had an idea of using 1/2" pvc pipes and have those mounted to the wall and i could just feed the tubing thru that......i might try that next weekend.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
ok so i got bored and was not ready to retire just yet......i hooked up the float vavle to a bucket like i said in my last post......everything seemed to be ok at first. the first 3 chambers filled up with water, but then stopped. i was supposed to flush the water for a few minutes.....but nothing happened. the psi is reading 0. i checked to make sure the flow of water was hooked up right and everything seems to be right. i have a booster pump if that is the case.

oh well, i'll have to troubleshoot that for another day.

Upvote 0
ok so after some more troubleshooting i found the issue. after unhooking everything, i took the unit somewhere more convenient to work and figure what the heck is going on. i apparently after i removed one of the canisters and then reattaching, i inadvertently squished one of the tubing. it is a pretty tight fit with that last canister and some of the tubing and is seated behind the canister. i did not realize that i was kinking the hose when i screwed the canister back.

and upon unhooking the tubing from the faucet, i also caused a pretty bad leak from the washing machine's faucet. luckily i was able to tighten it, so now there is no more leak.....thank god.....LOL

so i just took a cigar break and now i'm off to re-hook the unit back. this was a good lesson and a great way to learn how things work on my RODI unit.

Upvote 0
ok so my victory was short lived. i am now getting flow, but it seems like the DI canisters are filling at a trickle and i am definitely getting more waste water. so the hose that was kicked was pretty flattened. i tried to squeeze it more open.......maybe that is what is affecting flow. it is either that or i just do not have enough water pressure.

that is for another day. i'm just going to let it fill the bucket with the float valve and see how things are tomorrow.

Upvote 0
ok so the last few days has been very busy and i come home from work very tired.....so i have not worked on fixing the RODI system. gonna work on that tomorrow.

i was able to find two 75gallon water holding tank. they only had blue in stock and if i wanted clear i would have to wait 8-10 weeks to get them.......so i will be picking them up on Monday on my way to work. so i should have everything plumbed by next weekend.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
just a quick update. i have the tanks, but i am waiting for the pump and plumbing parts to come in.some will arrive on friday. while others will arrive next tuesday.......so in two weeks time i will reveal what my mixing station will look like.

edit: i need to make a stand for the mixing station. i plan on using cinder blocks and 2x4 wood. i think i am going to paint the whole things as well as glue the wood to the cinder blocks. i may look to see if there some cool shaped bricks i can use instead of cinder blocks. gonna go to home depot and see what they have.

Upvote 0
so i have most of the plumbing parts and the pump now......so i'm almost ready to build this thing!!!!!

i just bought some 6"x6"x16" cinder blocks and a 50"x25"x1.5" butcher block......all i need to do is paint the wood and the cinder blocks. i bought the black porch and patio paint that Home Depot recommended....gonna be painting them later this evening. i just had me some delicious local Mexican food and now i feel a food comma coming on. once that subsides, i will start painting.

i'll try and post some pics of the progress. i might stage everything before i paint.......we shall see how i feel in an hour or so.....LOL

Upvote 0
ok so i was able to paint everything last night. i just need to do some touch up work.

so this is the before and after:
mixing_station_2.jpg

and this is after paint:
mixing_station.jpg

i just need some extra parts. i forgot that the pump and the two bulkheads on the tank are threaded. i need to get thread to slip couplers (schedule 80) and then i can start plumbing everything. unfortunately Home Depot only has schedule 40 fittings. i should be able to get those tomorrow.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones