• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roll call....

colchiro

Extreme Android User
Jun 4, 2010
So, who actually owns a Touchpad and intends to stick around?

Who's going to install Android on it?

Any guides/mods with Touchpads?

Who's comfortable with their Touchpad, and might be comfortable with support or maybe stickied content?

I'm replacing a couple of Nook Colors with CM7 with Touchpads so will be watching Rootzwiki and XDA forums and trying to stay up to date and try to get some guides established here. I requested this forum since XDA and Rootzwiki are good places for technical stuff, but this forum is a friendlier place to hang IMO. :D

The "official" use of this forum is Android, but obviously that doesn't mean "return to stock" or other WebOs topics won't be covered.

Reactions: untitled1
I have one. 32 GB version. No plans to add Android on it. I'm extremely pleased with it running WebOS for the price. Love how easy it is to "root" it. When you get it and fire up the app store for the first time you find HP recommending resources on how to install homebrew stuff on your Touchpad. It's quite refreshing to see something like this. There are many, many things about it I like better than Android. Sadly, I'm a slave to the Google universe. :(

Upvote 0
I managed to get hold of a 32GB. I quite like WebOS but will probably end up putting android on it once it's fairly stable. Dual boot would be ideal!

I had a HTC Hero and now a Desire HD currently, both rooted with custom roms, so I'd say I'm probably comfortable following instructions on my own (so long as someone can assist if anything goes wrong!)

Glad to see people gathering here for the Touchpad, I know it's not strictly android but XDA/Rootzwiki are scary places if you're not completely technical!

Upvote 0
Glad to see people gathering here for the Touchpad, I know it's not strictly android but XDA/Rootzwiki are scary places if you're not completely technical!

I completely agree. I have an account over there and posted a question one time. I was told something along the lines of me needing to reset my IRQs and overclock my processor because handles were being dropped by processing threads. I was like, "Umm, how does this explain why GMail isn't working??"

Upvote 0
Dual boot you say?
Care to provide a link?

Touchdroid update over on Rootzwiki

I completely agree. I have an account over there and posted a question one time. I was told something along the lines of me needing to reset my IRQs and overclock my processor because handles were being dropped by processing threads. I was like, "Umm, how does this explain why GMail isn't working??"

I haven't even dared post there! I know I'd either get the angry "Use the search function" even though I have; or something so complicated I'd never be able to follow it. There are some great guides etc there, but mostly those are made by people who understand that not everyone is an expert at everything!

Am I the only UK Touchpad owner to have made it here so far? I'm trying to find a way to install the Kindle app, but all the loopholes seem to have been closed off already.

Upvote 0
I have a 32GB TP. If they get Android up and running smoothly on it then I plan on installing it (dual boot for the win), but for now I am really happy with WebOS (the exception of a choice of ereaders). As for the tablet itself, I still think it's a really nice piece of hardware. I have been using it more and more each day and I am having issue with it no leaving my hand. I am hoping the market opens up a bit more.

Upvote 0
My wife's 16 gb finally came in today. It was shipped on 8/29 (Monday) and I was starting to worry about it, thinking I was scammed. :D

Just got it updated and installed some apps and OC kernel. My 32 gb will do 1.8, but her's seems stable at 1.9. I have both at 1.7 now tho.

If there were as many fee apps/utilities/games as Android, I'd be happy with webOS.

Upvote 0
The CM team's already got dual boot working. :D

I figured I'd want the 32 gb version so I'd have room for both roms on it. Should 16 gb get a little crowded, an Android-only version should work fine for my wife.

I see Dalingrin suggested that there wouldn't be an Android version available anytime soon. (These things take time)

Upvote 0
I'll put Android on it primarily for all the apps that I've paid for/already enjoy. I will likely leave WebOS on there as a dual boot option, but honestly do not forsee myself switching between the two and I'm guessing it'll stay Android-only. WebOS has a lot of promise but there are some (IMHO) crippling problems with it and a general lack of polish that keeps me thinking, in the back of my head, "this isn't a problem on Android."

As much as I like the card multitasking system and Synergy has great promise, neither would be enough to keep me booting to it once Android is available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones