• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][4.1.1] AOKP - Build 1 (8/20/12) / Nightly (8/29/12)

Really? Interesting....on my N7, battery life has never been an issue on stock kernel; I tried faux once though and battery was horrendous

Yeah, it still has stock kernel with the chameleon launcher beta which is also using a lot. It wasn't on the previous build, so I think the dirty flash didn't sit well with my device. Perfect considering Roman updated the aokp app today which will make restoring easier.

Upvote 0
thanks man for keeping this thread current..im currently on CM10 on my S3, GNex, and Galaxy Tab 2 but I miss me some AOKP so this is awesome..what exactly is the gerrit??

The Gerrit Code Review is where the developers of a ROM submit things to be added to the ROM, (features, fixes, translations, etc.) or sometimes suggest things to be changed or removed. These are called "commits." Once submitted, other developers of the ROM take a look at it or test it to make sure it works and that it is a commit that should be merged in to the ROM. If it works and the developer feels the commit is solid, he or she can "verify" or "approve" the commit to be "merged." Once a commit is merged, the next time the ROM is built, it will include whatever it is that the commit added/changed/removed. If it isn't approved or verified, it won't get merged, and the developer who submitted the commit will either have to modify it or abandon it. This is why it's called the Gerrit Code Review; potential code is reviewed by the rest of the development team. So, for example, on the 17th, custom app LED settings was a commit (it was actually 2) that was in the open-status section of Team Kang's Gerrit. This means that the code for this feature is written! (Or at the very least, a work in progress) A nightly was built on the 17th, but it didn't have custom app LED settings in it (no folks, there's no hidden LEDs on your N7s this doesn't affect or device it's just an example). Why? Because it wasn't verified yet, and therefore wasn't merged yet. Since it wasn't merged, when the nightly was built, the feature wasn't included. So when checking their Gerrit, if you see a feature in status: open, it means you know it's coming eventually, but don't expect to see it in a build until you see it in status: merged. Then you know it's "locked and loaded!"

I hope this helps some!

Now, check it out for yourself! http://gerrit.sudoservers.com/#/q/status:merged,n,z I check their Gerrit usually at least once a day, just to see what goodies I can expect soon!

P.S. Sorry for the excessively long post; I have a tendency to talk a bit too much :eek:

Upvote 0
So I flashed the last two nightlies and didn't notice much of a difference in the two. Still missing some key AOKP features that I grew to love on ICS. Will wait till those are added to flash on my Galaxy Nexus but other than that, the ROM runs great on the N7!

There wasn't much of a difference between the 2 that affected the N7, but custom app LED was added for phones with one

Upvote 0
Looks like Build 1 is coming. Really expected more out of AOKP. Lots of key features still missing. Custom backlight levels being one of the main ones. Noticed several things that need fixing in regards to toggles on my N7 as well.

Expected more? They're rewriting all of their code, so it takes time; they're adding one feature at a time, and everyone has different things that they want most. I for one think they're doing a fantastic job; I'd rather less features and more stability than more features and less stability. Just my 2

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of AOKP. Ran them exclusively from day one on my Galaxy Nexus. I'll most likely run them exclusively now that they've got some decent builds out from now on with my N7 and my GNex, I just thought they would be farther along with development by now.

I'm just as excited as you are about seeing builds come out, trust me. Finally get to run a familiar ROM on my N7!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones