• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM RELEASE] Velocity V1.0

I use a privacy program on my computer called TOR, the same software is available for android in a program you can download from the market called orbot. This program worked on Velocity 0.4 and drellisdee's aosp builds, however it seems that it won't work on Velocity 1.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am not afraid to compile the kernel from source if someone would point me in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Love the ROM so far. My only personal feedback (not nit-picking) is that the stock messaging app is still black text on white background and it sticks out like a sore thumb now that most of everything else is themed dark. You go to read a text message and the white screen surprises you lol. I know I can fix that by using a 3rd party app with color options, and I currently am back to using Handcent, but I wish I could stop needing that app just for its one feature that I use, I like the stock messaging just fine. Could this simply be fixed with some type of theme that doesn't change anything except from the messaging colors? Everything else about the Velocity layout is great and I wouldn't want to change it too drastically.

Anyways that's really my only piece of feedback. If we could get a dark messaging option, or be allowed to change it through the new Velocity scripts somehow, that would kick butt.

I thought I was the only one with this nitpick, haha.

I'd love what you suggested to happen, if possible. It's sooo bright, even with brightness turned all the way down in display.

I'm waiting on Elegant Steel for Velocity. Grey would suffice.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
I kinda figured out after I said that. Been trying to recover this thing all night. I know now, I was rooted before froyo I guess just uploading the rom wont work, Is there a simply way to install froyo on my phone without some huge process

There's a 1 click root method, but you're going to really mess your phone up (sounds like you already have) by trying to install anything meant for Froyo if you don't have Froyo.

Search for the guides..

Here's the link for the easy route, as a starting point :

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/269555-oneclick-root-ally-2-2-1-froyo-avaiable.html

..But first, you're going to need to make your way out of your current problem.

Jump in the IRC chat for additional help, you are going to need it.

Upvote 0
I kinda figured out after I said that. Been trying to recover this thing all night. I know now, I was rooted before froyo I guess just uploading the rom wont work, Is there a simply way to install froyo on my phone without some huge process

So you tried to install Velocity 1.0 on Eclair? You have to have Froyo rooted on your phone to use Velocity 1.0 No wonder you were in a boot-loop, it won't work. You have do the guide @ http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263285-guide-froyo-2-2-1-root-users.html
so you can get stock froyo rooted, then follow the directions to flash Velocity.

Upvote 0
Anyone else having trouble getting apps to install to the SD card by default? I went into terminal and set it up to install them to the SD card by default and it isn't taking. Any ideas?
I noticed this as well. ON previous versions of velocity we were able to force apps to the SD card, but from what I have read on this subject is that with froyo the dev of the app must set the app to be able to be saved on SD. If I am wrong someone please correct me and send me in the right direction, I really would like my apps to be on SD

Upvote 0
I noticed this as well. ON previous versions of velocity we were able to force apps to the SD card, but from what I have read on this subject is that with froyo the dev of the app must set the app to be able to be saved on SD. If I am wrong someone please correct me and send me in the right direction, I really would like my apps to be on SD

I actually prefer the selective method of Froyo rather than the all-or-nothing approach of the old ROMs, since widgets and real-time updating apps don't generally run well from the SD card.

Assuming you're rooted, you can get around the developer's restrictions in most cases by installing Move2SD from the market, and telling it to (attempt to) move all apps to the SD card. You can further automate this by also installing Apps 2 SD Free from the market, which will (by default) install most apps to the SD card as you download them. However, you may have to go back and move widgets, etc. back to the internal memory manually after installation.

Upvote 0
I am running velocity 1.0 and have app2sd set on external and most apps are on the sd card but my ally only has about 20 mb free internal space. Anyone else low memory?

From my understanding froyo apps2sd only puts a part of your app on the sd card. the rest and the dalvik cashe are still on the phone. If you arent running out of memory or having your phone slow down or not be able to keep things open because you dont have memory it shouldnt be a problem however here a some links on how i was able to free up a bunch of memory. About 60mb

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/285393-velocity-isnt-velocity-anymore-me.html

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...thinks-im-using-a2sd-ext-when-im-not-why.html

Reactions: afastyzfr1
Upvote 0
From my inderstanding froyo apps2sd only puts a part of your app on the sd card. the rest and the dalvik cashe are still on the phone. If you arent running out of memory or having your phone slow down or not be able to keep things open because you dont have memory it shouldnt be a problem however here a some links on how i was able to free up a bunch of memory. About 60mb

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/285393-velocity-isnt-velocity-anymore-me.html

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...thinks-im-using-a2sd-ext-when-im-not-why.html

I am running out of memory and had to delete some apps to make room and i dont think i even have that many installed. I'll check out those links.

Upvote 0
I flashed this ROM last night and wish to thank the devs for doing a great job with it. It runs perfectly for me. The only issue I have is that when I boot into recovery, then attempt to choose my zip file, my arrow down button only takes me to the bottom of the list that shows on my screen but won't let me scroll down past which, I assume, is where my zip files can be found. I don't have this issue using clockwork, only amon. I didn't reformat my SD card before I flashed. I'm new to all this so, not sure if that would have anything to do with my problem.

Upvote 0
I flashed this ROM last night and wish to thank the devs for doing a great job with it. It runs perfectly for me. The only issue I have is that when I boot into recovery, then attempt to choose my zip file, my arrow down button only takes me to the bottom of the list that shows on my screen but won't let me scroll down past which, I assume, is where my zip files can be found. I don't have this issue using clockwork, only amon. I didn't reformat my SD card before I flashed. I'm new to all this so, not sure if that would have anything to do with my problem.

The way you control amonra isnt the same as clockwork. Use the d pad on your keyboard to navigate. Enter makes a selection and one of the volume buttons takes you one menu back.

Upvote 0
The way you control amonra isnt the same as clockwork. Use the d pad on your keyboard to navigate. Enter makes a selection and one of the volume buttons takes you one menu back.

Thanks GRZLA, it took me a while to crack that code when I first got in there, but I was able to navigate through the screens once I figured that out. The problem is that when I get to the screen to choose the zip file I want to flash, I scroll down to the end of the list that's showing on my screen and I should be able to continue scrolling down past what's showing to get to the the rest of my files. I can't. It stops at the end of the window and won't let me scroll down further. Somehow either scrolling isn't working properly or a bunch of my files aren't visable in this recovery. In clockwork, I can scroll down to all of my files without a problem. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Thanks GRZLA, it took me a while to crack that code when I first got in there, but I was able to navigate through the screens once I figured that out. The problem is that when I get to the screen to choose the zip file I want to flash, I scroll down to the end of the list that's showing on my screen and I should be able to continue scrolling down past what's showing to get to the the rest of my files. I can't. It stops at the end of the window and won't let me scroll down further. Somehow either scrolling isn't working properly or a bunch of my files aren't visable in this recovery. In clockwork, I can scroll down to all of my files without a problem. :thinking:

I'd suggest making folders to take up less space on the root of your SD Card. I have different folders for different things and it helps navigating amon-ra a lot easier.

Reactions: Corki2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones