• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM STABLE] Bugless Beast V0.5 Android 2.2 FRG22D

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Upvote 0
Let me start out by saying that I fully admit that I am and idiot.

I tried installing the v0.5 rom through rom manager while at work. I picked up the phone and started using it after about 15 minutes passed and violated the rule that it shouldn't be touched until it reboots by itself. I look at the phone info and although I downloaded v0.5 I am still running v0.4.

I have tried to reinstall the v0.5 rom through rom manager but nothing happens and I have let the phone sit for over a half hour and I never get the second reboot.

Is there anything I can do to get v0.5 to work or do I have to bring the phone back to stock and start from scratch? Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Let me start out by saying that I fully admit that I am and idiot.

I tried installing the v0.5 rom through rom manager while at work. I picked up the phone and started using it after about 15 minutes passed and violated the rule that it shouldn't be touched until it reboots by itself. I look at the phone info and although I downloaded v0.5 I am still running v0.4.

I have tried to reinstall the v0.5 rom through rom manager but nothing happens and I have let the phone sit for over a half hour and I never get the second reboot.

Is there anything I can do to get v0.5 to work or do I have to bring the phone back to stock and start from scratch? Any advice is appreciated.

If you clear cache/data, and reinstall the ROM, it should work fine. And it should do the reboot. It only took mine about 1 minute after the initial boot for it to turn itself off and reboot. Is it possible that the phone rebooted itself without you noticing?

Reactions: maverick3077
Upvote 0
If you clear cache/data, and reinstall the ROM, it should work fine. And it should do the reboot. It only took mine about 1 minute after the initial boot for it to turn itself off and reboot. Is it possible that the phone rebooted itself without you noticing?

I have tried to reinstall through rom manager and wipe cache and data but the phone just reboots normally. I looked at the phone info and it says i am running build version 0.4.

I have tried to install other roms through rom manager, most recently downloaded and tried to install the stock 2.2 rooted in rom manager, to see if anything would work and when it reboots it still boots up to version 0.4. At this point I have no clue what to do since anything I have tried has failed and anytime I reboot I always boot normally to 0.4.

Upvote 0
I have tried to reinstall through rom manager and wipe cache and data but the phone just reboots normally. I looked at the phone info and it says i am running build version 0.4.

I have tried to install other roms through rom manager, most recently downloaded and tried to install the stock 2.2 rooted in rom manager, to see if anything would work and when it reboots it still boots up to version 0.4. At this point I have no clue what to do since anything I have tried has failed and anytime I reboot I always boot normally to 0.4.

Ok I reverted to an earlier version of clockwork mod in rom manager and reinstalled v0.5 and now it works. Like I said before I am far from an expert and I have no idea why that did the trick but it did. Thanks for responding to my original post riffdex

Upvote 0
Ok I reverted to an earlier version of clockwork mod in rom manager and reinstalled v0.5 and now it works. Like I said before I am far from an expert and I have no idea why that did the trick but it did. Thanks for responding to my original post riffdex

Sometimes ROM Manager doesn't properly boot into recovery or it has trouble mounting the SD Card when it does. It sounds like that's what happened on your first couple attempts.

You have more control if you manually boot into recovery (Power off, hold X then press power button, release X when you see M logo) and manually do the data/cache wiping and ROM installations.

Installing through ROM manager probably works for me less than 50% of the time.

Upvote 0
I am having issues with this seachfix script. I downloaded it to my sd card and I tried to install it using a TE but the directions on how to do so might as well be in chinese. Can someone explain to me step by step on how to install the searchfix.zip on the first page. Not using CW so I guess my only option is to run the script. I just have no idea where to place this file and also how to run it, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I am having issues with this seachfix script. I downloaded it to my sd card and I tried to install it using a TE but the directions on how to do so might as well be in chinese. Can someone explain to me step by step on how to install the searchfix.zip on the first page. Not using CW so I guess my only option is to run the script. I just have no idea where to place this file and also how to run it, thanks in advance.

Flash the .zip just like you flash a ROM, theme, or kernel.

Reactions: p8ntballah21
Upvote 0
Thanks, the update went through but I f'd up my phone. It stripped off half of the nextheme, white notification bars, change highlight color etc and it didn't fix the search problem.

It must not have been compatible with your theme I guess. Sorry.

I had a similar issue with the stock brightness fix, it worked on the unthemed BB V5, but when I themed the brightness went back to how it was before I applied the fix. When I reapplied the fix it screwed up my theme, changed the notification bar back to white, etc.

Upvote 0
It must not have been compatible with your theme I guess. Sorry.

I had a similar issue with the stock brightness fix, it worked on the unthemed BB V5, but when I themed the brightness went back to how it was before I applied the fix. When I reapplied the fix it screwed up my theme, changed the notification bar back to white, etc.

Yeah I gotta do a restore and all that good stuff, but it didn't even fix the search problem.

Upvote 0
Yeah I gotta do a restore and all that good stuff, but it didn't even fix the search problem.

The only suggestion I can think of is to apply the searchfix.zip while unthemed, then apply your theme and hopefully the fix will carry itself over.

Also, it can be finicky but I recommend downloading ROM Manager and flashing Clockworkmod Recovery so that you don't have to rename everything to update.zip every time you need to flash an update.

Upvote 0
The only suggestion I can think of is to apply the searchfix.zip while unthemed, then apply your theme and hopefully the fix will carry itself over.

Also, it can be finicky but I recommend downloading ROM Manager and flashing Clockworkmod Recovery so that you don't have to rename everything to update.zip every time you need to flash an update.

im running alien darkness on bbv0.5. this problem seems to affect multiple themes. the update "fix" stripped my theme as well. i tried to retheme it and it broke the update. as for now i think that with this "fix" (for some themes at least) you must choose the update or the theme.

Upvote 0
Thank you.

I think it would help if some of the other ROM Revs were more active. There's supposed to be anywhere from 3-5 official reviews for every ROM so people will get the perspective from Revs who'se Droids liked or didn't like the ROM.

As UBRocked has pointed out, I've become the Simon of RRS. Now we just need a Randy and a Paula. Preferably a drunken Paula.

Sorry guys for not doing my part as a ROM Rev lately. I just flashed it now and will post a review tomorrow after a full day out of it.

Upvote 0
For those experiencing search fix/theme issues, here are the steps I followed to remedy that:

1. Flash BB 0.5, reboot, then allow the phone to reboot on its own and restore apps, etc.
2. Reboot into recovery, flash searchfix.zip, then flash your theme.
3. Not sure about NexTheme or Elegant Steel, but with Bugless Evolution, I have to manually install the themed search widget. I do that, move it back to the phone (BB's setting default to install apps to SD card), then reboot.
4. Open Terminal Emulator, type in the following (each line is followed by an enter):

su
search -sp

(At this point, terminal emulator should say "Search moved to system partition" - if it doesn't, GoogleQuickSearchBox is still on your SD card, or you've got another problem somewhere.)

exit
exit

At that point, you should be good to go, but I usually reboot again just for kicks.

Upvote 0
Install:
Install was pretty standard. Flashed all 4 categories (cache, data, system, boot) 2 times just for sh**s and gigs. Initial boot up took a few minutes and waiting for the the phone to reboot itself took another few minutes. It kind of bugged me that I had to let the phone reboot itself but hey it was a one time thing so oh well.

Appearance:
Didn't do anything fancy here. Just changed the color of the status bar background. I noticed when I push a new framework.apk into my phone though that it deleted my google account and I had to re-add it which was weird but since I have never done that with any other ROM I don't know if that is what usually happens.

Performance:
This is were BB has always shined. I flashed my standard p3 1 ghz ulv kernel that I use with all roms to get a feel for the differences between each rom. This rom is exactly what I expected from Pete. The standard motorola OTA features but streamlined for SPEED. This is definitely one fast rom but what I noticed the most is how stable it is compared to other roms. In terms of speed on my phone it is slightly faster then other roms but stability is leaps and bounds better then the CM6 I was previously running. Transitions with Launcher Pro are very smooth and apps open pretty quickly. Also battery was on par with other roms I have run. It made it through a day of heavy use from 8-5 with <40% battery left.

Features:
Since this is not a "from source" rom there are no special features and that is what I expected but using this rom did make me miss the volume rocker changing tracks feature. This might not be as big of an issue for other people as it is for me since I use my phone as an mp3 player more than a smartphone. Another feature I wish it had was the ability to limit the 270 degree rotating to just 180 but again that is just me. If you need the features of an "from source" roms than this might not be the rom for you.

Wrap-up:
Pete delivers with BB 0.5 in my opinion. I was there when pete started and have always loved his roms. If Pete could take this speed and stability and put it in a "from source" rom with some key extras then it would be AMAZING! but having said that I still have to compare it to all the roms out there and it just doesn't have enough customization for me. so I give it a

4/5

Because it does what it says and does it well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones