• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][MetroPCS]- Only for marvelc

I find in my personal use... that Titanium Backup is a better solution than cMTD. You can not only backup your apps (the main purpose the app was written), but also, you can long-press any app and move it from /data to /system or vice versa (or even to sd-card). There are a few apps that don't function well on /system [as they were written as a user app], but most transfer over with no grumbling effects. So, I still end up filling up my /system space with useful apps. [You can also back-up apps, then uninstall them; like anything [[there is one that will cause an acore error when deleted, and you will have to restart the phone]] that says metro thus labeled "carrier bloat"]. I use it for on the fly testing... You can delete apks and then test and make sure everything still works... nope, reinstall the apks.. and if my reinstall doesn't work and I really want something back... I flash my last nandroid backup I took before experiments started ;) ]. Titanium is a way to dev phone-side... as you get the phone as you want... take a nandroid.. then cook via kitchen. [as now more than a couple follow my exploits, I use this method and make notes... then make same revision from ruu cleanly w/o booting] As long as your phone has not been compromised by something like cMTD... otherwise, you risk passing your bunk onto other users... [thus cMTD can be passed even if you never flashed a rom cooked with it specifically if the dev used it and didn't clean up properly].. Anyway, point is Titanium Backup and moving apps where you want (in lieu of screwing up phone mounts by partitioning) I find a much more welcome alternative. Thought I'd share.

Rob

I applaud your choice to not use cMTD ;) Just thought I'd mention a way to achieve a similar but better result. [filling up your available space or in cMTD's case cutting the partition space back to what you have used [[+ a lil for caches and whatnot]]].

Reactions: chicle
Upvote 0
I use titanium, mostly to delete the bloat, and also to backup, just in case. I usually use cwm - restore data to get my stuff back on the phone after flashing a Rom.
I'm using your metro 1.1 and have about 74 mb free. I took most of the bloatware off and have what I can on the sd card.
The phone works perfect - the only thing is not being able to flash an oc kernel, but I can live with that. I read up on firerat's cMTD (thanks for pointing me at it), but decided to leave well enough alone. It's really good information, though. It broadened my understanding of the phone alot!

Upvote 0
After reading your posts I checked and I have the same 0000 as well:

I never really paid attention to what it said before so no idea if that's always been like that or not (and no desire to flash back to the RUU to find out).

It's running great and that's all that matters. :)

I wish I could help on the OC Kernel. Still having no issues with the 1.1 ROM and JMZ's kernel. With that and the ROM being deodexed it's much faster than before. Even my AnTuTu score is higher (was @1753 with 1.0 ROM):

And yeah, the space on this is awesome too, had something like 125MB with just the ROM 111MB when I got everything restored, and now, about a week and a half later and a few more apps later, am at 88.45MB.

So again, many thanks Rob for making this. :D

Upvote 0
Was messing around with some ROMs and before restoring my backup I decided to flash the RUU and check and it shows "Hardware version: 0128" for more fun I downloaded the FOTA and installed it and after that it became "Hardware version: 0000". So not sure what's up there. Maybe somebody got lazy when programming the FOTA and forgot to specify a value. :)

Upvote 0
I recently flashed this ROM on my boyfriend's Wildfire S and he has been getting a notification for a system update. He tried to run the update and it would not work. The notification is stuck in his tray and I'm not sure what to do?

I attempted to make the update flashable (by disabling asserts) but it only served to make for more challenges; so, my advice would be to grab the metro RUU , And run it (restoring your HTC signatures), then run update, then if you wish (want Apps2sd and root back) install 1.1. Et voila, all fixed up.

If there's a new OTA (newer than 1.1), somebody buzz me, I have work to do again ;)

Rob

Upvote 0
I attempted to make the update flashable (by disabling asserts) but it only served to make for more challenges; so, my advice would be to grab the metro RUU , And run it (restoring your HTC signatures), then run update, then if you wish (want Apps2sd and root back) install 1.1. Et voila, all fixed up.

If there's a new OTA (newer than 1.1), somebody buzz me, I have work to do again ;)

Rob

Good to see you again Rob!

After running the ota update, my radio went from 0.94.00.1015 to one ending in 2026 (I think, I'm in webOS now and can't check). My software went from
1.05.1550.00 to 2.00.155.07, my hboot is 1.10something, there are no newer updates available as of a little while ago.

I still can't get any other rom/kernel to run but yours :). They boot, but to a dead touchscreen. I've been talking to benjamingwinn trying to solve it, but no luck yet. If you come up with any bright ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated. Your 1.1 runs great, I just like to experiment and would love to have an oc kernel.

Upvote 0
I think it about time to experiment again with kernels... marvelc specific source or not. Although I might need to get in contact with Simon's pal Bobz (kernel guru). Since I am not flashed, could you pull me a config.gz from metro? I got boot.img for ramdisk... We'll see if I can't pull one together for you guys... You've definately been patient and have waited long enough... I shall attempt. Will need to test privately once I get something though... And might need additional info specific to metro device, but I should think that will be all I need to start the process.

Rob

Reactions: chicle
Upvote 0
I think it about time to experiment again with kernels... marvelc specific source or not. Although I might need to get in contact with Simon's pal Bobz (kernel guru). Since I am not flashed, could you pull me a config.gz from metro? I got boot.img for ramdisk... We'll see if I can't pull one together for you guys... You've definately been patient and have waited long enough... I shall attempt. Will need to test privately once I get something though... And might need additional info specific to metro device, but I should think that will be all I need to start the process.

Rob

Sent file - check your pm

Reactions: insink71
Upvote 0
hmmm two issues there and I will have to ask what comes to mind first...

Did you format your sd to include a /sdext (ext2 or ext3)?
Are you using the Apps2sd (refer to mini-guide near first of this thread if not)?

That solves the space (memory) challenges most of the time...

Now.. the lag (if you haven't done above it's just full up and lagging like anything with all it's memory used up might; if you are using above some of the following may help):

When going through the a2sdgui mini-guide there is mentioned there a cache.. you may increase this slightly to gain a bit more speed.. 20, 24, 28.. I have rarely thought found it beneficial to go all the way up to 32 (believe this is your Dalvic cache). Also, you can increase your sd card read speed by adjusting a cache size... see apps like SD Booster or the like (not sure which one works for WFS but there will be one ;) ). You may also opt to improve the quality of the microsd itself (the higher the class (the number in a circle on the sd), (typically) the faster it will read/write [and the more you will pay])...

I typically put my system dependent and most frequently used apps in /system until its 15-20 mb from being full (and delete the unnecessary carrier bloat [after backing up])... then I load any other frequently used apps in /data (usually have a lot of space left 30+mb)... and then the apps I run now and again.. or are testing or whatever... well I let links2sd load those to /sdext. Now you will get a lil lag if you needed to boot your phone to run an app you rarely use, but that doesn't happen to oft. ::shrug:: works alright for me... and I am still on a modified virgin stock. I use the EPST tools once in awhile and other modded roms won't have your EPST; so, it won't work (like you are used to or maybe not at all).

Hang in there.. sense 3.5 has come to marvelc [a la Jmz originally.. and now my teammate simonsimon34 maintaining], cm will too in due time and metro will not get neglected when they do.. I'll do everything I can to make sure of that (only wish I didn't live outside their coverage area ;) ). Indeed is why I'll be working on a kernel for you guys (beginning this weekend, until...). Only other suggestion I have in my bag would be if you've got the space, look into a ram mgmt script or app... there's a script.. can't remember the name TurboCharger or Supercharger or something... I use Juwe11's app personally Ram Manager.. quick, fast, painless; it will speed up your phone (might amaze you the first time you run it)... there are free and paid versions on Market (or Play store or whatever it's called now).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rob

Upvote 0

Rob

Forgive me, before this phone I've never dealt with RUUs, but will this wipe the phone?

Upvote 0
Forgive me, before this phone I've never dealt with RUUs, but will this wipe the phone?

It will reset your phone to factory-released state. Will not s-on a s-off device, but would replace bootloader of htc unlocked device [best advice relock before running].

As for data, cache, dalvic.. yep it wipes and replaces. No need to drop to recovery and run a wipe regiment.

Of course won't wipe your sd card [no worries of losing data stored there].

Basically, a RUU is the official shipped rom; the first thing a repair shop would run if you sent your phone in :)

Hope that helps.

Rob

Upvote 0
Anyone messed with the WiFi Hotspot features on this ROM? I tried to use it and it enables/disables fine, but if I go into "Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings" Settings force closes on me.

(Using ROM v1.1)

I just tried and got the same results. I remember seeing apps in google play that act as a hotspot. I don't use it so I can't remember the names, but a search for hotspot should do it.

Upvote 0
Would one of you check and see if I left the smith.apk in system (if I removed, could be causing the fc issue). Also, the new OTA... Does it fix this issue?

Thanks,
Rob

The smith.apk is in system>app in your 1.1 zip file.

Don't know about the OTA fixing the system as I could not run 1.1 on it. Had to RUU and restore backup, so I'm on software 2.0 something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones