• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Stock VM OTA 2.95.652.5 Rooted | Deodexed | Everything Should Work Now!!!

The purpose of this ROM is to allow users to get the benefit of both OTA's, at least for the ROM portion, without having to go through the RUU+OTA+OTA procedure - ramjet73

Big thanks to Snake X for helping motivate me to get things going!!!

This is for anyone who prefers stock, Contains the latest everything

Includes SuperSU with binary and the latest busybox.

Added bash

Cleaned /bin of un-needed files

Safe to flash while S-On through recovery using either Dum-Lock(twrp) or (SmartFlash)4ext

Stock kernel included

Firmware not included

Having the latest firmware is not required

Deodexed Rooted:
VM_ICS_2.95.652.5710RD_DEODEX_3-24.zip

Latest firmware for S-Off users(thanks to ramjet73): 2.95 firmware
This firmware DOES NOT include hboot 1.58

Hboot 1.58 required?
I would think at least hboot 1.57 since it's a stock ROM with the stock kernel.

Edit: BTW, I compared the 1.58 hboot in the March VM OTA to one in the 2.89.651.2 Sprint build and they are exactly the same so I am not going to create a new zip file for my XDA post with all the bootloaders.

ramjet73

Reactions: Mobstergunz
Upvote 0
If i flash one of these, it will update my phone to the latest 2.95 OTA? And when I flash another rom, i won't lose the new firmwares, right?

I doubt it. I'm not sure if it's possible to change the firmware with a rom flash, but if it is, it's not standard practice. Usually is just software. I've not ever personally seen a rom that changes your firmware.

Upvote 0
I doubt it. I'm not sure if it's possible to change the firmware with a rom flash, but if it is, it's not standard practice. Usually is just software. I've not ever personally seen a rom that changes your firmware.

He's right. This isn't an official released RUU, so firmware is unaffected. You'll have to get the firmware bits if you want newer firmware. Ramjet73 is the man to go to for firmware bits

Upvote 0
EDIT for clarity: I am S-ON, stock ROM, unlocked running November OTA.

With this I could:

• nandroid current (stock rooted) ROM
  • Relock
  • RUU
  • Take OTAs (to get firmware updates)
  • Unlock
  • Install recovery
  • Restore backup
  • Flash this ROM

Thus keeping my settings but picking up the software updates. Correct?

(yes I know S-OFF changes the steps, I don't agree it's any easier and yes I know I can use a backup app en lieu of flashing this ROM, just gathering my options)

Upvote 0
I am S-ON.

With this I could:

• Relock
  • RUU
  • Unlock
  • Install recovery
  • Restore backup
  • Flash this ROM

(yes I know S-OFF changes the steps, I don't agree it's any easier and yes I know I can use a backup app en lieu of flashing this ROM, just gathering my options)

with s-on you can, make a nandroid and then flash with either dumlock(twrp) or smartflash(4ext)

that's it. This isn't an RUU, it's a choice for those who prefer stock roms

This is assuming you already unlocked and have recovery installed

Upvote 0
EDIT for clarity: I am S-ON, stock ROM, unlocked running November OTA.

With this I could:

• Relock
  • RUU
  • Unlock
  • Install recovery
  • Restore backup
  • Flash this ROM

I was recently informed that the new update upgrades your hboot to 1.58.0000. Currently the only RUU available is for the original release (1.13.6652.2). Now anyone S-ON that needed to RUU after taking the November OTA knows that you need to flash the SetMainVersionLow.zip in order to do so. It was simple to write a new Mainver to your phone to be able to take the RUU.

The problem with this update is that it upgrades your hboot. The RUU checks the bootloader and will not allow you to downgrade if s-on. So what I'm getting at is that you will be stuck with no RUU available for your phone (unless one gets released for this update). In an emergency that needs an RUU, you are out of luck.

If you already took the update and you are s-on, you can still get s-off which would allow you to still use the one and only available RUU. But if you wait until you need the RUU, it may be too late to s-off.

Just something for you (or anyone s-on) to consider before updating. If you update you should probably do s-off after taking the update. If you don't want s-off, you probably shouldn't take the update...

Upvote 0
I was recently informed that the new update upgrades your hboot to 1.58.0000. Currently the only RUU available is for the original release (1.13.6652.2). Now anyone S-ON that needed to RUU after taking the November OTA knows that you need to flash the SetMainVersionLow.zip in order to do so. It was simple to write a new Mainver to your phone to be able to take the RUU.

The problem with this update is that it upgrades your hboot. The RUU checks the bootloader and will not allow you to downgrade if s-on. So what I'm getting at is that you will be stuck with no RUU available for your phone (unless one gets released for this update). In an emergency that needs an RUU, you are out of luck.

If you already took the update and you are s-on, you can still get s-off which would allow you to still use the one and only available RUU. But if you wait until you need the RUU, it may be too late to s-off.

Just something for you (or anyone s-on) to consider before updating. If you update you should probably do s-off after taking the update. If you don't want s-off, you probably shouldn't take the update...

Don't take the update if your are S-on, But in the case of this rom, It should be completely safe to flash while S-on

Upvote 0
With this I could:

• Relock
  • RUU
  • Unlock
  • Install recovery
  • Restore backup
  • Flash this ROM

As long as you don't format the data partition before flashing one of the rooted stock ROM's that should work. However, doing a data partition only restore from your backup and flashing a superuser zip instead of the last two steps might be easier and faster.

Of course if you were S-OFF the unlock and lock steps wouldn't be necessary and with S-ON you will still be restricted to ICS Sense ROM's since you can't change the 1.58 hboot but that's fine as long as you are happy with the stock ROM. ;)

ramjet73

Upvote 0

I think I follow you but I want to make sure: think of Joe Schmo, no root, no custom anything. He takes this OTA and he can no longer RUU? That's what you're saying, right?

Really good point, thanks for making it.

Upvote 0
As long as you don't format the data partition before flashing one of the rooted stock ROM's that should work. However, doing a data partition only restore from your backup and flashing a superuser zip instead of the last two steps might be easier and faster.

Of course if you were S-OFF the unlock and lock steps wouldn't be necessary and with S-ON you will still be restricted to ICS Sense ROM's since you can't change the 1.58 hboot but that's fine as long as you are happy with the stock ROM. ;)

ramjet73

Good point, it never actually occurred to me to try a data-only restore (or anything other than a full restore). So said another way: if you're using the same ROM, a data-only restore is kind of the same thing as using a backup app? It begs the question, what's the point of a backup app?

Upvote 0
I think I follow you but I want to make sure: think of Joe Schmo, no root, no custom anything. He takes this OTA and he can no longer RUU? That's what you're saying, right?

Really good point, thanks for making it.
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying :)

I'm sorry for the thread derail, I hadn't intended that. I'm perfectly happy to go back and remove my posts if you want. Let me know.

It's okay. A little bit of off topic happens. It was at least somewhat relevant. I was actually just about to post that we should probably move this back on topic though. Just wanted to throw out a warning.

If anyone wants to discuss this futher or ask more questions about it, please feel free to start a new thread so as to keep this one focused on the rom!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones