• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] UD 2.4 Gingerbread goodness out now!!

Just a thought, with the FRG83D rolling out to stock Droids, I was wondering if there would be any difference in market apps, and if/when Black Droid will be updating the ROM Identifier to FRG83D. I remember reading that though these last couple updates were in fact based off of 83, he kept it IDed as 22 for the market apps reasons. Any thoughts on this???

Upvote 0
I seem to be having such a problem with rom manager..... I downloaded the ultimate to my pc, copied to sd card, said "INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD" and away it went....rebooted and hung at the exclamation point.

What does that mean? (sorry for the newbie question)

PS I sucessfully did a nandroid backup right before - this is my first custom rom. derhhh

Upvote 0
I honestly don't understand why anyone flashes a different kernel. I have ZERO lag ... ZERO! The only thing a faster clocked kernel would do for me is consume battery. There was a time when I was running my DROID at 1.3GHz. But these UD ROMs simply don't need to be that over-clocked. 800Mhz is all I need.

To each his/her own. Just sayin'...

The P3 kernel allows me to clock down to 125 for idle and gives me enough speed to cut out any lag. All the 125/800 kernels seem to have a bit of jump in them. The stock kernel is 250/800. At 125 I can use half the power at idle where the phone is most of time.

Upvote 0
I seem to be having such a problem with rom manager..... I downloaded the ultimate to my pc, copied to sd card, said "INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD" and away it went....rebooted and hung at the exclamation point.

What does that mean? (sorry for the newbie question)

PS I sucessfully did a nandroid backup right before - this is my first custom rom. derhhh

It sounds like you don't have a custom recovery installed and it's just going into he stock one. Go back into ROM Manager and reflash Clockwork Recovery. Then try to install the ROM again.

Upvote 0
I can not find the gingerbread keyboard...where is it?

The Gingerbread keyboard is named Android Keyboard in the settings, under language and keyboard. However you won't see the ones in the videos, if you've seen them in videos, because UD themed it. I took the themed one out and put the regular one in.....I like the stock Gingerbread Keyboard....

Upvote 0
The only issue I'm having is trying to get Voice Search and YouTube updated... and I'm not even sure thats the ROMs fault.
Its smooth, fast, battery is very good, running another kernel is pointless..... Its really hard to ask for more from this ROM though I'm sure that before too long, BD is gonna give us exactly that.

Uninstall the app(s) with Titanium Backup, reboot, and download from the Market.

Upvote 0
I'm officially in love with this ROM. It is my first UD ROM, so I can't speak for any previous versions. Previously I was a loyal LFY user and before that it was LithiumMod/Kangerade. I stumbled upon a thread about UD 2.3 and couldn't believe how many options were available for customization. When I read that 2.4 was days away I readied my phone for flashing.

And regarding the previous members who spoke of the stock 800Mhz kernel being fine, they are correct. Initially I flashed a Slayher 1.1Ghz kernel (my usual go-to), but after playing around with some themes I reverted back to my stock backup. But this backup had the stock kernel on it and it didn't dawn on me that I was running 800Mhz for nearly 18 hours. I never noticed a difference - except for what was an obvious increase in battery life and decrease in CPU temps. Speed-wise I see nothing different.

Upvote 0
And regarding the previous members who spoke of the stock 800Mhz kernel being fine, they are correct. Initially I flashed a Slayher 1.1Ghz kernel (my usual go-to), but after playing around with some themes I reverted back to my stock backup. But this backup had the stock kernel on it and it didn't dawn on me that I was running 800Mhz for nearly 18 hours. I never noticed a difference - except for what was an obvious increase in battery life and decrease in CPU temps. Speed-wise I see nothing different.

I wonder who that intelligent being might have been. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones