• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Viper4G 4.0.0 and beyond

Hi Guys, I have an issue after "apparently" successfully flashing Viper4G-3.1.5. I'm using TWRP 2.2 which appears to be working fine. I complete the Install process successfully. But during the reboot process, after I clear the Viper splash screen by swiping the ring, I immediately get a message that says "Unfortunately, settings has stopped". This message never goes away so I can't go further. The system is partly functional as I can pull down the notifications and the Viper settings, but I can't go to any of the screens as the "Settings has stopped" message reappears.

I Restored and re-Installed and got the same result. I was using the Wipe All (or something like that button during the Viper install. I also tried clearing only the Dalvik and Cache (from Viper installer), but that doesn't seem to install properly for me at all. In fact the installer was stuck for about 25 minutes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Parameters:
Unlocked through HTC
S-ON
HBOOT: 1.12.0000
RADIO: 1.02.12.0427
OpenDSP-v25.1.0.32.0405
eMMC-boot

Upvote 0
Check the md5 sum of the rom before flashing.

If you need an md5 sum for your PC, please check http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5389081

You can also use EStrongs File Explorer. Long press the file name, more, show properties, checksum, md5, calculate and compare to the download site.

Also, Viper4G Jellybean really only supports the current radio, 1.12.11.1210.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
Check the md5 sum of the rom before flashing.

If you need an md5 sum for your PC, please check ADB Guide (updated 2013/05/21) - Android Forums

You can also use EStrongs File Explorer. Long press the file name, more, show properties, checksum, md5, calculate and compare to the download site.

Also, Viper4G Jellybean really only supports the current radio, 1.12.11.1210.

Hope this helps! :)

good catch there EM. yeah unfortunately you are s-on so upgrading your firmware will be more difficult then if you were s-off.

here is the firmware guide you will need:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/689274-guide-evo-4g-lte-firmware-guide.html

Upvote 0
ocnbrze and EarlyMon, thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions and comments! FWIW, after I looked at the instructions for installing new firmware, given S-ON, I decided to first do a re-download and try a re-install of Viper (ocnbrze's first suggestion) even with my supposed "old" radios. I was pleasantly surprised to find first that the reinstall eliminated the "Unfortunately, settings has stopped" error, and even more importantly, the install seemed to go just fine, and I now seem have everything up and running.

I'm not sure what I might have seen given my old radios combined with the Viper install, but things seem to working great - calls, 3G data, GPS, Wifi, nothing seems amiss. So with that I'll assume I'm good.

Thanks so much for chiming in...these forums, and the time contributions you guys make are really amazing....

Upvote 0
ocnbrze and EarlyMon, thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions and comments! FWIW, after I looked at the instructions for installing new firmware, given S-ON, I decided to first do a re-download and try a re-install of Viper (ocnbrze's first suggestion) even with my supposed "old" radios. I was pleasantly surprised to find first that the reinstall eliminated the "Unfortunately, settings has stopped" error, and even more importantly, the install seemed to go just fine, and I now seem have everything up and running.

I'm not sure what I might have seen given my old radios combined with the Viper install, but things seem to working great - calls, 3G data, GPS, Wifi, nothing seems amiss. So with that I'll assume I'm good.

Thanks so much for chiming in...these forums, and the time contributions you guys make are really amazing....

yeah so here is some troubleshooting tips for the future. if something is not right. you get error messages, things keep force closing or any issues like that then this is what you should do:

1. try wiping dalvik cache and cache and reboot the phone. this usually fixes most issues
2. try wiping dalvik cache and cache(again) and re-flash the rom. some times it could be a bad flash
3. and lastly re-download the rom and try flash it again. sometimes it could be a bad download. or if anything make sure to check md5 sum as described a few posts ago from earlymon

now if you keep getting force closures then there is one other thing that you can also do and that is to boot into recovery and under advanced option in the main menu, there should be a "fix permission" option. sometimes doing that will fix the fc's.

anyways hope this helps in the future.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone...how has 2013 been!!?? I've been a busy boy...hope all is well!! :D

So life got busy first half of the year, hasn't calmed down too much but I popped in here recently and took a look around and noticed that 3.1.6 is now out...cool!!

Questions...based upon the fact that I'm on 3.0.1...

I never received any OTA notifications to update the ROM. Even going to Settings

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone...how has 2013 been!!?? I've been a busy boy...hope all is well!! :D

So life got busy first half of the year, hasn't calmed down too much but I popped in here recently and took a look around and noticed that 3.1.6 is now out...cool!!

Questions...based upon the fact that I'm on 3.0.1...

I never received any OTA notifications to update the ROM. Even going to Settings

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
OK, so I finally got around to S-Off and the new Viper (was still using old Viper until last week.)

Loving it for the most part, but have a couple issues. First, Battery life is not nearly as good as it used to be. Seems to be draining much faster, something like 33-50% faster. Was getting amazing battery life a week ago (before re-rooting with S-Off,) now, not so much.

Also the danged Power Saver somehow borked the transition animations. They do not work anymore, act like power saver is still disabling them. First time power saver kicked in it did not undo any of the changes when I turned it off. Display timeout was still shortened, GPS off, had to manually undo everything it did. Transitions (transition animations under misc in Tweaks) will not come back. Multiple mess with power saver, transition setting, reboot phone, reboot sense, every combination I can think of, nothin'.

Flashed a nandroid from before the issue and cannot re-create it. It seems to be the only problem. Would prefer not to go back a few days and redo all the stuff i've messed with (bunch of minor stuff, annoying to try and remember which minor settings in which apps I need to change.)

No, I am not including the time spent messing with a bunch of stuff in my battery comparison, usage-settings-apps during work hours the same as last week, much worse battery life. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Thats really strange Chief. Do what Crit says and check what your phone is syncing.

Boot to recovery and wipe just the cache and the dalvik cache. Reboot and see where that puts you.

Also a good idea is to grab GSAM battery monitor from the market and let it run for a while. It'll show you what is causing wakelocks, etc.

Lastly, you probably don't want to hear this, you might have to wipe and start from scratch. :(

Upvote 0
Well, the battery may have been simple, I updated PRL and profile last night - kept fogetting to do that, duh. So far today, back to normal. Maybe that's all it needed, will see. Will wipe anyway, see if that clears up transitions.

edit: well until I posted on here, then Google services kept my phone awake for over an hour. >\:

Upvote 0
Make sure all of your apps are updated. Last time I had a few that needed updated Google.services was running a lot.

Also might not be a bad idea to go under settings / apps / all tab / find Play and clear all data. Then find Google.services framework, and clear all that data too.

Then reboot. See if that helps. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

It was Google services-checkin and event log-that were keeping it awake. Wiping Dalvik and cache gave mixed results, not until I wiped data from Google contacts sync app did it really go away. GSAM Battery Monitor rocks! Made it pretty easy to track down the issue.

Still can't figure out the transition thing, also my Bluetooth button on horizontal quick settings sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Weird.

Upvote 0
I've had a few random events with my phone lately, and I'm not sure what is causing it.

I have a car charger, it's a Sprint one from a store, and every once in a while, the thing just locks up. Black screen, power button doesn't wake it up, can't get calls or texts, nuttin. :thinking:

What is really weird, when I disconnect the charger, the charge light stays on. The phone stays like this until I simulate a battery pull. :thinking:

I'm running Viper, so I thought I'd post this here first. I'm not convinced it's the rom, seems more logical it's the kernel which is still stock.

@EM, have you heard of this at all?

Upvote 0
Oh, and if you're using Boat Browser, lay off it for a while.

That won't address your issues but it may help any other strangeness you've seen.

I hate when a good app keeps updating until they break it. Boat is doing some really weird (bad) things under the hood.

Anyway, I think I remember that you're using Maxthon, but tossed this out there just in case.

Keep me posted, best luck! :)

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Got a software update notification this morning, downloading now! :D

Anything special In this rev. EM?

Been pretty tied up on our site, haven't followed this one, sorry. :eek:

Vinchenzop at XDA said:
3.1.6 was released 2 months ago. Update to 3.1.6, then check for another update for 3.1.7.

Changelog

• [7/15]Viper4G 3.1.7
  • Improved lockscreen notifications (should be more reliable)
  • Tweak for animated app drawer background
  • Tweak for animated statusbar pulldown background
  • Updated venomhub w/ option animated pulldowns to download
  • Tweak to display network speed in statusbar
  • New horizontal extended quick settings
  • Updated Some Market Apps (Full ROM only)

NOW AVAIL!

This will likely be the last update until the lte gets its sense 5 update. I'll be locking the thread for an hour or so, so that this notice doesn't get buried.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones