• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Virgin Mobile Revamp [05.15.2013]

The base of this ROM is the U9000 ROM, so you will have the same issues with this as the other, I suggest trying the Sharp ROM or trying to use the mtu script that I refered to when I answered your questions in the U9000 thread.

Mancow has it right. Just replace the x's with your phone number and send yourself a voicemail before you start, just to be sure that the file is created.

My instructions may be a lil outdated as I think somebody mentioned ES has changed it's layout, but the rest of the process is the same.

So, this is how it should be :<string name="vm_number_key_cdma">5175551212</string>

Thanks for re-posting these instructions!! I was trying the instructions in the OP and was about ready to pull my hair out, LOL.

Upvote 0
Great ROM thus far. I've been using it for a couple of days and everything runs very smoothly. I have only come across one minor error, which is that after turning on and off airplane mode, the phone continues to show "emergency calls only", though it will work just fine. Like I said, a very minor point, and likely not even needs to be addressed. Great ROM.

Upvote 0
I have been using this rom for almost a week and I wanted to point out that I didn't once have it stutter or slow down at all. This rom was amazing for reliability with great battery life. The only downfall was missing some of the CM features like volume bottom to switch songs. I just wanted to note the other day the phone ran out of battery and when I plugged it in to charge and turned it on, every program force closed, making the phone unusable until a new rom was flashed. So overall this is a great rom but when it runs out of battery at least for me the whole thing fell apart.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to note the other day the phone ran out of battery and when I plugged it in to charge and turned it on, every program force closed, making the phone unusable until a new rom was flashed. So overall this is a great rom but when it runs out of battery at least for me the whole thing fell apart.

I switched from CM7 to this ROM and have been using it for more than a month and really like it. It is very smooth and works quite well.

I had a similar experience where my phone ran out of battery and shut off, after I charged it the phone would not turn back on. It would get to the Motorola logo, then the VM logo, then would loop back to the Motorola logo, then VM logo... After battery pulls the same would happen until eventually it would get past the VM logo, but it would look like the phone was brand new (the android welcome page/prompt), but then went back into the same loop. I booted into recovery and tried to flash a backup but I still couldn't get past the loop (even with a full wipe and flashing the backup). I eventually had to wipe everything and do a fresh install.

So I guess until that issue is resolved just be careful not to run this out of battery.

Other than that this is a great ROM and probably the most reliable and least buggy out of all the ROMs I have tried.

Thanks to all that worked on this.

Upvote 0
I had something similar happen but it happened with the Sharp & U9000 Roms as well. I had a boot loop similar but not from a dead battery but just starting the phone in the morning after I shut it off the night before. With this Rom, it would get all the way to the unlock screen then reboot. I thought it might have to do with the launcher I was using. I did a full whipe, reflashed the Rom and restored all my apps from backup but have not lock myself to 3rd party launcher app. So far so good going on to the 2nd week.

Upvote 0
Well it's happened again. I almost got to 4 weeks on this ROM but when I started the phone this morning, I was stuck in the boot-loop. Does anyone know how to get out of the boot-loop without flashing and reloading everything? This is just about a deal breaker for me with this ROM/phone.

With any ROM you could try clearing /cache in recovery.

Upvote 0
I ran my phone dead on this rom, idiotically tried to start it up without enough juice, and then all hell broke loose: when it came back up it asked for google account information, I hit to do later...then a never-ending stream of force-closings of every app on the phone. They didn't wait to be run, they ran themselves then crashed as they didn't have authorization from the play store. Rom was wrecked. I tried a bunch of stuff, uninstalling all apps then reinstalling, but as programs were being reinstalled, it said it was out of space, although half the space was empty.

So, wipe rom, clear dalvik cache, install rom from zip. All seems fine. Very traumatic.

Question is, is it normal for programs to be constantly running themselves like that?

Upvote 0
Well it's happened again. I almost got to 4 weeks on this ROM but when I started the phone this morning, I was stuck in the boot-loop. Does anyone know how to get out of the boot-loop without flashing and reloading everything? This is just about a deal breaker for me with this ROM/phone.

Well I wound up whiping the cache and reflashing the ROM. Then I had to reinstall all of my apps (about 100) via My Backup. I timed it this time to restore everything - 1.5hrs. What a pain in the butt! It seems like something gets corrupted in the boot up sequence and that's all she wrote. A couple of more times and I might have to put a fork in this phone unless I can find a solution.

Upvote 0
LoneShark - I just had the exact same problem. My phone reboots by itself several times during the day, and sometimes just freezes and never wakes up. It had frozen, so I popped the battery out like I usually do and when it booted up it was asking for setup and all my apps were force-closing. I know when I put this ROM on when it came out that I factory reset twice, wiped the cache, etc just like the guides recommended. My wife's phone reboots and freezes, but a lot less than mine, but hers is used a LOT less than mine as well.

I'm starting to feel like lambo921, if this thing keeps crapping out it might be time to say goodbye to the Triumph and the $25 grandfathered plan. I will say that I have not noticed any spontaneous reboots for two days now, but I remember it took a week or so before it started happening last time.

Reactions: lambo921
Upvote 0
I could live with the random reboots but the boot-loop locks the phone up. I have all my apps backed up but maybe not up to date and I have to reload email etc. I got to just under 4 weeks before the boot-loop of death appeared this last time. Unless I can find a remedy, this about kills the triumph for me. I've got the $25 plan too but I rather pay a little more than deal with this boot stuff.

Upvote 0
I could live with the random reboots but the boot-loop locks the phone up. I have all my apps backed up but maybe not up to date and I have to reload email etc. I got to just under 4 weeks before the boot-loop of death appeared this last time. Unless I can find a remedy, this about kills the triumph for me. I've got the $25 plan too but I rather pay a little more than deal with this boot stuff.

Well I made it about 5 weeks this time and got the endless boot-loop again today. I lost everything. I've about had it. Stupid phone! I don't recall if I had this problem with CM7 but the GPS was terrible on that ROM so I switch to the Froyo 2.2 ROM's. They all have this problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the point. I'm at a loss.

Upvote 0
Well I made it about 5 weeks this time and got the endless boot-loop again today. I lost everything. I've about had it. Stupid phone! I don't recall if I had this problem with CM7 but the GPS was terrible on that ROM so I switch to the Froyo 2.2 ROM's. They all have this problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the point. I'm at a loss.

It's not the ROM causing your boot loop issues.
Do you have a different sd card you could try?
If not, it might be worth buying a small one just to see if you have one going bad.

fwiw, I play Ingress on CM7 and it makes intensive use of GPS with no issues... well except the normal 1-2 minutes to first lock, which is unavoidable with our device

Upvote 0
It's not the ROM causing your boot loop issues.
Do you have a different sd card you could try?
If not, it might be worth buying a small one just to see if you have one going bad.

fwiw, I play Ingress on CM7 and it makes intensive use of GPS with no issues... well except the normal 1-2 minutes to first lock, which is unavoidable with our device

Thangfish - thanks for the feedback. What makes you thing the SD card might have something to do with it? During boot is the phone trying to read the SD card? It boots all the way to the the sliding lock then recycles. I have a SanDisk 32G in it. Why would reflashing the ROM fix it and the SD Card not touched? The SD Card appears to be good as I have all my apps backed up to the card via My Backup Pro. I just restore them but it takes an hour or so. It's a pain in the butt to have to do once a month!! Any insight to solving the problem I would appreciate. Thanks is advance!

Upvote 0
Thangfish - thanks for the feedback. What makes you thing the SD card might have something to do with it? During boot is the phone trying to read the SD card? It boots all the way to the the sliding lock then recycles. I have a SanDisk 32G in it. Why would reflashing the ROM fix it and the SD Card not touched? The SD Card appears to be good as I have all my apps backed up to the card via My Backup Pro. I just restore them but it takes an hour or so. It's a pain in the butt to have to do once a month!! Any insight to solving the problem I would appreciate. Thanks is advance!

Well to be honest :D that's the only thing I can think of that MIGHT fit. The phone mounts the sd card directly after boot. (Ha... Swype just put booty... mount... booty... ok, never mind) Anyway, it's interesting that it gets as far as the Lockscreen before it happens, and works for awhile (weeks?) before it happens again.
It's just that these froyo Roms don't have a history of instability, you know?
Also, I know you don't want to go back to whatever sd card you may have lying around after being used to that 32gb, and SanDisk has a good rep (lifetime warranty still??) but how about when it happens again, try a known sd card and run a kind of minimal install for awhile just to check it out? Sd cards with sectors (well, cells or whatever) starting to go bad cause weird random shit sometimes.
edit:
I'm assuming you do a full wipe yada yada when changing Roms, and also that you've tried setting permissions after getting it setup and running...

Upvote 0
Well to be honest :D that's the only thing I can think of that MIGHT fit. The phone mounts the sd card directly after boot. (Ha... Swype just put booty... mount... booty... ok, never mind) Anyway, it's interesting that it gets as far as the Lockscreen before it happens, and works for awhile (weeks?) before it happens again.
It's just that these froyo Roms don't have a history of instability, you know?
Also, I know you don't want to go back to whatever sd card you may have lying around after being used to that 32gb, and SanDisk has a good rep (lifetime warranty still??) but how about when it happens again, try a known sd card and run a kind of minimal install for awhile just to check it out? Sd cards with sectors (well, cells or whatever) starting to go bad cause weird random shit sometimes.
edit:
I'm assuming you do a full wipe yada yada when changing Roms, and also that you've tried setting permissions after getting it setup and running...

It's weird that this happens about every 3-5 weeks. Strange! What I could try the next time it happens is swamping out the sd card or removing it and see what happens. Yes on the whipe!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones