• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] CyanogenMod 7 | Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) | Current Version: 09122011

Epic FAIL!! I flashed over the old 0504 with 0505 and got stuck on the new flash boot screen of huawei(with the white lettering instead of black)

I'm reinstalling the ROM now after I formatted boot, will post results in update...

UPDATE: So, I got it to boot up and all MY apps work properly. Problem is the GAPPS(i.e. books, google search, MARKET!!!) all give me "error launching activity"!!! I'm going to attempt to reinstall the gapps and hopefully this will change everything.

let us know how it goes...

Upvote 0
let us know how it goes...

I rebooted and reinstalled the gapps and YAY!!! It all works again, except Maps(stills gives me the "error" message and when I try to uninstall it says "The application was not found in the list of installed applications"...

I'm going to say that this is just a minor issue since everything now works and functions as it did before the flash and I can just download maps again through the market or else where, since Isaacj said the new update is laggy on the Ascend. BUT NOW MY CAMCORDER WORKS!!! THANKS SOOOOO MUCH for this awesome ROM CM team and thanks to Isaacj for porting to the Ascend. Without you all I believe I would have been superphone shopping right now lol

UPDATE: I also noticed quite an increase in the signal strength...was wondering what caused this change and if there is possibly a way to tweak this to make the signal even stronger. I know its mostly hardware that has to do with the signal strength but was suprised to see the increase with just a change of build. Could anyone explain this phenom or is this just superficial?

UPDATE: I went looking for Google Maps on my phone and it was no where to be found...is this do to the new update?

Upvote 0
I rebooted and reinstalled the gapps and YAY!!! It all works again, except Maps(stills gives me the "error" message and when I try to uninstall it says "The application was not found in the list of installed applications"...

I'm going to say that this is just a minor issue since everything now works and functions as it did before the flash and I can just download maps again through the market or else where, since Isaacj said the new update is laggy on the Ascend. BUT NOW MY CAMCORDER WORKS!!! THANKS SOOOOO MUCH for this awesome ROM CM team and thanks to Isaacj for porting to the Ascend. Without you all I believe I would have been superphone shopping right now lol

UPDATE: I also noticed quite an increase in the signal strength...was wondering what caused this change and if there is possibly a way to tweak this to make the signal even stronger. I know its mostly hardware that has to do with the signal strength but was suprised to see the increase with just a change of build. Could anyone explain this phenom or is this just superficial?

UPDATE: I went looking for Google Maps on my phone and it was no where to be found...is this do to the new update?

try to download in market...but did you flash gapps?

Upvote 0
try to download in market...but did you flash gapps?

yes, I flashed gapps after flashing the ROM which brought my other apps just not Maps, I installd from market and everything works fine, must have been a bad flash or something, eh its working great and faster than ever so now on to the customizing :D

Has anyone changed there density? I've tried numerous ones but 150 and 140 seem to be the best.

Also, taking Isaacj suggestion and changing VM to 24M has decrease a LOT of FC that i was having with the previous builds(maybe also due to the new ROM, either way its awesome lol)

Thanks again Isaacj for such a bad ass port, 2.3.4 before CM7.1 I LOVE IT!!!!! lol

Upvote 0
Sounds like those are problems with CM7 (the ringtone problem and app conflicts). I don't work on CyanogenMod, I just port it for this device (because the Ascend isn't and will never be officially supported).

It's still a new project so while I'm figuring out bugs for the Ascend port, they're still working out bugs for the whole ROM. As it gets closer and closer to a newer stable release (7.1.0) more features and bugfixes will trickle in.

You can however look here: Gerrit Code Review

If you find a bug fix to a problem you have that HASN'T been merged, I'll cherry pick the fix and add it.

I looked on both Gerrit, and on Mantis, and they are both reported with a resolution that it will not be fixed...I know its a lot of probably very annoying work to try to make a fix for something like that, but if it were possible i know i would be greatly appreciative. I am sure others would be as well. I was wondering would the code for that portion of CM6 work withing CM7? I am a PC guy so i am not up on how the whole programming and coding works for Android.

On another note i am trying the 05052011 build and gonna see how that goes. CM6 was sucking down battery life like crazy

Upvote 0
I looked on both Gerrit, and on Mantis, and they are both reported with a resolution that it will not be fixed...I know its a lot of probably very annoying work to try to make a fix for something like that, but if it were possible i know i would be greatly appreciative. I am sure others would be as well. I was wondering would the code for that portion of CM6 work withing CM7? I am a PC guy so i am not up on how the whole programming and coding works for Android.

Remind me what it is you're talking about. What fix are you looking for? This thread has gotten kind of long.

Upvote 0
Remind me what it is you're talking about. What fix are you looking for? This thread has gotten kind of long.

Looking for some kind of fix where i can put individual ringtones to my contacts.

Also if someone would be kind enough to write a little guide on how to turn off the sms notifications for the stock messaging that would be nice..just so many settings in CM7, and while its tempting to play with them all for a noob like me its a little scary.

Ok so it appears the in the latest CM7 05052011 that the ringtone issue is indeed fixed. So glory to that...

Upvote 0

su [it will ask for Super User permission. allow it]

a2sd check [make sure everything is okay, kinda confusing at first look but if something is wrong it should stand out]

a2sd zipalign [keeps everything aligned for better performance]

a2sd reinstall [this will put the apps on the sd card]

Now if your SD card is a Class 4 or better and you want to put your Dalvik Cache on your SD card run this command

a2sd cachesd [this will put your Dalvik cache on the sd card]

Reboot your phone if it doesn't do it automatically.

I hope this helps. We are working getting an a2sd thread going here. It should be up soon.
Can I do this with CyanogenMod 7?

Upvote 0
I was going to ask the same question but Istos beat me to it. lol
Thanks!
By the way, how do you wipe out the older version of CWM?

I forgot to add that 3.0.2.8 is compatible with both CM6 and CM7 and I haven't tried it yet but will here soon but should be also compatible with Icarus 1.1. If this is true, i'll test and let you all know, then that means there would never be any need to flash to an earlier version of CWM.

Just follow Isaacj's guide with fastboot, its very easy and painless :D

Upvote 0
I can't really give any advice on the MMS situation. Maybe if I had service, I could test it out and let you know, but my hands are tied. From what I've heard, all you have to do is flash MetroOFF and that's all.

About flashing on top, I had a buddy of mine flash the build last night to test and he didn't wipe. Just make sure that you don't plug the phone in the comp while flashing these ROMs! It causes the flash to go bad. However, you can plug it into the outlet.

If you're concerned about screwing things up, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Hey, did I mention BACKUP? A nandroid backup will take a freeze frame backup snapshot of EVERYTHING, including MMS and text messages. So, that way, if something goes wrong, you can flash back and be okay. Good luck. Happy CM7-ing.
Really? Holy cow. I've had mine plugged in before. I haven't had any trouble. I guess I'm a lucky person! ^.^

This new build is not only fast but, It's got EVERY DARN thing a person could possibly want/need. I'd be super disappointed if people DIDN'T try this!

Thank you for all this time and hard work you've put into this.
I appreciate it and I bet everyone else here does too!

Snag412thankyoublue.jpg

Upvote 0
Really? Holy cow. I've had mine plugged in before. I haven't had any trouble. I guess I'm a lucky person! ^.^

This new build is not only fast but, It's got EVERY DARN thing a person could possibly want/need. I'd be super disappointed if people DIDN'T try this!

Thank you for all this time and hard work you've put into this.
I appreciate it and I bet everyone else here does too!

Snag412thankyoublue.jpg

Tried it and now that i can have custom ringtones to individual contacts am loving it!

Upvote 0
Ive installed the current version.. So far the only thnig I see a bug in still is the video camera.. It worked once for me, but I didnt know if I was recording until I went into the file manager.. Then I tried again and it would go black then back to the home screen..

Quick question.. Is there away to add widgets to the dock bar at the bottom? Or do I need my go launcher?

Upvote 0
Plese please help me! I'm trying to flash the latest build of CM7. As I believe just finished wiping Dalvik Cache ClockworkMod like restarted but I may have accidentally held in the track ball, I don't know what the hell the happened. So anyway I continued with the rest of the steps on Toke's guide and when I try to install CM7 when you choose the Zip form the SD it just restarts itself. I tried installing Gapps and that installs fine though. I already tries restarting ClockWork. I'm download the Cm7 again in case it got screwed up while download. Is this the correct thing to be doing? Please help me. I

Edit: I redownloaded CM7 and now its starting to install. I don't know if I screwed it up though because I tried installing gapps before Cm7 to see if it could install anything. Please pray for me.

Update: Cm7 and now Gapps have both installed. Its now starting up . . .

Success!!! Its working! I thought I bricked but I didn't, I just panicked :)

Upvote 0
hey, so what would be the correct exact step by step way to flash the 05-05-11 build in WITHOUT doing a wipe, i already did backup...how wud i do it?
and do i reinstall gapps, plz tell, because its just very annoying restoring everything, but i wanna do it correctly and not mess up anything

you could just DL the latest build and flash over the current one install and you dont need to flash gapps if you just flash over, but use titu or appkik to backup your app+data recommended, but with me i always wipe to make sure everything is good, cause some peoples have problems flashing over and to less the problems which i havnt really encountering any. i wipe everything, only takes me about 5 minutes to flash from a clean wipe and im up and running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones