• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs ROM's for AT&T Galaxy S4

spartan948265

Aug 6, 2010
Hello all,
I need to find a AOSOP ROM for my Galaxy S4 that does NOT have all the Samsung bloatware attached to it. I am rooted with SuperSU and I have tried to install CyanogenMod but the installer says it doesn't support my phone (which is ironic due to the fact the the S4 has been out for a while). I would like a KitKat release (NOT a leaked/unfinished build if possible). If not could I use a Google Edition AOSOP and flash that or would it brick my phone? Sorry but I am just so tired of Samsung's TouchWiz that I just want killed off. Also I will be using System Encryption so that will need to work as well.

I have tried to install CyanogenMod but the installer says it doesn't support my phone
It doesn't. If you look at the list of supported devices - CyanogenMod Downloads left side, scroll down - you'll see that the S4 isn't there.

But if you're rooted, why not just freeze all the bloat. Then, if the phone runs okay for a few weeks, uninstall it. If there's a problem, unfreeze everything and freeze one at a time.

If it's just TouchWiz that's bothering you, use a different launcher. I haven't seen TW since I got my Note 3 - the first thing I installed was the Nova launcher. (And that doesn't void the warranty, which rooting and flashing a ROM does.)

If you still want AOSP, Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.3 with AOSP Custom ROM is how to install AOSP version 4.3.

Upvote 0
It doesn't. If you look at the list of supported devices - CyanogenMod Downloads left side, scroll down - you'll see that the S4 isn't there.

But if you're rooted, why not just freeze all the bloat. Then, if the phone runs okay for a few weeks, uninstall it. If there's a problem, unfreeze everything and freeze one at a time.

If it's just TouchWiz that's bothering you, use a different launcher. I haven't seen TW since I got my Note 3 - the first thing I installed was the Nova launcher. (And that doesn't void the warranty, which rooting and flashing a ROM does.)

If you still want AOSP, Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.3 with AOSP Custom ROM is how to install AOSP version 4.3.

I did notice that when I would run the installer from the PC side it would say the phone is not compatible but then it would tell me to go to the Downloads section and manually grab it so I did. However there aren't any instructions on how to install it.

I was freezing Samsung's Apps and stuff but then I got an OTA update and it screwed up my phone so badly the screen was flickering and WiFi was awful. I just want to have it stripped out completely. I also cannot freeze the background tasks that support the TouchWiz interface as they are using generic names and I don't want to freeze the wrong task.

So I would I be able to install a Google Play edition on my phone? Doesn't Google Play have no Samsung bloatware?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones