• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root and Password

hen23

Aug 16, 2010
Hello all, I have recently rooted my phone and installed a new theme. I now have a good grip of how to use adb and whatnot, but I have one question left.

I remember reading something somewhere about putting a password in the phone for something that has to do with root. I remember reading how there is always a default password and because of that it makes you very vulnerable to attacks from apps and other people. If someone could inform me that would be great. Thanks

Hello all, I have recently rooted my phone and installed a new theme. I now have a good grip of how to use adb and whatnot, but I have one question left.

I remember reading something somewhere about putting a password in the phone for something that has to do with root. I remember reading how there is always a default password and because of that it makes you very vulnerable to attacks from apps and other people. If someone could inform me that would be great. Thanks

Yeah, what you remember reading was about a jailbroken iPhone and the default password when you ssh'd into it.

Upvote 0
Fabolous is correct. I've had my iPod Touch 2G 32GB for about a year by next month, and I've jailbroken it many times. I use SSH on it constantly and I've changed my root password on it. It has a default password of, "alpine," but I've since changed it to a personal one.

The DX does not have a password of sorts for root access. I mean, there's a password if you try to root your device manually through the shell, but that's different and is the only one that I can think of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones