• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Help

-Mike-

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2011
Baltimore
I rooted a Samsung Moment about 2 years ago. I rooted so I could use one of the 'rooted required' tethering apps. I'm having a few problems and would like to know if anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

1. When I try connecting the phone to my computer, it says it cannot locate device drivers. It will charge, but I cant sync/connect to laptop.

2. I cant get to the app store anymore. My home screen currently shows the app store as "Google Market". My Evo and Galaxy have changed and say Play Store.

3. I can only tether to the laptop that I used to root the phone. I have tried to connect with my Evo and my Galaxy tablet. Both devices dont even see the wifi network, but my laptop sees it and connects and, I have had strangers connect as well. (I run it as an open network)

I'm using the m900 Wireless Tether app.

Phone model # SPH-M900
Firmware- 2.1 Update 1
Baseband Version- S:M900.8.OS.DJ07
Kernel Version- 2.6.29
Build Number- MeatKernel v2.0.9 SDX Developers
Hardware Version- M900.8.0

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

My question isnt about an Evo. I tried posting the same questions at the appropriate forum and after sitting for a week, I have not had any responses. I may be wrong but I think some of my questions/problems may have a generic answer. Here's the copy & paste of my thread from last week. If you can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. If not, dont kill me for post about a Samsung..... lol!

I rooted a Samsung Moment about 2 years ago. I rooted so I could use one of the 'rooted required' tethering apps. I'm having a few problems and would like to know if anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

1. When I try connecting the phone to my computer, it says it cannot locate device drivers. It will charge, but I cant sync/connect to laptop.

2. I cant get to the app store anymore. My home screen currently shows the app store as "Google Market". My Evo and Galaxy have changed and say Play Store.

3. I can only tether to the laptop that I used to root the phone. I have tried to connect with my Evo and my Galaxy tablet. Both devices dont even see the wifi network, but my laptop sees it and connects and, I have had strangers connect as well. (I run it as an open network)

I'm using the m900 Wireless Tether app.

Phone model # SPH-M900
Firmware- 2.1 Update 1
Baseband Version- S:M900.8.OS.DJ07
Kernel Version- 2.6.29
Build Number- MeatKernel v2.0.9 SDX Developers
Hardware Version- M900.8.0

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would try uninstalling, then reinstalling the USB drivers for your phone (do this on the laptop).

As for google market, I would go to settings > applications > click the market app, and delete cache, and delete data for the app. Then try opening the market, and browse around for a bit, in the past when I do this it realizes an update is needed and kicks you out of the market to update (this happened when I installed older roms after Play came out).

Are you using a custom rom, or just a custom kernel? I haven't had any samsung androids. might try doing a nandroid backup and reinstalling your rom to see if that fixes your issues.

Reactions: -Mike-
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones