• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root N1

DVNO

Apr 22, 2010
Chicago
So this is a total noob question. I have a tmobile n1 w the ota froyo. I have been curious with the whole root and flash rom thing idea. My question is it worth it? Does the phone get that much faster with a custom rom? I think my n1 is pretty snappy right now but would obviously love it if it were faster! Sorry for the juvenile question, i just dont know much about rooting and i havent seem much about rooting a nexus that has froyo. Thanks.

Rooting isn't all about speed. It's about many MANY other things.

Rooting an Android device will allow you to have access equal to Administrator right to the underlying OS. It's called ROOTing because the base OS is a version of Linux and Linux/UNIX systems call the Admin level access ROOT.

Advantages to rooting:

1. You get full OS level access to the device.
2. This allows you to:
a. Apply custom Themes (most of the files modded for custom themes are protected and require root access to modify/replace)
b. Run applications with elevated permissions so you can do things with your device you normally would not be able to do (pre-Froyo, you had to buy an app for tethering or root your phone to run the free ones (as an example)).
c. Update system files with custom ones that have been tweaked for various reasons (example: install a custom Kernel that will allow you to overclock the CPU for faster performance).
d. Install custom ROM's that have apps that you cannot uninstall removed for more space, or added features for more customization allowanced.

Disadvantages:

1. For N1 (and most other devices) it voids your warranty
2. Not all ROM's are equal, so sometimes you get buggy ROM's (this happens to regular stock ROM's too), however, Custom ROM's can be more prone to bugs as things are tweaked by the Dev, but all in all, most dev's out there are pretty good and support their ROM's well.
3. Flashing custom ROM's allows you to try various things, but you will find that you flash your device a lot.

I would research and really dig into sites like XDA-Developers.com and read read read. If there is a look/feel you LOVE and want to flash a ROM, then by all means ROOT! If you are happy with Stock, then stay stock.

Just be sure to ALWAYS keep ONE thing in mind:

FOLLOW THE ROM DEV'S FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS!!! They know what's going on and if you stick to the basics, it'll be hard to brick your phone. Just know there is always that possibility.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DVNO
Upvote 0
No. It is very difficult to brick a nexus one as well...the only time that you would really need to worry about bricking the phone is when flashing a new radio image, and even then, as long as you make sure that your battery is charged and that the process is not interrupted, then there's nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones