• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] update.zip method--the stayboogy way [ROOT]

stayboogy

Android Expert
Jun 15, 2012
i developed the first and only update.zip method of rooting (many have tried to copy my work and distribute as their own)

i did this for the zte merit / avail smartphone

i have since been working on porting this method to other devices.

here is the attempt for the acer iconia a200 tablet

ACER ICONIA A200 TABLET
click here
STAYBOOGY'S EASY ROOT

(not sure if this has to be done from honeycomb only, but it should work with the ics / jellybean firmwares as well. no need for the hard to find tool any longer)

DIRECTIONS

rename the file to update.zip (do not modify or extract in any way before using)

put it on the root of your sdcard like so

/sdcard/update.zip

and boot into stock recovery and install

your device should now be rooted without having to unlock the bootloader or anything else.

post results.

i personally don't have the tablet at this time, but i know the method works and i have all the info on the device's partitions and such so if this doesn't work, my honest opinion is that it's user error

enjoy and thank me

IF YOU REPOST, GIVE ME ALL CREDIT AND LINK TO THIS ORIGINAL POST--DO NOT POST THE FILE LINK, LINK TO THIS THREAD ONLY

Reactions: kunna6

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones