• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted and CM7 installed NO ISSUES!

mattcat1

Lurker
Aug 19, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my Thunderbolt day before yesterday and did all my research here. Had a DX and loved the Android system. Was not liking the Sense and heard from you all that it is a resource hog.

So...last night I rooted with Revolutionary method (no problems at all!)

After that I noticed the most recent release of CM7 had come out so I backed up my current rom with ROM manager then installed CM7.

Everything works as far as I can tell.

Saw some had issues with using Swype on Handcent with the auto spacing. It works fine on Handcent for me but I use Dolphin Mini browser and there the auto space does not work for searches.

So in order I did the following:

Rooted (Revolutionary) ***
Backed up ROM
Downloaded CM7 and Google Apps
Installed CM7 through ROM manager
Used WiFi to download/install Radio (Should have downloaded everything before install but live and learn)
Downloaded RootCheck App (Ran it to verify boot)
Downloaded Barnacle WiFi Tether (It works)
Downloaded JuiceDefender Premium (works well)
Downloaded SwypeBeta and installed

Now I have a BadASS TB with CM7 Rom.

It is fast as hell but some may think the smooth transition is slow...its just not abrupt like some ROMs...smooth and fast transitions!

And the juice defender makes my battery last as well as my DX did at least. I am still learning to configure JD and once that is done I think the battery life will improve drastically!

Not sure if I can answer any questions being fairly new (To the TB anyway...I rooted and ROMed the hell out of my DX) but I will gladly try!

Thank you all again for all the great advice!!!

Matt :p

*** be advised that when you look up the revolutionary method there is a youtube video embedded in the website. During the rooting process he refers to a SU video download link...it is not in the site where the video is embedded. Just follow the video directly to youtube and in the video info section the SU file is there for download.

PS: DO NOT FORGET THAT IF YOU ARE TIRED OF YOUR CURRENT SMART PHONE (WITH VERIZON ANYWAY) THEY MAY TAKE YOURS ON TRADE IN...GOT ALMOST $100 FOR MY DX SO MY TB ONLY COST ME $100 TOTAL!!!

Reactions: ssddyakno
awsome! glad you had a good experience and little trouble :) we defiantely appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help out others,the more the merrier,our comunity is growing :)

my only advice,would be to become familiar with recovery and how to make backups,wipe,and flash roms there,if you are not allready.

rom manager is an app,in a working rom,and as such will not always be available for you to use,making recovery youre only option to fix bootloops or bad flashes.

after your comfortable with recovery go ahead and use rom manager if you want(tho i personally do not)

and dont forget to pick up your cigar and blazer from the table :D

Upvote 0
awsome! glad you had a good experience and little trouble :) we defiantely appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help out others,the more the merrier,our comunity is growing :)

my only advice,would be to become familiar with recovery and how to make backups,wipe,and flash roms there,if you are not allready.

rom manager is an app,in a working rom,and as such will not always be available for you to use,making recovery youre only option to fix bootloops or bad flashes.

after your comfortable with recovery go ahead and use rom manager if you want(tho i personally do not)

and dont forget to pick up your cigar and blazer from the table :D

From what I've seen you are right about using recovery in lieu of rom manager. Doing that with my DX always made me feel smarter...lol.

Quick question though..how do I get in to recovery with the TB?

Upvote 0
From what I've seen you are right about using recovery in lieu of rom manager. Doing that with my DX always made me feel smarter...lol.

Quick question though..how do I get in to recovery with the TB?

several ways :)

-use rom manager to "boot into recovery for manual management"
-use "quickboot" or similar app
-power off the phone. power on,while holding volume down. this will take you to hboot,wich is where youll flash new radios and recoverys,or full RUUs if needed. its a while screen with colored letters. use the volume rocker and power button to select "recovery". this will take you to clockwork recovery(unless you chose to install a different one)
-with cm7,holding the powerbutton takes you to a "power off" menu. you can select reboot,then recovery

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
I personally would say to ditch ROM manager. I also would recommend that you look into getting Team Win Recovery!

Also look into flashing your bootloader with a permanent S-off from here. This will allow you to always be able to root any ROM, and you should feel nice and safe knowing you can just reflash a recovery and be back to root territory. Scotty says it is "so safe, so snuggly."

Welcome to the true side of Android! Enjoy your stay.

And scotty, I never got my cigar or blazer. I want them!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones