1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooted and need to use insurance

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thaKing, Dec 20, 2012.

1. thaKing

thaKing Android Enthusiast

I need to replace my S3 as the screen no longer works (at the doctors and he moved the chair with my jacket and it fell on the floor). Now, you can see, barely, about 20% of the screen, but it's all jacked. I am rooted with KyanROM and have a few questions:

1) since I have att insurance, how does that work - do I walk in and they just replace it right there? Or does it need to be sent off?
    2) since I have KyanROM on it, will that matter? Should I try to get back to stock first?
    3) if i have a backup of my KyanROM setup, can that be applied to the new phone, or will that not work?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert

If the phone is the same, you can "restore" the backup in another unit as well. By the way, I would try to get it back to stock. The physical button should be working, try to flash back the stock ROM and do a reset from recovery. What's left is about the flash counter, I don't know whether you can reset it without touching the screen.

3. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

to reset the flash counter u would need triangle away it will reset the flash counter for you but you would need to be looking at the screen. You can flash a stock rom via odin(put the phone in download mode). If u need to find the stock rom u can download it from Sammobile

4. thaKing

I already have the stock rom...does flashing that increase the counter? Reason I ask, KyanROM does not increase the counter. So if going back to stock does not increase the counter, then I'm good.

Btw - started the process for insurance and it said since the screen no longer works (it actually doesn't work at all now) it may fall under the warranty plan.

5. sherlock5545

Flashing stock any ROM does not increase the flash counter. Easy way to check (just to be safe) is to access Download through "Power Button - Home - Volume Down" and see what's written on the top left corner.

6. thaKing

I would, except the display does not work - hence this thread. :p

7. sherlock5545

My bad, i thought you said the screen wasn't working in terms of responsiveness, but you could actually see it, even by a little.

8. thaKing

originally, I could see about 20%. Then I got this BRILLIANT idea and pulled the battery. Now the entire screen is black. I got a call and swiped the screen and was able to answer (yay!) but unsure how to hang up. :D

So, if this is the case, would being on stock matter? I mean, since they cannot see the screen either....

9. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast

I'd almost say you got nothing to lose. I'd still flash stock and do a factory reset (maybe get the button sequence from someone to do it blind) as even if your counter didn't increase, Android might still say its modified (once they fixed the screen).

10. thaKing

Good point...I'll flash to stock before I turn it in.

11. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

What, exactly, does the insurance cover? Does it cover full replacement? Could you just say you lost the phone, ran over it or damaged beyond repair or something?

12. thaKing

Well, I have to find the paperwork on it or talk to ATT to be certain, but I went to the insurance website to fill out a claim. It said that since the display doesn't work it might fall under the normal 1 yr warranty. So that's what I'm hoping. :)

13. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

Good luck, man. Keep us informed.

14. thaKing

Thanks, will do. I just don't know how long the process will take being right around Xmas. I could be without a working phone for a while!

15. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother trying to flash back. In order to deny the warranty, the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 requires that the manufacturer prove your modification resulted in the failure. Since the screen doesn't work due to either a physical defect or because you dropped the phone, the rom you're running doesn't have any bearing this situation.

You indicate the failure occurred due to an accident. Are you using the regular warranty and claiming it simply failed or is there obvious damage that your using an accidental damage insurance plan?

16. thaKing

Hmm, that's interesting to know.

I tried to use the normal insurance claim and listed the display does not work. It said to call the 800 number because the normal 1 yr warranty may cover it. So, I'm going to call that number and see what they say. There is no obvious damage at all. Not a scratch on the phone anywhere, or anything of the sort.

17. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Just "lose" it, get new phone..

18. thaKing

I assume you still get a refurbed phone, right?

19. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast

If he has that kind of insurance in the first place, he's looking at $80 to replace it. If the phone is less than a year old, it will be covered for free under the manufacturers warranty and Verizion will just exchange it.

20. sherlock5545

Well, it depends, some insurance here in England provide a replacement phone for free, you pay the insurance company a monthly fee after all.

21. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

No matter where in the world you are, warranty only covers defect. Accidental breakage is insurance. Thats the difference. Its wasting time contacting warranty department imo.

22. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

they dont give us insurance here :( only warranty that u get with the phone.

23. SUroot

In uk you can pay extra for insurance from carrier or go to a 3rd party.

24. thaKing

Yep...I only contacted warranty dept because as I was filling out online claim it asks what is wrong with the phone. Based on what I put in (screen no longer working) it said to contact warranty not insurance. Well, there is a hairline crack on the inner lcd which I believe is the issue. I took it to a local store and they confirmed what I was thinking - it's not a defect (which I knew) and if I used warranty, I'd be charged full price for the replacement.

So I went through insurance and ordered a replacement, which is the right thing to do. So now my question is, seeing as how I listed a broken internal lcd screen as my problem, should I go back to stock or leave custom rom on there?

I was able to make a backup through CWM - had to find a video so I knew how many times to scroll down, etc. :D I'll have to figure out the same thing if I need to do this for insurance too.

25. SUroot

Insurance probably isn't as bad as warranty for being rooted however, if you can, do

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews