• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooted and need to use insurance

thaKing

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
Lex Vegas
I need to replace my S3 as the screen no longer works (at the doctors and he moved the chair with my jacket and it fell on the floor). Now, you can see, barely, about 20% of the screen, but it's all jacked. I am rooted with KyanROM and have a few questions:

1) since I have att insurance, how does that work - do I walk in and they just replace it right there? Or does it need to be sent off?
2) since I have KyanROM on it, will that matter? Should I try to get back to stock first?
3) if i have a backup of my KyanROM setup, can that be applied to the new phone, or will that not work?

I already have the stock rom...does flashing that increase the counter? Reason I ask, KyanROM does not increase the counter. So if going back to stock does not increase the counter, then I'm good.

Btw - started the process for insurance and it said since the screen no longer works (it actually doesn't work at all now) it may fall under the warranty plan.

Upvote 0
originally, I could see about 20%. Then I got this BRILLIANT idea and pulled the battery. Now the entire screen is black. I got a call and swiped the screen and was able to answer (yay!) but unsure how to hang up. :D

So, if this is the case, would being on stock matter? I mean, since they cannot see the screen either....

Upvote 0
I wouldn't bother trying to flash back. In order to deny the warranty, the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 requires that the manufacturer prove your modification resulted in the failure. Since the screen doesn't work due to either a physical defect or because you dropped the phone, the rom you're running doesn't have any bearing this situation.

You indicate the failure occurred due to an accident. Are you using the regular warranty and claiming it simply failed or is there obvious damage that your using an accidental damage insurance plan?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't bother trying to flash back. In order to deny the warranty, the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 requires that the manufacturer prove your modification resulted in the failure. Since the screen doesn't work due to either a physical defect or because you dropped the phone, the rom you're running doesn't have any bearing this situation.

You indicate the failure occurred due to an accident. Are you using the regular warranty and claiming it simply failed or is there obvious damage that your using an accidental damage insurance plan?
Hmm, that's interesting to know.

I tried to use the normal insurance claim and listed the display does not work. It said to call the 800 number because the normal 1 yr warranty may cover it. So, I'm going to call that number and see what they say. There is no obvious damage at all. Not a scratch on the phone anywhere, or anything of the sort.

Upvote 0
No matter where in the world you are, warranty only covers defect. Accidental breakage is insurance. Thats the difference. Its wasting time contacting warranty department imo.
Yep...I only contacted warranty dept because as I was filling out online claim it asks what is wrong with the phone. Based on what I put in (screen no longer working) it said to contact warranty not insurance. Well, there is a hairline crack on the inner lcd which I believe is the issue. I took it to a local store and they confirmed what I was thinking - it's not a defect (which I knew) and if I used warranty, I'd be charged full price for the replacement.

So I went through insurance and ordered a replacement, which is the right thing to do. So now my question is, seeing as how I listed a broken internal lcd screen as my problem, should I go back to stock or leave custom rom on there?

I was able to make a backup through CWM - had to find a video so I knew how many times to scroll down, etc. :D I'll have to figure out the same thing if I need to do this for insurance too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones