• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted - :Lost the YouTube Tablet Install

Hi everyone- First post in the Xoom arena, my other hang out is the Fascinate threads.

I have had my Zoom WiFi for a few weeks nowm and finally rooted it over the weekend. One thing I noticed is that the YouTube application did not make it back on, so I went about trying to install it.

Everytime I tried to install, I was met with the message, YouTube Not Installed. and the installation would fail so I did some digging around.

In the System>Apps folder there is an APK called YouTubeTablet.apk so I tried to launch it - same issue "You Tube Not Installed" I noticed that the size of the apk was larger than any other installations I had found for You Tube so I copied it off to a safe location and deleted it from the apps folder.

Next I went to the market and search again for You Tube, found, and installed. Installation successful! However it is not the same format or look and feel as it was before root. Prior to Rooting, You tube would scroll and fill the screen like the items in the gallery do... now it is a single column on the far left of the screen and very small text.

I uninstalled and tried to install the YouTubeTablet.apk again... and it fails. Does anyone out there have the unrooted Zoom, that can copy the original YouTubeTablet.apk off or know where I can find it?

Thoughts and Opinions are welcome here

Thanks
Steve
Edit: current installed version is 2.1.6

This thread is already on Google when searching for the same problem. I too need the YouTubeTablet.apk .. the market and Root Explorer say it's there and installed, but no app icon, and won't open (Factory reset doesn't help)

You can get some YouTube functionality back by removing the apk from the system > app folder (copy it out instead of deleting) and then do the install from the market... but it is not the same look as youtubetablet

HTH

Upvote 0
Got it figured out!!!

Found a system dump of the stock 3.0.1 in zip form. Found YoutTubeTablet.apk (1,077 KB) and YouTubeTablet.odex (1,026 KB)

Copied both to System > App folder. Uninstalled version 2.1.6 and rebooted. Lo and behold! There it is! Did not have to install.

Got it back like it was!

If anyone wants the files, I will be happy to stash them somewhere...

Thoughts??

Thanks for all the help!

This link is safe. It is a zip file that sits on one of my test servers... if you need the files, enjoy.

http://www.247charlotte.mobi/files/youtube/YouTubeTablet.zip

Reactions: Psychokitty
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones