• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted my Commando

I'm considering purchasing a Commando but will only do so if I can easily get rid of the crapware and install a tethering app. Is this (rooting I presume?) easily and safely accomplished? I'm not looking for anything ultra fancy, just a basic, durable android phone that is fast and does the things I need.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
UPDATE!!: Root works following these instructions!! I just rooted my wifes' phone!!

If anyone has any luck finding a way to root a 2.3.3 Commando please post.

I need somebody willing to test out a theory:

I just rooted my xperia play (on xda, look for the same username to follow what we had to do)

With my wife's Commando, I got zergRush to work, now I need somebody to try going from zergRush to having your phone rooted

i'm not guaranteeing anything, but it's worth a try for root...

Here are the instructions:

Note: When I say, type in "command" I assume that you will hit enter after every command.

1) Turn on (Check the checkbox for) USB Debugging under Settings->Application->Development

2) Make sure you have a fresh sd card in (some other ones managed to screw up the sd card, I just prefer to be safe)

3) Install the necessary driver (Windows) (Attached)

4) Install Android SDK (if you haven't already)

5) Update android sdk so that you have the platform-tools fold & adb

6) Download all three files from CrimsonSentinal's first post and extract both of the zip files (zergRush.zip, su-3.05-efgh-signed.zip) to a place you'll remember

7) Open up command prompt

8) Navigate to your platform-tools directory in the android sdk

9) Type in "adb kill-server" (once again, not necessary, but it makes sure that it'll work)

10) Type in "adb shell"

11) Type in "mkdir /data/local/tmp"

12) Type "exit" (this should bring you back to the windows command prompt)

13) Type "adb push "C:\[path to zergRush]\zergRush" /data/local/tmp

14) Type in "adb shell"

15) Type in "chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/zergRush"

16) Type in "/data/local/tmp/zergRush"

17) Type in "adb remount"

18) Type in "adb push "C:\[path to su (it's located in the system\bin folder of the su zip)]\su" /system/bin"

19) Type in "adb push "C:\[path to su (it's located in the system\bin folder of the su zip)]\su" /system/xbin"

20) Type in "adb shell"

21) Type in "chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"

22) Type in "chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su"

23) Type in "install "C:\[Path to Superuser.apk]\Superuser.apk""

24) Open up Market in your Xperia Play, Search for "Busybox" install any of the busybox installers (I personally used the free "Busybox Installer")

25) It should ask you if it's ok to run this program in root,

26) Type in "reboot"

27) And you're rooted, enjoy!!

Thanks to: cl8rs for stumbling up zergRush (xperia Play xda Forums),
Ch4lky, ieftm, and the Revolutionary team for making (and updating zergRush)
CrimsonSentinal13 for getting us from adb root to phone rooted (xperia play XDA Forums)

Attachments

• C771_USB_Driver.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 255
  • su.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Superuser.apk
    744.2 KB · Views: 228
  • zergRush.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
Thanks I rerooted my wife's phone.

The only thing is on instructions 23 & 25 don't type "adb".
You should still be in the adb shell.

Thanks again for the step by step.
My wife will leave me alone now. :D

Thanks for the heads up, i fixed it :p

At least your wife wants you to root her phone, I've been trying to convince mine, and she only let me do a quick root to check and see if this worked :p

Upvote 0
Re-rooted my Casio Commando with GB 2.3.3 using zergRush! zergRush root worked for me just now using above instructions from paxchristos...some " " are missing from 18, 19, and 23 I think. Kickass!!! Thanks much!!!

It depends on a couple of things...
1) are you using Windows? (I used linux, it's so much easier :p)
2) are there spaces in the path? (ADB (a stripped down linux terminal) doesn't like spaces... heck, linux doesn't like spaces...)

If so, then yes, when you push/install stuff, use "C:\[Path to whatever]\whatever"

I'll update my post so that people don't get confused

Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm using Windows 7 so the " " were necessary.

Commando is smooth as silk today and much happier. It was rebooting like mad since the 2.3.3 update that unrooted the phone and left it in a wonky state. Before the update, I had only frozen the apps I did not want with Titanium Pro so the GB update went through successfully by itself, but again, left the Commando confused and dazed. All good again and thanks so so much!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones