• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted things possible

So I went looking to see WHY someone might want to have root access to the operating system on their phone. Mind you, I've programmed in everything from binary to C++, and have a Linux file server at the house, so I know a little bit (tho not much) about what it means to log in as the root user with regards to the unlimited access to the operating system. However, this is my first Android phone. My last phone was an HP iPAQ 6945hw Windows Mobile 5 pocket pc - a dinosaur by today's standards, but a worthy companion these last 6 years. I've had my LG Nitro HD just 5 days, so I haven't done many things to it, other than installing a few free to-do list programs for evaluation purposes, a couple of games, and spend time learning my way around the interface.

So, I was curious why one would want root privileges on a cell phone. Specifically, what real-world tasks could be performed thru root access that could not otherwise be done. Now, I know most folks aren't sitting around hacking at the code on their phones all day, just to be able to have an app that plays music with an interface that they want to have.

So, I googled "Android root" & came across some interesting articles. But, before I go further, let me offer this caveat:

CAUTION!!! There are features in some apps that cannot perform without having root access. Some of these apps are designed to do some things which your carrier may offer, but at an additional monthly charge. For example, my carrier charges extra for the mobile hot spot teathering feature. One of these articles provides details of an app that will do that for you. So, there are very real reasons why a carrier might cancel a service if it was found out to be misused.

That said, the first article I found was How and Why to Root your Android: 15 Worthwhile Apps : To Root, or not to Root?
& it had some interesting offerings.

The 2nd article I found was The 10 Best Android Apps that Make Rooting Your Phone Worth the Hassle

and it led to this:

The Always Up-To-Date Guide to Rooting Any Android Phone

All 3 of these articles are very fascinating. Proceed at your own risk.

David
San Antonio, TX

Reactions: Bmxant

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones