• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting AND Unrooting - What Works for my Evo.

Hello all, newbie here. Well, somewhat of a newbie. I've used this forum many times when I've needed help with my Evo. Because of all the help you guys have given me (even if I didn't ask for it, lol), I'm going to post what actually worked for my Evo for rooting AND unrooting it.

For rooting, I downloaded the Unrevoked3 reflash tool, here:

unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32

I ran it, no hiccups, nothing. Just made sure I was in USB debugging mode, and after rerooting after unrooting I found that I had to be in disk drive mode, not just charge only, after I got the whole 'is your firmware too new?' failure message.

Now, when it came to unrooting I did things a little weird. I was considering trading my Evo in for another phone, and just wanted the Superuser Permissions icon removed. To do this I used Root Uninstaller from the Market (free). But then I decided I wanted to get back to a stock ROM because I still had the Clockwork Recovery from Unrevoked. Well, I found out the hard way that you couldn't use a RUU that was an earlier version than the one on there, or something like that... anyway, I used this to get back to (what I believe is) a stock ROM:

RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.exe - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com (sorry it was a huge link)

I ran it and voila! Back to a stock ROM. Or as close as I could get, anyway. I'm sure maybe I'm missing details along the way, so feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them. I'm not a genius but I know enough to root, unroot, and figure out hiccups in between, lol.

I hope I helped someone out there, and thank you all for your wealth of information that helped me when I needed it!

:D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones