• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting clarifications..

gnirtS

Jun 30, 2010
Im considering rooting my stock HTC desire (froyo etc) but only for reasons that i can install apps as system like Wavesecure etc. Ive got no interest playing with custom roms etc.

A few questions i cant get definitive answers to:

(i) is the rooting JUST going to give me SU access rights or is it going to wipe my current stock rom, HTC sense and so on? I want to keep my current room intact and just have SU access on top of that

(ii) Do i need a complete factory reset after doing so or will i lose everything currently installed by doing so?

(iii) Is it going to affect things like marketplace availability, future ROM OTA updates arriving and so on?

(iv) I assume its easy to undo the rooting without lasting issues?

Is unrevoked via SLAX boot the way to go with this?

Help with these appreciated!

teppic74 has answered your queries, but I'd like to add a few comments

(i) is the rooting JUST going to give me SU access rights or is it going to wipe my current stock rom, HTC sense and so on? I want to keep my current room intact and just have SU access on top of that
I guess it depends. You have the option of rooting leaving your current Stock Rom, or you may choose a new ROM. With Unrevoked, it's your wish. It merely gives you SUperuser privileges.

(iii) Is it going to affect things like marketplace availability, future ROM OTA updates arriving and so on?
With some ROMs, you do get OTA updates, but they fail verification and cant be installed. It happened to me with Neophyte's ROMs

(iv) I assume its easy to undo the rooting without lasting issues?
Very easy. You can put a Stock RUU in much the same way you flash it with Unrevoked.

Unrevoked is one of the best ways to go about it. Minimum knowledge needed. Just learn to install adb and windows drivers, and the rest is as easy as a click! :D All the best!

Upvote 0
To remove root and any custom recovery you may have flashed in the rooting process, it is best to use an RUU which will wipe the phone of everything.

If you get mybackup pro, you can install things like SMS once you have set the phone up. Also, some apps etc.

RUU is the only way to remove root really.

See Teppic's thread here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones