• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies

So I tried doing what you said and all I get is the frozen htc white screen. No matter what I try I freeze up and have to take the battery out to start up again. Fresh will always reboot but I cant upgrade or flash another ROM. this is as crazy as the weather!

Im confused now. What exactly happens when you go in to recovery and flash a new rom? Because after you select apply zip from sd card it should say press power to confirm and then install the zip. It shouldnt be going to a white screen until it is complete and you select reboot

Upvote 0
Thank you for your time and I certainly appreciate your help. When I go to Rom Manager and touch Reboot into recovery the screen goes black for a few seconds then the HTC white screen comes up and freezes right there. Then I have to yank out the battery and hit the power button and Fresh 3.3 loads up once again.

No prob! Can you access recovery manually? If not your only other option that i can think of would be to go over to xda and get the necessary files to manually flash clockwork recovery... not sure what's going on but it sounds like your recovery image is no good.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your time and I certainly appreciate your help. When I go to Rom Manager and touch Reboot into recovery the screen goes black for a few seconds then the HTC white screen comes up and freezes right there. Then I have to yank out the battery and hit the power button and Fresh 3.3 loads up once again.

How much time are you giving it in the "white screen of death"??? Are you just giving it a minute or 2 and then freaking out and yanking the battery??? There are times when you just need to leave it be....I was going to post a thread about patience on here. My first recommendation to you is to go thru it all again and when you get that hang up, go take the dog for a walk or take a dump or run some errands. There is a chance that is normal and you just arren't giving it enough time. I am likely wrong, but just thought I would try since I always almost freak out any time a screen hangs during a flash or whatever. Just walk away and do something else.

Upvote 0
Not to sound impatient or anything, but is there an estimated time? I don't want to have to check constantly for the root.

You'll learn soon enough that there is no such thing as an estimated time or date that anything that has to do with Android will be out in. lol It's just one of them things. When it's out, it's out. Word will get around and I guarantee you'll find out. :p

Reactions: GhettoChilds
Upvote 0
How much time are you giving it in the "white screen of death"??? Are you just giving it a minute or 2 and then freaking out and yanking the battery??? There are times when you just need to leave it be....I was going to post a thread about patience on here. My first recommendation to you is to go thru it all again and when you get that hang up, go take the dog for a walk or take a dump or run some errands. There is a chance that is normal and you just arren't giving it enough time. I am likely wrong, but just thought I would try since I always almost freak out any time a screen hangs during a flash or whatever. Just walk away and do something else.

i had the same problem, i had to downgrade my version of clockwork mod recovery, after the downgrade i was able to upgrade to the current version with no problems... in rom manager theres an option to flash an older recovery

Upvote 0
I'm not certain whether anyone here has discovered this thread over at XDA Developers but I've been following it for several days now and think that tonight is the night that I'm going to try to root my EVO, which I (*finally*) was able to purchase earlier this week.

[TOOL][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF - xda-developers

In essence, a few of the hard-working people at XDA have provided detailed instructions on how to configure the latest build's HBoot (version 2.02) with S-OFF, which means that you can flash to a custom ROM if you wish. Like many newer EVO owners, I was a bit crushed to learn that my phone cannot be rooted in a simple one-click manner via unrevoked.

Many people are reporting success with the new method and so, if you don't wish to wait for someone like the people at unrevoked to provide a one-click method for rooting your new EVO, give it a try.

Upvote 0
So I flashed a new ROM and I noticed new changes to my phone, but once I flashed a kernel nothing happened is that supposed to happen. Also, how do I get all of my apps, from before I flashed my to ROM, to my new screen?

Kernels only change code inside the device. No visuals will change. As far as your Apps, you will have to download them again. If you didn't back them up.

Upvote 0
Question, I'm on my 2nd Evo because the first Evo's 4G radio wasn't working. It would constantly go through a scan cycle but never connect to Sprint. I was up to date on everything, except the OTA update which never showed up on stock rom, yet I still wasn't able to connect to 4G. On the first Evo I had previously flashed the several roms till I settled on Myns 2.2 and Kings #11 CFS. I was pulling 4G prior to November 1st (4G towers went live on that day) I was able to connect. I'm not sure if I flashed another kernel after though.

At long last, is it possible that flashing anything could damage the 4G radio? Let alone is it possible to fix it? Currently I won't be able to root/flash till a fool proof/dummy proof/un-damaging proof(b/c of my paranoia) is released for the newer Evos with 3.30.

SideNote: The new stock kernel offers great battery life. ~8 hours with 24% used.

Upvote 0
it keeps just saying waiting for device, when it comes to rooting or anything like that, i have terrible luck

Make sure you are NOT connected to unrEVOked when you open the program. Wait for it to ask for the Device then connect your EVO to the Micro USB and to the PC.

I'm having this same problem. I connect the usb when it says to. When I connect I get the Hardware wizard window that pops up. Am I suppose to cancel it? I cancel it and it does nothing. Also what connection am i suppose to be choosing? Charge only, Disk drive? TIA!

Upvote 0
I'm having this same problem. I connect the usb when it says to. When I connect I get the Hardware wizard window that pops up. Am I suppose to cancel it? I cancel it and it does nothing. Also what connection am i suppose to be choosing? Charge only, Disk drive? TIA!

Reinstall the drivers and it will fire up for you. You may have to do I again after the dirt reboot as well.

You want to be in debugging and charge only on the USB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones