• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting my Desire... not going so well

Actually, Rastaman, I've been very forthcoming... maybe just not clear, and out of ignorance might have left out a detail or two I thought was unimportant but actually isn't...

I got 4EXT Recovery by following a procedure on an XDA post on the Desire, after all other recovery attempts failed - copied the file to the root of my SD card, then flashed it using fastboot I think (whichever the thread said to use).

As to how it ended up at PVT3, I don't know. It showed up after multiple failed unrevoked attempts, but up to that point I'd been following SURoot's guide. Perhaps I loaded the wrong version of hboot drivers, though I thought I got them from SURoot's page. I'm happy to try to install a different set of hboot drivers if you think that'll help.

S-Off I assume happened during the unrevoked3 process.

No big pink anything in hboot. And I'm pretty sure I'm right about it being PVT4 - or at least saying so in HBOOT - as that is what I wrote down, along with software version numbers and some other information - before I began. FWIW this phone shipped with Froyo 2.2. It's unbranded, bought it from Amazon, so it's hard to say why it seems to have/had a mishmash of versions that don't seem to match, apparently, what it should have.

And, once again. I used SURoot's guide to rooting the Desire, until I rain into the CID error. I don't want to downgrade, which is all SUroot offered, so I did a bit more research and came across the Rooting For Dummies guide, which looks to be for the EVO - however, the information on seeing the state of the phone after the CID error seemed non-dangerous, so I checked that, saw that I have S-OFF now, but at the time no recovery.

I then tried, following directions, to load a couple of versions of Clockwork and Amon Ra recoveries (including the version SURoot suggested), all of which failed, though I could not see why. I checked very carefully to ensure I was using the right boot, and the right filename, in the right location. I haven't a clue why they didn't work, but went hunting again and found the XDA Desire thread that suggested 4EXT - out of desperation I tried that and it worked.

Most or all of this is stated in my above posts, but it probably doesn't hurt to put it all in one place.

So again, at this point, I'm PVT3 (can someone explain what that means, and how I can get it back to 4)? I have a working, custom recovery if not one of the "big two", and I am planning on following the advice of SUroot in his most recent posts, and will flash a pre-rooted stock ROM with init.d, after doing a nandroid backup and (yet another) factory reset in recovery.

Thanks to all for your help and advice!

Upvote 0
hmmm, is this a gsm desire (does it have a simcard)
its really odd as unrevoked shouldnt really be able to s-off gsm desires, only cdma
this is very peculiar and as you also mention it doesnt half alfarev it means its using something else

im wondering if you used an old guide that downgraded hboot and somehow its put a ship s-off on the device.
Im still at a loss as to how its changed it from pvt4 to pvt3 as this is not driver based. thats the hardware release of your device. its basically the motherboard and build revision which "should" be hard coded

Im asking these questions as its somewhat making me uncomfortable as what has happened with your device "shouldnt" be possible and i dont know what effect this will have when trying to do other things later.
you mentioned you were using a guide on xda for rooting before coming here. do you know what it is?
while you are the first that has reported this issue i want to find out as much as i can on how youve arrived at this point as if it happens again maybe its not so much of a fluke

Upvote 0
I wish I could explain it myself. This is a GSM phone I purchased from Newegg in early October 2010, if that helps. It came with Froyo 2.2. It proably came from Hong Kong, as that's the English version it gives. Is it normal for a reset Desire, on the language picking screen, to have the initial language in Oriental characters?

It's at least possible that the PVT4 line I have in my notes is something I copied from instructions I was reading. I'm going to say that, based on the Occam's Razor theorum, that's the most likely thing.

Is it possible my phone shipped S-OFF? The Hboot version is .087, which is sort of odd to me as I've not yet seen that version mentioned in any of my internet research...

When I was using SURoot's unrevoked method for rooting, I used only the files he links to for the procedure. So unless that is now considered old, I used the correct hboot file.

Sorry for the confusion. I try to take good notes when I troubleshoot, but in the heat of the moment (and I was getting rather frustrated), I sometimes don't :(

At any rate, I've done a nandroid backup, and am planning on doing a reset in recovery and flashing the suggested pre-rooted stock ROM shortly. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0
Sitrep: Was unable at this time to load the prerooted ROM - I received an error (sorry, I had it all written up here but lost it) complaining that a scripting method was deprecated by Google in version 1.5, and that I had to use some other scripting methods in order to create a zip file that would work. Sounds like a problem with Teppic74's package, but probably is something else.

That's the bad news.

The good news is, apparently I didn't need it anyway for what I was trying to do, which was make more space in the internal memory. I noticed that in SURoot's guide to "easily remove apps", that if I had S-OFF I could just use Root Explorer. So after doing a nandroid restore, I bought it, and did, and happily stripped all the crap off my phone.

So, I have more room than I used to - about 55MB. It's not as much as I'd hoped, seeing I have 148MB of internal memory according to Android System Info, but more than I had before.

I thought Apps2SD was working better - and I suppose it is as I haven't done the little hack yet - but even with all I've done, I still ran out of space before getting all the apps I wanted back on it - I've only 11 apps in the app space - 6 are supposed to be moveable, but aren't.

It'd still be nice to get the pre-rooted ROM on this thing, if anyone can help me with that error.

I'd also like to know is what's still taking up over half of my internal memory, how could I look at that? I've found a couple lists of what's safe to move, but have been very conservative about what I did yank. Should I start a different thread on that?

Upvote 0
You were getting that error due to the recovery. Cwm2.5.0.7 or amonra should be used

And yes, I expected that answer. Any suggestions how I can get it to load? Like I said, I've tried that - and other versions - of both of these recoveries, and yes, ensuring the file name was correct, following instructions to the letter, and they don't load, though the error goes by too fast to see.

I'm also going to contact the author of 4EXT and ask for advice...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones