1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting Now or Later

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by smudgeyjoe, Jan 25, 2011.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    I have the Shift and love it. One of the reasons I got it was to use it as a mobile hot spot for my iPad. I am a newbie in "rooting" and want some advice. Should I try one of those semi-permanent fixes I have read about here or wait until Unrevoked has a version out for the Shift? I currently have the Sprint Overdrive, which I can keep using, but as soon as I can, I want to buy it out and use a rooted software so I don't have to pay to use it as a hot spot. As a retired teacher on a limited income, this would be a big deal!

Advertisement

2. tarpon6

tarpon6 Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Z4 Root is incredibly easy. There is a step by step guide over at Android Central's Shift forum. It's gone after reboot. To restart it all you need to do is hit the icon and the temporary root button..

3. kbrn

kbrn Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    Male
    Androidholic
    Central Florida
    I would recommend to wait. Z4root isn't perm and It's a pain in the butt to re-root everytime you need to reboot, also somehow I think it corrupts stuff in your phone after a while also I was reading somewhere you get slightly different battery life (worse)

4. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Burlington City, NJ
    no. Z4 isnt permanent. but to me, 15 seconds (every time you reboot, which is probably every few days at best) isnt too long to wait to SAVE $30 A MONTH ON TETHERING. i have not noticed anything acting weird as a result of its use and i also get QUITE good battery life as documented here: http://androidforums.com/evo-shift-tips-tricks/254871-battery-life-thread.html

to me its a No-Brainer. this is the ONLY option for root access. there is no waiting, it wont affect anything when a permanent root solution becomes available.

5. tarpon6

tarpon6 Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    There is no battery loss with Z4. I use Z4 with Setcpu. After 11 hours today I had 75% battery left.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    That's not entirely accurate:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Evo Shift Root Exploit and Development Thread

19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root - Android @ MoDaCo

(then click link above for thread and see endorsement in post# 34)

That one is trickier and should only be attempted after reading to see if it's right for you.

It's advantage is that if all goes well - you can set up a automagic unroot-after-boot and never notice that you've lost (and re-gained) root after any reboot.

It's also purported to be less laggy and quicker than z4root.

I caution - it's a bit more complex, don't jump in, pre-read the visionary thread completely before deciding to go this route.

I won't be trying visionary for some days yet (hey - it's _her_ phone) so I can provide no support for that - best to ask all questions on the visionary site.

Because I've not tried it, I'm not endorsing it - just letting you all know what others have thought.

7. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Burlington City, NJ
    ^^ yikes... that seems scary lol. Z4 works wonderfully for what i need it to do. ill be using it untill something a little easier and stable comes along!

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Sounds like perm root has been found:D:D

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. fifedogg

fifedogg Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    It sure has and went flawless for me.