• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the new OTA 1.6 Update?

I'm still looking into root. I've taken a look at Google's mkbootimg source code (android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/system/core.git/tree - mkbootimg/) and figured out what an image is supposed to look like. The changes to the RAM disk are not to hard to make and get everything repacked.

Right now I think the issue is the kernel expects the compressed RAM disk to be in a very specific format. 'cpio -H newc' and 'gzip -n' are not cutting it.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I was able to gain root on the stock 1.6 update from t-mobile. I don't remember where he posted it, but BH_MAN posted a rooted kernel for 1.6. So I flashed the updated odin found here in the original post then flashed the rooted kernel. I was able to install apps that use root to work as well as delete bloatware. However I was not able to get a2sd to work which is kind of a bummer. But since I was able to delete the device manager using root now I never have that 40mb of used space popping up after every reboot like some people had. Once you flash the rooted kernel search for the list of things safe to delete from the BH2 someone posed it on here. Now my phone works perfectly and I have about all the apps I want or need. No FC's or any problems. I have a sleep bug still but I am still diagnosing that. My battery lasted pretty long today and I haven't really calibrated it yet. It seems like the sleep bug is somehow left over from previous roms.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I was able to gain root on the stock 1.6 update from t-mobile. I don't remember where he posted it, but BH_MAN posted a rooted kernel for 1.6. So I flashed the updated odin found here in the original post then flashed the rooted kernel. I was able to install apps that use root to work as well as delete bloatware. However I was not able to get a2sd to work which is kind of a bummer. But since I was able to delete the device manager using root now I never have that 40mb of used space popping up after every reboot like some people had. Once you flash the rooted kernel search for the list of things safe to delete from the BH2 someone posed it on here. Now my phone works perfectly and I have about all the apps I want or need. No FC's or any problems. I have a sleep bug still but I am still diagnosing that. My battery lasted pretty long today and I haven't really calibrated it yet. It seems like the sleep bug is somehow left over from previous roms.

Possibly android spin?

Upvote 0
Heh, by using the rooted kernel from old builds you basically just nullified the benefits of the OTA updated kernel.

To get root and keep the updated bits we need to root THIS kernel.

In the new kernel there is better driver support and other changes and bugfixes that the older kernels did not have, so by flashing that old rooted kernel it's as if you basically flashed back to take5 or one of the other older roms.

Upvote 0
No I haven't flashed back to take five or I wouldn't have the android market that has the T-Mobile tap instead of the downloads tab, and a2sd doesn't work where it would on take5 or BH_MAN's factory 1.6. So while you are basically doing nothing to help anyone out here and are just trying to act smarter than people I have root no bloatware and my BH2 works the same as it did with the updated kernel. How about you were you able to remove any bloatware yet. I never said I rooted this kernel I simply said I was able to get root. So unless you have any solutions to people's problems keep your useless comments to your self.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones