• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

daz_2000

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2011
London, UK
After flashing firmware through Odin, rooting has crossed my mind!

I have been reading, am I correct in saying that people's main reason to root is to freeze bloatware? What specifically have you frozen?

Any other reasons you have rooted that could be beneficial to me? I'm just not sure what bloatware I would freeze. I use Facebook for social hub to get Facebook contact pics.

there are many other reasons to root.. custom roms, other root apps.. i think i posted a whole list in another thread not far back.

the apps u could freeze, for me, are all the hubs (except readers hub, i use that). i still have contact pics from fb, i guess its via the facebook for android app. so i dont use social hub at all. i froze wifi sharing, that apparently causes a drain. samsung app store.. any apps that ur phone came with that u dont use, basically. u can even remove them, if u want to save space.

other reasons to root: create nandroid backups (full system image) or a complete user/system app+data backup (titanium backup), control which apps access the internet, access system folders (yeah, ive found reasons to :D) among many other things. there are plenty of articles on wat benefits rooting gives, just do a quick google ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones