• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rotating photos not saving?

I've noticed this aswell. Any gallery-rotated ones uploaded to facebook come out sideways and i have to re-rotate them on facebook while on a PC. My guess would be that the meta data for orientation doesn't get changed, and the phone just adds a "rotate on view" command tag to the photo for when you look at it in the gallery.

It's annoying, but my only solution at the moment has been to edit the photo within the phone's own editing capabilities (edit-> advanced editing option - not just edit-> rotate), rotate it there, save it as a new photo, then delete the original! Mission I know, but can't see any other solution atm.

Upvote 0
I've noticed this aswell. Any gallery-rotated ones uploaded to facebook come out sideways and i have to re-rotate them on facebook while on a PC. My guess would be that the meta data for orientation doesn't get changed, and the phone just adds a "rotate on view" command tag to the photo for when you look at it in the gallery.

It's annoying, but my only solution at the moment has been to edit the photo within the phone's own editing capabilities (edit-> advanced editing option - not just edit-> rotate), rotate it there, save it as a new photo, then delete the original! Mission I know, but can't see any other solution atm.
is this a glitch?

Upvote 0
is this a glitch?

Probably not. As you said in your last post (over a month ago, lol), re-compressing the image causes it to lose quality, since JPEG is a lossy format. That could be why they don't allow direct rotation like that, since it has to re-compress the photo. Although, the artifacts introduced are minimal at best, and only the trained eye could probably pick them out (and quality and cell phone camera are two things that do not ordinarily go together anyway).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones