• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RS988 LG G5 Slow data (both mobile data and wifi) without VPN

nomnompie

Mar 29, 2010
Hi all.

So I have an odd issue with an LG G5 model RS988 that I am using in East coast USA.

Whether I am on wifi or mobile data with my cricket Sim card (running off att APN) I have high latency in every aspect of data connectivity and slow load times. As soon as I use ANY VPN app to connect, the data speeds are resolved and the high latency goes away.

Rom is stock and has been factory reset. Is there some kind of region thing buried into the Rom making my non VPN connection rout through some garbage hops without the VPN or something and is there anything I can do to fix it?

So that does seem to be an inverted issue (VPN connectivity being faster than conventional). Not to doubt there's a problem, could you post some numbers so there's at least a baseline to work off of? Using a browser app on your G5, go to https://fast.com and do four quick, speed tests. Please post your results.

WiFi only (mobile data disabled)
Download speed -- xx Mbps
Upload speed -- xx Mbps
Latency loaded -- xx ms

Mobile data only (WiFi disabled)
Upload speed -- xx Mbps
Latency loaded -- xx ms

VPN & WiFi only (mobile data disabled)
Upload speed -- xx Mbps
Latency loaded -- xx ms

VPN & Mobile data only (WiFi disabled)
Upload speed -- xx Mbps
Latency loaded -- xx ms

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones