• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Running both WiFi and Mobile Data for an app. How can I do this?

BoricuaSC

Lurker
Oct 14, 2010
Hello -

I'm writing an app that will need both WiFi and Mobile Data running. The reason for this is that the purpose of the app is to auto load pictures to my server. The pictures are coming from my DSLR camera via an EyeFi wireless SD card. For those who don't know, the way the EyeFi card works is by establishing its own private WiFi spot that my phone connects to. Well, because my phone is connected to a WiFi connection (that has no Internet gateway), it cannot upload the pictures unless the EyeFi card WiFi is turned off (which stops sending pictures to my phone). Catch 22.

I know I can code the app to detect the connection and turn WiFi on and off as needed, but it would be easier and more efficient if both connection types were able to run at the same time.

Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones