• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S.G Note 4 Reboot cycle with a twist

Note4Myk

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Hi, yesterday all of sudden my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 suddenly started restarting. its never done this, it hasnt had any recent drops, water accidents or overheating problems.

Ive tried to put it in recovery but itll either restart again or freeze.. then reboot. only once have i got it to go into the recovery screen where i reset the cache but nothing changed.
in some rare cases ive been able to get it to the actual phone but before actually being able to do anything of value it reboots. when rebooting it, it vibrates twice and restarts. i see this as mainly a software issue from experience but as im not able to stay on it long enough without restarting to make any big changes, im sort of stuck. this is my only phone and im not in the financial place to be forking out for a new one, i thought id see if anyone has any advice

p.s the times i was able to get in was when it was plugged into my pc on charge but only when it was actually showing the percentage. welcome to any advice and questions.

thank you for reading and would love to hear some advice

Note 4 has been around for a few years now. Are you still using the original battery it came with? Unexpectedly rebooting and other instability can be caused by a worn out battery, especially given that it seems to be OK when charging.

Its a fairly new battery (couple months) but it hasnt shown any signs of battery loss, it holds charge, charges well, havent had a problem since now

Upvote 0
You might want to try re-flashing a stock ROM, this replaces the Android OS and the Recovery as that sounds like it might be corrupt in some way too, at least going by what you've described. You listed Vodafone as your carrier in your profile so if that's still valid you can download a stock ROM for your Note 4 from here:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?q=galaxy+note+4&exact=1&r=VOD&v=&rpp=15
For details on the flashing process:
https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin
Hopefully you'll be able to at least boot your phone up into its Download Mode to even do the flashing:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-n910c-galaxy-note-4/download-mode/
If not, I have to wonder if there is a hardware issue involved. A Note 4 being a little dated now, it's a possibility some internal component just burned out. You might also want to just remove the battery and let it sit for a several minutes (without the battery that is), in the remote chance there's just some one-off glitch that's the problem. Leaving it completely un-powered will let any residual power in the mobo drain off.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones