• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

I followed the tutorial and got juopunutbear, got S-OFF, but my radio wasn't what you said I should have...but I was able to install the Harmonia ROM you linked, and rebooted into it, went through all the first boot procedures, everything works fine.

About phone shows:
Hardware version: 0002
Software version: Harmonia 3.17

Software information
Android version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense version: 3.6
Software version: Harmonia 3.17

More
Kernel version 3.0.16-g4211684
Baseband version (I assume is the Radio): 1.06.00.0426
Build number: 1.13.652.2_R2 CL372137 release-keys

What does the Radio do? Should I be concerned with not having the same radio version as you said I should?
Hmmm, you're the second person in a row that hit this same radio version. It's nothing to be too concerned about, but we can (and should) fix it easily.

Go back to your HBOOT (bootloader) and issue the following commands again, same as before:
[high]fastboot erase cache[/high]
[HIGH]fastboot oem rebootRUU[/HIGH]
[high]fastboot flash zip shooter_ota_1.14.652.5_1.50.5050jb.zip[/high]
[high]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/high]

Wait for each command to finish before you move on to the next.

Upvote 0
Guide updated to accommodate the above problem. Strange that 2 people have had the same problem in a row... I'll investigate why that's happening and try to fix it if I can find the source of the problem

Dont forget, It didnt take for me either, But it didnt change to what they have.. It stayed to what I had previously.

Did you two happen to check what your radios were before doing all this? Did it change to the 1.06 radio or were you using that before s-offing?

Upvote 0
Dont forget, It didnt take for me either, But it didnt change to what they have.. It stayed to what I had previously.

Did you two happen to check what your radios were before doing all this? Did it change to the 1.06 radio or were you using that before s-offing?
Well, one of the reasons I made this guide was because all of the information out there was in a bunch of different threads, and it took me a long time to figure out what was "ideal" and what wasn't, so my radios & firmware were all over the place for a while.

But anyway, when I flashed that file I was coming from 1.09.00.0706, and it installed properly for me right away. I'm not sure what's causing this, but for now there's a workaround in place.

Just want this guide to help people out, so I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this :smokingsomb:

Any ideas you have are more than welcome.

Upvote 0
So after some experimenting and doing some things I thought may brick my phone, I discovered that:

1) The files are flashed in alphabetical order

2) Changing the file names to flash one before the other will not work. For example, I can't just name the hboot "zhboot.nb0" to make it flash last. If I do that, it won't flash at all. The fastboot RUU program is looking for something named "hboot*.nb0", and doesn't know anything about zhboot, or any other variation.

3) Same applies for the radio.

4) The only thing I could think that *may* work would be to swap the HBOOT and radio names, but I strongly believe that this would cause a brick. If this thing is so heavily dependent upon naming conventions, there must be a reason. If I flash my radio where my HBOOT should be, because the phone thought I knew what I was doing (I'm S-OFF, so...), I'll be in a world of hurt... same for flashing the HBOOT where the radio should be. If it goes wrong, there's no fix for that...

5) In essence, I'm scared to try anything further, and I don't think flashing it a second time if it doesn't take on the first flash is so bad.

Upvote 0
One option would be to split the HBOOT into its own zip file, but then you're still doing 2 flashes.

It might make people get a little more nervous with an extra step or two(Even though its the same procedure). I would just leave it how it is for now, Unless we find a fix for it. Seeing a "Repeat these steps if necessary" is a little more comforting instead of seeing a huge list of many steps. LOL

But thats just me. :D
Others may feel differently.

Reactions: remanifest
Upvote 0
One option would be to split the HBOOT into its own zip file, but then you're still doing 2 flashes.
Well, the original "fix everything" thread has four separate PG86IMG.zip files to flash and plenty of Evo V users have done that.

If the OTA's are downloaded and installed right after getting S-OFF while the stock ROM and recovery are still in place the only file that really needs to be flashed is a custom recovery since downgrading the hboot and flashing a superuser zip aren't necessary if the user plans to flash a custom Sense ROM.

I know there's a concern that some users may not be able to take the OTA's so maybe there could be a file with just the updated firmware for them to flash.

ramjet73

Reactions: remanifest
Upvote 0
Maybe I got lucky, I followed the guide last Saturday and have the correct radio version . Although I did just double check to make sure, would if been embarrassing if I didn't notice that. Fwiw, I was on Windows 7 (64).
Yeah, it seems to be hit or miss on the radio going through with the HBOOT, and I'm not really sure why. For now, I'll leave it as is & hopefully that will stop some confusion.

It seems like everybody who has done a 2nd flash has been successful -- at least, nobody's reported otherwise.

Upvote 0
If the OTA's are downloaded and installed right after getting S-OFF while the stock ROM and recovery are still in place the only file that really needs to be flashed is a custom recovery since downgrading the hboot and flashing a superuser zip aren't necessary if the user plans to flash a custom Sense ROM.

ramjet73

I think this makes the more sense than having everyone flash hboot 1.50.5050 and the OTA firmware. Not everyone is going straight to JB. The procedure also should have the option of rooting the stock ROM instead of going custom.

Upvote 0
Yes it's stock. You can do the bootloader unlock and apply root but before you do s-off, let's make sure you have the right version that was confirmed.
Or maybe he should try the Sprint ICS version first. I don't think anyone has tried that yet and he would end up with hboot 1.58.5858 which would be more appropriate for the 2.95 build.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones