• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S10e vs OnePlus 7 Pro vs Pixel 3 XL

Hey!

So I need some opinions lol I currently use the Note 8 as my daily driver and I'm starting to have some issues with it (screen burn in, battery life etc.) so I'm thinking about upgrading. Being a tech guy is great because you know so much about phones, but, being a tech guy is bad because you know so much about phones lol So this leads me to my issues: I don't know what to get.

I love the S10e, it's small, blue, and reminds me of my old Lumia 635. Plus my Note has been an outstanding phone and I think since Samsung abandoned TouchWiz they are really fast and reliable phones. So I like Samsung products, and this makes me feel getting the S10e is a safe choice.

But I also like the Pixel 3 XL. I had the original Pixel XL, and while I didn't care for that phone too much (battery was atrocious, extremely buggy, and my screen stopped working one day while in my pocket) something about Google phones just attract me. I like their designs, the stock android, and the camera's. Plus I for one actually like the notch on the Pixel 3 XL, I think it makes the phone stand out.

Finally, there is the OnePlus 7 Pro and wow it's nice. The design, the colors, the pop-up camera, warp charge, it's all so nice. Plus I've wanted a One Plus phone since the 3T (I was still on Windows then hahaha)

My biggest concerns are these:
S10e: As much as I like the size, I'm concerned it would be too small. And I already have the Note 8 so I feel like I would be a getting the same experience, just on a smaller phone.
Pixel 3 XL: Google so far has not be known for making...shall I say... trustworthy phones. I'm worried about the display getting burn in, bugs, and some of those other weird issues it's had.
One Plus 7 Pro: The battery life seems to be lacking, the price really isn't as "budget" as it once was, and it's MASSIVE.

Let me know your guys opinions, thanks!

Reactions: psionandy
I doubt my opinion will help much, because my dislike of large phones (on ergonomic grounds) means that there's only one of those I'd consider. Though I know what you mean by "getting the same experience" - when the time comes to replace my Pixel 2 I feel that may count against Google for me (conversely I guess there are people who like the familiarity and choose the same brand for that. Apple would be in trouble without those people ;)).

On burn-in, is that known to be a problem with the Pixel 3 XL? I'm using a Pixel 2, so about the same age as your Note 8, and haven't a trace of it, and the Pixel 2 screen will be using older AMOLED technology than your Note (Samsung always keep the latest generation to themselves). Do you leave the screen on with high brightness a lot? Since all 3 are AMOLED in principle any of them might be vulnerable, but equally it's not inevitable.

I think the way I'd look at it is partly just "which do I like most?" (regardless of technical considerations), and partly "which features matter most to me, and how important is each?". For example, if the camera is important then the Pixel has the best camera quality, and I expect the OnePlus has the worst (it's never been their strong point, though I've not studied samples from this model so far), but all will be usable for most people. Does the lack of a headphone jack bother you? If so the Samsung is the only one with one of those. Do you want expandable/removable storage? Again, only Samsung. Fast updates? In that case Google come top, OnePlus are close and Samsung trail in the distance. Do you like your UI streamlined (favours Google) or full of features (Samsung, with OnePlus between the two)? Does having minimal bezel and no camera cut-out at all appeal? Do you like the ring/silence switch (OnePlus's best feature IMO, never understand why others don't have it)?

And when you've put all of that together and come to a choice, does it feel right or are you disappointed it didn't favour a different option? If you are then that might tell you what you want.

The final test I'd always make: is there anywhere you can look at all 3? That may be harder with OnePlus (though here in the UK O2 shops usually have them), but I always prefer to see the real thing before making the choice: what looks nice on paper can be less interesting in reality or vice-versa, plus I always like to check the ergonomics myself before buying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its the sort of question that i spend agonizing over for weeks... months.. .before i buy a new phone.
And one of the best things about getting a new phone is it will be at least 18 months before i try to think about it again.

In reality though.. I think that all 3 of these options would be 'good enough' for me.. I've owned one of the previous versions of all of these (currently on a pixel) and think i could probably be happy with any of them...(or at least 95% happy which is good enough for me)

So... at this point...if one of them was available on an amazing deal... thats the thing that would sway me

( i realise i've been completely unhelpful here.... your thought process is very similar to mine)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones