• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S7 data unusable on device - hotspot fine !!

kpdunn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2019
I've been through the forums / internet and can't find any solution to this very specific problem. Symptoms: Since returning from abroad 2 months ago, my S7 is barely receiving data from the mobile network at the app layer. e.g. I just tried to load google news and it took about 30 seconds. Next two attempts timed out.

Weird thing is if I enable the hotspot and connect a tablet or laptop, it loads the same page instantly. Therefore antennae is obv. fine, data transfer test from the laptop to the hotspot shows 18Mbps.:

However I can't even run that test directly on the phone. On wifi it behaves better with no noticeable slowness of data transfer.

What I have tried:

• Uninstalling all games, unnecessary apps my kids had on etc.
  • Clearing the cache
  • Using a cache cleaning app
  • factory reset
  • hard reset
  • wiping the APN settings and re-pulling
  • every permutation of the network's APN settings
none of the above has any effect. I've pretty much taken to bringing my 7" tablet around nowadays and hotspotting instead of using the phone directly.

Can anyone please put me out of my misery - am just on the verge of chucking the thing altogether now..

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones