• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 indicator icons too small. Also signal strength?

DaveGrohl

Lurker
Nov 25, 2015
Hi guys. I'm currently trialling a S7 for a few days. There's lots about it I like but one of my biggest problems with it is the size of the indicator icons at the top of the screen. These show stuff like network, signal strength, message notifications, wifi, battery, time, etc. I find the S7's icons pitifully small. My eyes aren't bad but I've never had a phone with such tiny icons. The rest of the icons on the phone are sufficiently sized so why are these particular ones sooooo small? More importantly, how do I make them bigger?

Also what are people's views on the phone's reception? I live in the country in a sandstone house so am well used to very poor reception. My most recent phone is a Moto G 1st gen which I've totally admired, the only thing wrong with it is the camera is poor quality hence the upgrade. I seem to be getting poorer signal strength with the S7. I've switched my SIM card from the S7 into an X Play for a couple of days this morning that I'm also trialling and the signal strength in that is instantly better sat in the same seat in my kitchen. Is the S7 not a great phone for reception?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the reception, don't rely on the signal indicator at the top. That varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Instead, look at the signal strength in dBm (On my Nexus 6, I find it at settings/about/status/Sim Status).
It will be a negative number. Lower the number, better the signal strength (-100 is better than -110).

Upvote 0
The icons are small so as to conserve screen space availability.

Actually, that is just an ancillary benefit. The icons in the notification bar are a fixed size ratio and are relative to pixel density. Let's look at an example. Below you will see the menu bar from my old Nexus One and my Current Nexus 6.

nexus_bar.png

They appear pretty similar shown at a comparative size, Right? Well take a look at how they compare pixel to pixel.

nexus_bar_actual.png

This is because the pixel density of the N6 is twice that of the N1. Here are the numbers.

Nexus One had a screen resolution of 480 x 800 pixels on a 3.7" display. That yields a pixel density of ~252 ppi.
Nexus 6 has a screen resolution of 1440 x 2560 pixels on a 5.96" display. That yields a pixel density of ~496 ppi.

Now, the S7 has the same screen resolution as the N6 but a smaller 5.1" display. The pixel density there is ~557 ppi.

With the same pixel dimensions the N6 and S7 display the notification icons at the same pixel height, but because the S7 has a higher pixel density (packs more pixels into a smaller area) the icons appear ~11% smaller.

Upvote 0
The icons are small so as to conserve screen space availability. Personally I see them as indicators and even at that small size fairly easily differentiated. And my eyes aren't that great. Increasing them in size would reduce the available screen size since the top band would have to be enlarged.
As far as signal reception, you are doing the best thing by trying out your own specific experience in your region. Between carriers and their signal strengths, locations etc. personal experience is the only true way to judge your phones reception. I travel a lot, and have had no issues with reception across the country.
Re signal reception, we have poor signal around our house, always have with different providers. Virtually useless in side the sandstone house to boot. So buying a make of phone that has poorer than average reception would not be at the top of my "wants list".

Saying that the indicators at the top shouldn't be bigger because it would impinge on the screen is really having a laugh. They're tiny on all phones, just that they are minute on the S7, hardly visible.

If nothing can be done then fair enough, grrrrrrrr, but just say so.

Upvote 0
OK, so it turns out you CAN alter the size of the indicator icons after all. Somehow mine had been set to condensed whilst I was fiddling around in the first couple of days I had the phone. If you go into Display then Display scaling, you can have standard or condensed. Mystery over. My gf's just got a S7 to have a go with today and I couldn't weigh up why her indicator icons were bigger. Narrowed it down eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
Regarding the reception, don't rely on the signal indicator at the top. That varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Instead, look at the signal strength in dBm (On my Nexus 6, I find it at settings/about/status/Sim Status).
It will be a negative number. Lower the number, better the signal strength (-100 is better than -110).

-110 is lower than -100. Which is the 'better' number to have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones