• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Raphael, my Greyhound, is gone. He was 11 1/2 and retried to my couch in October '12 after running 175 races. He'd been slowing down for a while, mostly just slept and started losing his his appetite 2 weeks or so ago but totally stopped eating and drinking Tuesday night. He had ongoing issues from a tick borne disease and had kidney disease and he was recently diagnosed with cancer. So Wednesday he napped in the sun and I got him a rotisserie chicken that he did eat but it was time to say goodbye let him go. He was such a goofy animated silly sweetheart, I'll miss him always.

1669233952099.jpg

I’m saddened to hear that your dear furriend is no longer at your side, but I’m grateful you rescued Raphael and gave him a wonderful home and lots of love for his “retirement” years.
We never get to keep our sweet furriends with us as long as we’d like, but they do live forever in our hearts (which they stole a long time ago anyway!).
May your sweet and precious memories overcome the deep sadness.
Rest easy and run fast and free, dear Raphael. Your family will love you forever. <3

Upvote 0
Raphael, my Greyhound, is gone. He was 11 1/2 and retried to my couch in October '12 after running 175 races. He'd been slowing down for a while, mostly just slept and started losing his his appetite 2 weeks or so ago but totally stopped eating and drinking Tuesday night. He had ongoing issues from a tick borne disease and had kidney disease and he was recently diagnosed with cancer. So Wednesday he napped in the sun and I got him a rotisserie chicken that he did eat but it was time to say goodbye let him go. He was such a goofy animated silly sweetheart, I'll miss him always.

View attachment 167817
I'm so sorry, Clementine. I've only just read this sad news, so please excuse the late response.

What a beautiful boy Raphael was! So regal looking. And all that sugar on his face--eleven years of your love and care made Raphael a happy boy!

You know I know there are no words to really help. Just trust that my heart breaks for you at learning this news, but I'm glad for both of you that you had each other. I feel confident that Raphael has settled in at Rainbow Bridge now, and is spending his days lounging in the sun, carefree and worry-free. RIP, sweet boy.

Upvote 0
It's the worst part of being a pet parent: outliving them and knowing when it's time to say goodbye.

Giving our pet one last, best day is always a bittersweet send-off to Rainbow Bridge... but Raphael is playing with all the other departed pets, awaiting the great reunion with you.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts, it's never easy, ugh.

Tickle (gsd) keeps me busy but she is having issues as well and the handwriting is on the wall. She is 10 1/2 and has degenerative myleopathy, the canine version of ALS and it's getting worse. She's doing OK-ish but loses her balance and stumbles a lot, her back legs 'melt' from underneath her and she sometimes walks on the tops of her feet, she has no control - it's terrible to watch. She's not in pain and is actually her normal happy self - just a drunken sailor.

Upvote 0
The last two dogs I had the honor of sharing life with were a pair of Shih-Tzus. The female was a year older than the male and we did her a great disservice by selfishly letting her suffer far longer than we should have. When the male's quality of life became dire we had them both put down at the same time. They wouldn't allow us to be a part of the process so we had to say goodbye and simply leave them. The female had no idea of anything but as I turned back to the glass door to the room we said our goodbyes in, the male had his nose pressed against the door watching us leave. The image and the memory will haunt me the rest of my life. I know we did the right thing but it still burns a hole in my heart.

Upvote 0
The last two dogs I had the honor of sharing life with were a pair of Shih-Tzus. The female was a year older than the male and we did her a great disservice by selfishly letting her suffer far longer than we should have. When the male's quality of life became dire we had them both put down at the same time. They wouldn't allow us to be a part of the process so we had to say goodbye and simply leave them. The female had no idea of anything but as I turned back to the glass door to the room we said our goodbyes in, the male had his nose pressed against the door watching us leave. The image and the memory will haunt me the rest of my life. I know we did the right thing but it still burns a hole in my heart.
I wonder why you weren't allowed to be with your beloved dogs when they were put down. That's so sad...for all of you. :cry:

Upvote 0
I wonder why you weren't allowed to be with your beloved dogs when they were put down. That's so sad...for all of you. :cry:
They allowed loved one's to be part of the process a decade or so earlier when we said our goodbyes to our first Shih-Tzu. It was a total surprise.

Upvote 0
They allowed loved one's to be part of the process a decade or so earlier when we said our goodbyes to our first Shih-Tzu. It was a total surprise.
I'm not sure I can word this so it doesn't come out wrong, but I think I would've left--taken my dogs with me and gone to a different vet. :eek: Holding and comforting each pet as they were put down was a BIG DEAL to me, and if I was told I had to just leave them...I don't know. We never KNOW for sure what we'd do under any circumstance until we're actually in it, so I can't say any more without sounding like an idiot.

Upvote 0
Was it during the pandemic? I know I had to wait in the car during visits, the vet would call to discuss stuff before the exam and then again after, then they'd bring the dogs out. I was so happy they were able to see patients, a lot weren't. Strange times.
From the way he described it, i.e., being in a room they said their goodbyes in, etc., I didn't think it was during the pandemic.

Upvote 0
From the way he described it, i.e., being in a room they said their goodbyes in, etc., I didn't think it was during the pandemic.
I thought that and it seems like it would have been before that anyway. I, like you, am puzzled and sad for our friend.

Upvote 0
We have a lady out of Nashville who is a Euthanasia at Home provider. When we said farewell to Angel the Jack Russell Terrorist, she came to our home. While we had a nice blanket bed laid out for Angel in the living room, Angel enjoyed the cooler concrete front porch. So we moved the transition out to the front porch. I was right there as the provider started the IV sedative: and Angel was so ready to go, racked by pancreatitis. I assured her she was such a good dog as she went to sleep and, at my nod, the euthanizing dose went in. It's one of the most painful things I've ever done. Yes, I know people who will just put a 22-caliber slug in their dog... but we could never do that to member of the family. Our two Shih Tzu money pits are pushing 14 and they're so co-dependent, hating to love each other, that we still believe it will be a double bon voyage when they go. We'll be absolute train wrecks for a month, too.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your thoughts. The euthanasia was performed 8/27/21 at our county humane society / animal shelter facility. We were checked in and then given a room where we filled out the paper work and then given some private time with our loved pets.
After a lot of tears and petting she returned and asked if we needed more time or if we were done. We said we were ready and she invited us to leave. We both said that we had a desire to be with our family until the end and she informed us it was against their policy. We could have asked for our check back and tried to find a vet.. our vet did not do euthanasia. We were so distraught that we just walked to the car and bawled. With a clearer mind I would have left my little girl there and taken my boy somewhere else.
She was near comatose and had no control over her body functions. She had no clue if we were there or not. The male wasn't in much better health but still had some wits about him.

Upvote 0
My heart breaks for you, @olbriar in that you were denied those last few minutes. It makes a large difference to you: but she is running free and playing at Rainbow Bridge, happy & healthy nonetheless. Allow yourselves to go through the natural, and necessary, grief process. It's important that you all do so.

In our living room is a portrait of Angel, framed and matted, near the front door. In the matte is her name tag. Just a reminder to never forget that stupid dog. And yes: as much as we loved her and vice versa, she was a stupid dog...

Upvote 0
In case the reader is unfamiliar with Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Upvote 0
I've had the pleasure to share life with 18 dogs and that's not counting one litter of Dalmatians. Each, though differently, proved to be a treasure. They are such a loving and trusting animal. In the waning years of our last Shih-tzus we had a litter of kitties born in my shed. One day one of the kittens followed the dogs back into the house and decided she would stay. I guess we looked like easy marks and she was right. We are now her servants. I've kept birds most of my life. I raised pigeons as a kid and have had many parakeets and cockateels. For the last 20 years I've shared this office with an eclectus parrot. All pets are more than that. They become family and it's extremely difficult to say goodbye. Gone but not forgotten.

One of the more unusual pets I had was a chameleon. For a scout outing, our leader took us to see the circus. One of the kids bought a chameleon but decided on the way home that his mother wouldn't let him keep it so he gave it to me. He had the full run of my house and enjoyed a grand life. He would come to see me when I came home from school and want attention. I'd take him outside in the summer months and let him roam the yard. I don't think they normally live long but we shared good times for three or four years. I eventually lost him in the front yard and I suspect he's still roaming my home town. :)

Upvote 0
I am the king of unusual pets. I live in Kentucky, which is the heart of deer and rabbit-hunting country. Any pet that's not a carnivore isn't a pet to people here, as they tell me often, "I can't imagine sharing my life with any animal who couldn't enjoy a good steak"

Let's say I am not very popular here. I'm unique though, with my own sense of style. But the animals in my life have always come at the right time, when I needed someone.

Daisy Deer (1996-2013, I met her in 2009);

12 - 1.jpg

IMG_45741977507203.jpeg

Bubbles aka 'Bubby Boy' aka 'Bubster' (2017-2022 2023):

20220128_102342.jpg

20210905_183903.jpg

These are my new babies, Spot and Fiver, yes, Fiver's name is inspired by the Richard Adams book and subsequent movie, Watership Down
20230611_143603.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones