• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Epic 4G unlock/international use???

ishtar8

Lurker
Jan 26, 2012
Hi,

I'm getting confused googling around trying to find out how to use my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G while traveling in Thailand (or another solution).

I can't tell if you can unlock these phones and, if you can, if it even matters overseas where they mostly use GSM

Here is what I want to be able to do:

Be able to receive calls to my primary U.S number while in Thailand
Be able to use data services on my phone while abroad for google searches, etc.
Not simply buy a sprint international plan for a million dollars a minute

How do I best accomplish this?

Help (in laymans terms ) is GREATLY appreciated!

The Epic is a CDMA-only device, and Thailand only runs GSM. Simply put, your phone will not work on cellular networks in Thailand.

But since the phone will work on Wi-Fi, bring it anyway. You won't be able to use your own phone number, but with the help of services like Skype, you might have some way to make voice calls to the USA or elsewhere. If all else fails, at least you'll have access to the web, Facebook, E-Mail, etc.

Upvote 0
With your current phone you cannot dial internationally but just a bit of info for you... If you were to buy the international version (european version) then I believe those DO come with a changable sim card that you can swap out while overseas. You may not have your same number but you will have a phone you can use for cheap. Also, I am pretty sure you will still be restricted to wifi for internet. I am not familiar with data plans overseas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones