• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help samsung galaxy apps missing

Cool, thought it might be.. It came from a custom rom, so i guess the guy modified it to reflect his username.

I'll edit the post above for consitancy and in case anyone direct links to it.

If anyone tries this, can they try just deleting the cache, then reboot, then try to search for a missing app over GPRS/3G first and see if that works i.e. without the fingerprint.

Hi kam187 - first, just wanted to say thanks for the detailed response to my question.

Regarding your message above, I cleared my cache and connected to the Market via GPRS (T-Mobile UK, I7500XXIH7); still no Doggcatcher for me.

I've got an O2 UK SIM at home which I'll try it again with tonight.

Failing that, I suspect it's time to root my phone and play with the fingerprint. My understanding of the preceding posts is that I should maybe change it to a G1 since this is available from T-Mobile UK (hence it would be consistent with my SIM and no MarketEnabler required).

Thanks again!

Chris

Upvote 0
No, actually the fingerprint only enables or disables paid apps, and that's all you need. So any existing android phone will do - just make sure its 1.5 because otherwise apps built with the new sdk won't show.

Market enabler is something you can use on top, to show you apps that are not available in your region - like US apps. You don't need to use market enabler to fix the paid apps problem - its an extra.

EDIT:
In fact maybe the Samsung G8 firmware fingerprint would be better to use. Can someone give it a try and let us know if it works

Upvote 0
No, actually the fingerprint only enables or disables paid apps, and that's all you need. So any existing android phone will do - just make sure its 1.5 because otherwise apps built with the new sdk won't show.

Market enabler is something you can use on top, to show you apps that are not available in your region - like US apps. You don't need to use market enabler to fix the paid apps problem - its an extra.

OK.. I can see paid apps, so it doesn't sound like a fingerprint issue then. It's only one single paid app I can't find (Doggcatcher), so the granularity of my problem would suggest it's a region issue. Yet I'm in the UK and using a UK SIM.

Oh well, not the end of the world if I can't get it, and I really appreciate your help.

Chris

Upvote 0
Actually the fingerprint info is to identify if the phone is a normal unrooted or the developer phone ie ADP1 and then hide copy protected apps for ADP1. The reason for this is that on the ADP1, root access is enabled by default and hence it will be possible to copy any app from the phone out.

The network operator code is to allow operators to block out certain types of programs if they want google to do so. So by spoofing the code, you can access apps that your provider doesn't like... like say tethering apps on at&t.

Oh and the operator code allows the market to decide if you can see paid apps.

Upvote 0
Yep... but it seems new roms (hero had the problem, galaxy had it, saphire had it) apps go missing. That's why i think its a whitelist and not a blacklist.

Having said that it still doesnt make sense because 'missing apps' in this case doesnt mean paid apps, but a random combination of free and paid apps! I have a feeling maybe its something to do with compatability marked against each app or something.

Still doesnt make much sense, but oh well :-/

Upvote 0
Surprisingly, I'm having again this problem. I installed mustymod and then, some apps (i suppose copy-protected ones) are missing. I have reinstalled IK5, IK4, IH7, and even changed the fingerprint. I have removed all the cache (and all the data) about com.android.vending, and even dalvik-cache related to the market.

Nothing seems to work. And I've tried everything I've seen around...

Is there any way to fix this? Is just a server thing and I have to wait for something? Or maybe my gmail account has been marked as "developer" and I won't ever be able to access to these apps?

Layar, Crazy Stories or barcode scanner are some of the apps I cannot see...

Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok, retested:

PDA: I7500XXIK4
Phone: I7500XXIK4
CSC: I7500O2UIK5

With a spanish Movistar SIM. I had no problems using this firmware with free apps like layar, or paid apps like Crazy stories. Before testing mustymod I had these apps available. Now they are not there. I've tested to:

- kill market process (until ps showed it wasn't running)
- cleared /data/data/com.android.vending/cache/*
- reboot

And market still doesn't show these apps... any other idea?

Upvote 0
I'm on IK5 and I can see paid MyBackup, Layar and other stuff. It's whitelisted!
I guess paid apps may also be blocked by your IP. When I travelled to Russia last month and used WiFi there - I could not access paid apps, as they are all blocked in Russia.

May be you IP range is not "whitelisted" somehow?

Update:
Though I also used Russian SIM-card then, which might also make a difference. Could it? I don't know.

The point is, I'm now on IK5 on Three UK and I have access to all apps (except those US-only of course)

Upvote 0
Uhmmm... I can access to paid apps, and I can also see doggCatcher (copy-protected). I cannot see Layar (free copy-protected) and Crazy Stories (which is paid app and I think copy-protected). Also MyBackup and MyBackup Pro are shown. Do anybody know more apps from both sides?

I think that Google also has a server-side cache for my previous searchs, and until it's not cleared, I will not be able to download these apps (which I tried to search using mustymod). I hope this is true and cache is cleared frequently :p

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I'm a new user but i'm reading this forum about four months ago.
I have the same problem like dexem. I installed MustyMod Eclair Rom to test it and
when i returned to the ii5 rom i saw that a lot of applications of the market
have disappeared.
But when i change the google user of the phone (clearing google apps cache) i can
see all the applications like Crazy Stories, Layar, Nimbuzz, Barcode
Scanner, etc. But if return to my normal google account these applications
disappear from the market.
Any idea? Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones