• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment - No audible notification for messsages

Bob, if this phone pisses you off, don't go Hero!!! You will be redoing your sheetrock shortly thereafter because it will be thru the wall. The patience I was referring to is just learning how the phone works....that is all...not waiting for someone else to do it for you(which is the determination I was referring to). It is a computer and like a computer, there are MANY different ways to skin a cat. Figure out which way works for you and go with it. It is just getting comfortable with it!!!

And please accept my apologies if I offended,
John

Please no drywall repairs..:eek:
I am a home Inspector :)

Why do you hate the Hero other than keyboard?
I was seriously thinking of going back to the Sprint store to give it a look again.

Has LED,GPS not an issue from what I can tell,and no keyboard sliding out to kill my battery when the thing opens up slightly on my belt.

Just curious if you can tell me what I would hate on the Hero.

Upvote 0
Please no drywall repairs..:eek:
I am a home Inspector :)

Why do you hate the Hero other than keyboard?
I was seriously thinking of going back to the Sprint store to give it a look again.

Has LED,GPS not an issue from what I can tell,and no keyboard sliding out to kill my battery when the thing opens up slightly on my belt.

Just curious if you can tell me what I would hate on the Hero.

LAG!!!!!!!!!!! Making a selection on the touchscreen....and then no feedback....and then you're wondering if you made the proper selection.....and then right when you go to re-select.....your original selection goes though and the screen changes and then your re-selection occurs on a new screen which is an improper selection........does that make sense??????!!!!!! Happened all the time and absolutely drove me nuts. The funny thing is that the laggiest part of the whole phone was.......THE PHONE app.....dialer...contacts....everything. You were always waiting for your selections to go through. When you go to the Sprint store....make sure you use THE PHONE part of the phone!!!!! It is the worst part of THE PHONE!!!!

Many times the screen lag is almost a second......and the Hero fanboys always ask...."you are sure are impatient if you can't spare a second".....those seconds add up....QUICKLY!

LED does not bother me....as I said, just make sure you check your phone if you leave it unattended......this is a carryover from the Instinct.

The "slideout" issue.....I have not experienced....at least not to my knowledge. I carry my phone in my pocket so maybe it has occured.....I do not know.

Upvote 0
Here is the perfect notification reminder with full control.

Download Missed Reminder (Android) 0.9.3 beta for Android - A simple tool to remind you about missed messages (MMS/SMS) and missed calls. - Softpedia

No more need to look.

Sets time , vibrate, sound.

Be sure to set all the timers properly as it works great.:D:D:D

I just found that one yesterday. Was getting tired of not being able to find my missed calls. They weren't all showing up if a message was not left. Also installed call log. So far both are working well.

Upvote 0
Okay folks.....lotsa basic crap being tossed about here. Most of your answers are in settings>sounds and display>xxxx

To the original poster, you have to select your SMS to actually show up in the status bar and when you do that, you can assign it a ringtone. To the person irritated by the vibration....you can disable it here. To the guy that needs a longer ring/vibrate, there are a few ringtone apps you can download and that should solve your problem

Does that allow you to have a longer ringtone ? If so, how do you get the sms to show up in the status bar other than when you get a text ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Does that allow you to have a longer ringtone ? If so, how do you get the sms to show up in the status bar other than when you get a text ?

Thanks

Just go through the settings for all the notification stuff in those programs.

One way to extend from what I read is to down load a MP3 style ringtone and customize it.

Email sends notification and you will find that downloading more than one app causes multiple notifications.

I am liking the phone more and more.(takes time)

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that Handcent gave you the option to make the home, menu and back buttons flash when you had a notification. I am positive I read another post here which claimed that. As for the Hero's notification light, it can only blink one color (green), and it only blinks for 5 min. after you get a notification, then it shuts off. If you don't see the LED within 5 min. you wont even know you have a notification until the next time you turn on the screen.

To those of you contemplating the Hero, don't do it! I currently have the Hero and I cant stand it. Its next to impossible to type on, the on screen keyboard completely sucks and it can't keep up with you while you're typing. It lags behind by one to two words constantly, which is very annoying. I even downloaded Better Keyboard from the market, and, while slightly better, it doesn't make me wanna keep this phone.

I could go on and on about the horrible lag the Hero has as well, but everyone here knows about that already. I'm currently trying to trade my Hero for a Moment. I have to resort to craigslist since I'm outside my 30 days.

If you want Blackberry functionality, get a Blackberry. If you want a phone with Android, look elsewhere than the Hero.

Upvote 0
I was dead set on getting the Hero myself. I was on my way to BB to get it but I decided at the last minute to go to the Sprint store and play with it again for a few minutes. I couldnt hit one key for nothing on that phone. I played for 5 minutes trying to type in my simple website and kept being off by 2 or 3 keys. I though "no way" so I went and got the moment. So glad I did. The on screen keyboard on the moment actually works pretty good. It's not as buggy as the Hero if I decide to use it.

And Thanks BobE,
When I get back later today Im gonna finally have time to mess with the phone for a little while.

Upvote 0
I can't find it :(

One more thind ==g do you know how to upload pics to facebook?

Chrissy, hit the menu button while you are viewing your selected pic. One of your choices will be "share". Select it.

You are then given numerous choices....none of which is Facebook which I think was stupid. You select "photo and video places". It will be empty and then you have to set up Facebook in this folder. I honestly don't remember how it went but it should be relatively easy.....if I could do it.

Upvote 0
Chrissy, hit the menu button while you are viewing your selected pic. One of your choices will be "share". Select it.

You are then given numerous choices....none of which is Facebook which I think was stupid. You select "photo and video places". It will be empty and then you have to set up Facebook in this folder. I honestly don't remember how it went but it should be relatively easy.....if I could do it.

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
OK misread you.

...Still have issue with no LED display but that can never be fixed unless someone develops a blinking keyboard app. (hint)
Come-on developers, you can get rich at .99 a pop times 100,000 or so.

If I knew code I would be doing it right now.

That's a good Idea, maybe a developer can also add a vibrate and/or beep at a set interval for a missed event. for this app. :)

Upvote 0
Try Flash Notify, it will flash your entire screen in whatever interval you want after you miss something

Ain't that cool! Works perfect!

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. Once you've cleared the notification shouldn't Flash Notify stop flashing? I don't think it's going to stop until the time limit in the settings is reached.

EDIT2: Looks like you have to open the call log to get it to stop flashing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones