• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung SII International in Japan?

ishel

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
I have a Samsung SII I9100 the specification of which include:
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
SIM Mini-SIM

Will this work in Japan on a network which specifies the following:
"Your device must support one of the following frequency
LTE Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz), Band 21 (1500MHz)
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz)"

The way I read this, the common area between my phone and the above specs seems to be covered by "HSDPA 2100"... but am I missing something?

I understand there is no GSM in Japan, but will my phone work on 3G there?

And a mini-sim means a standard phone sim, I believe? (ie, not micro or nano?)

Any help appreciated.

Your phone is a GSM phone. Japan uses CDMA. The phone won't work there, regardless of frequencies. The technologies are different. Their 2G and your phone's 2G can't talk to each other.

And there are FOUR SIM sizes - standard, mini, micro and nano. Standard is much larger than mini. If you want to swap your SIM between phones, you can buy a kit of 3 adapters for about a buck or two on eBay. Get a nano SIM from your carrier and you can put it into the micro, mini or standard adapter and use it on any GSM phone. Look for sim adapter.

Reactions: ishel
Upvote 0
Their 2G and your phone's 2G can't talk to each other.

So the fact that the phone also has 3G capability and HSDPA is mentioned both for my phone (under 3G) and for the Japanese carrier's system, has no bearing on this?

The other clarification I should have made: the Japanese carrier I am interested in offers data only (apparently getting a voice sim for your own phone in Japan is very tricky). But the same incompatibility will still apply, I'm guessing?

Thanks for your detailed response, though, Rukbat; also for clearing up on the sim questions! Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones